Inn Fridge

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I reserve the right to change my answer:
UNLESS you are a b&B in Colorado or Washington State, THEN I highly recommend a mini bar FULL OF GOODIES AND SNACK FOODS and charge em danno!
and
a pizza delivery # where you get a % off the top of all pizza charges.
Edited to add: for those who have no idea what I am talking about, that is fine. .
What is the goodies in the fridge were home made and unavailable elsewhere, vaccuum sealed in canning jars. Things like "Piggy Brittle" or "Chocolate covered pretzels with sprinkles"?
(See, I can make life more difficult....)

UNLESS you are a b&B in Colorado or Washington State, THEN I highly recommend a mini bar FULL OF GOODIES AND SNACK FOODS and charge em danno!
and
Edited to add: for those who have no idea what I am talking about, that is fine. .
What is the goodies in the fridge were home made and unavailable elsewhere, vaccuum sealed in canning jars. Things like "Piggy Brittle" or "Chocolate covered pretzels with sprinkles"?
Jon Sable said:
I vote yes. Take a photo of a really nicely arranged basket of goodies, focus on the homemade aspect and add it to your site and to your confirmation email. Make it sounds irresistible.
Especially focus on it if your guests are arriving on the late side.
You know you want to do it so go ahead.
I've been looking for gift bags for some packages we do and found some small, colorful canvas ones for not too much, maybe $3 each. The guests can take the snacks away for the day in the bag. Add the bag into the price in case the bag goes home with the guest.

and
Jon Sable said:
I vote yes. Take a photo of a really nicely arranged basket of goodies, focus on the homemade aspect and add it to your site and to your confirmation email. Make it sounds irresistible.
I've been looking for gift bags for some packages we do and found some small, colorful canvas ones for not too much, maybe $3 each. The guests can take the snacks away for the day in the bag. Add the bag into the price in case the bag goes home with the guest.
Contact your local Sheltered Workshop. If the bags are canvas they can be printed. Get your logo & contact info printed on the bag (you are adding the cost in already) and ensure the bag goes with them - advertising as they use tht tote when they get home. Since it is not a lunch bag, you would only need 1 bag per couple.

and
Jon Sable said:
Contact your local Sheltered Workshop. If the bags are canvas they can be printed. Get your logo & contact info printed on the bag (you are adding the cost in already) and ensure the bag goes with them - advertising as they use tht tote when they get home. Since it is not a lunch bag, you would only need 1 bag per couple.
I got the bags I have from the senior center. They do them also. They print local scenes.

I have a small mini bar fridge in each of our rooms. I only stock bottled water--two bottles and replenish every morning. When I do go into the fridges I find that my guests have stocked it themselves with beer, wine, snacks, etc. About 80% of the time when I say something about the fridges at check in time, people respond favourably. Older people may need to refridgerate their medication and everyone loves it for keeping their drinks cold. I don't make any money off of them, obviously, but I think people appreciate this extra feature in their room..
We deal with this issue like you do. Each suite has a mini fridge in the large closet (as well as a microwave) which we stock with two bottle of water a day. Our guests need and use the fridges but not so much the microwaves. We're a college town BnB which caters to parents, so that might explain the usage. Outside we have a propane grill in a gazebo which is also available for use on the condition that guests in ALL rooms can join in on the cookin' with their own food (the wait at local restaurants on game day is horrendous) EXCEPT if you're cookin' with our grill you're providing Mac and Me with dinner too! I usually throw in a dessert for all. We've had some great meals!

from HARO today:
5) Summary: Glammed up minibars
Name: Zlata Faerman The Daily Meal
Category: Travel
Email: [email protected]
Media Outlet: The Daily Meal
Deadline: 7:00 PM EST - 8 December
Query:
Writing a round up about really glammed up minibars from all
around the world. Please only submit if you have something
extraordinary.
Requirements:
Please email [email protected] with the subject line
"Minibars". Thanks and happy pitching!

What type of place do you have? I would describe our place as budget. We are not in an urban area, and we have a fridge in the reception area where guests can buy drinks/snacks on the honor system. We have a sign up sheet where they track their purchases and can either pay at the end, or put the money in the jar as they go. I like this because 1)It's localized and provides a simple service, well, simply, and 2) our electric bill has this "demand" fee, where it goes up based on the top electrical usage for any 15 minute period during the month-by a few hundred dollars. If we were to have mini fridges in our rooms, it would kill us.
How to make this work for a higher end place, and be elegant - I'm not sure.

What type of place do you have? I would describe our place as budget. We are not in an urban area, and we have a fridge in the reception area where guests can buy drinks/snacks on the honor system. We have a sign up sheet where they track their purchases and can either pay at the end, or put the money in the jar as they go. I like this because 1)It's localized and provides a simple service, well, simply, and 2) our electric bill has this "demand" fee, where it goes up based on the top electrical usage for any 15 minute period during the month-by a few hundred dollars. If we were to have mini fridges in our rooms, it would kill us.
How to make this work for a higher end place, and be elegant - I'm not sure..
I would say that we are urban upscale budget.
Our meters can't tell the time of day. And electrical isn't a major concern. Stocking the fridge, may be. We have one guest fridge, stocked with drinks on the honour system and the other half is for guest usage.

For "upscale budget" - my answer is no. If you were just "upscale", then those guests would be willing to pay.
Sounds like a lot of work for a big maybe on if guests would go for the package.
Up your rates a bit and offer some additional amenities in a central location, you'll probably net more money for less trouble by doing that.

I needed a place to hide this comment...
“Fresh milk in fridge” is the sign I shall be removing for this weekend. Since the guest fridge is next to the help yourself coffee area.
Way TMI a guest who really needs a getaway bless her heart - - often. Not sure the two rooms of honeymooners will want this next to their wedding cakes...but ...
Most recent is:
"I have just a couple more questions... are we able to request a late breakfast on Sunday? Being in the restaurant business, our schedule tends to be different from everyone else and sleeping in without kids jumping on us will be a great luxury! :) If not, it's no problem. We could always go back to bed afterwards.
Also, I am still breastfeeding and will need to pump milk throughout the day. Do you have somewhere that I can store my milk (they are kept in hospital grade sealed bags) or do you have access to ice where I could bring my own cooler?"

“Fresh milk in fridge” is the sign I shall be removing for this weekend. Since the guest fridge is next to the help yourself coffee area.
Way TMI a guest who really needs a getaway bless her heart - - often. Not sure the two rooms of honeymooners will want this next to their wedding cakes...but ...
Most recent is:
"I have just a couple more questions... are we able to request a late breakfast on Sunday? Being in the restaurant business, our schedule tends to be different from everyone else and sleeping in without kids jumping on us will be a great luxury! :) If not, it's no problem. We could always go back to bed afterwards.
Also, I am still breastfeeding and will need to pump milk throughout the day. Do you have somewhere that I can store my milk (they are kept in hospital grade sealed bags) or do you have access to ice where I could bring my own cooler?".
Baaahaaa! Now that would be fresh!!! (extra ! needed on this)
Thanks for the laugh of the day.

Most recent is:
Also, I am still breastfeeding and will need to pump milk throughout the day. Do you have somewhere that I can store my milk (they are kept in hospital grade sealed bags) or do you have access to ice where I could bring my own cooler?".
Time to make ice cream! :)

Most recent is:
there is a place in London does breast milk ice-cream - what I always wondered was how they get enough volume to make it a regular item.

Most recent is:
there is a place in London does breast milk ice-cream - what I always wondered was how they get enough volume to make it a regular item.
Sort of lost my appetite on this one...

The refrigerator pays for itself in the sense that some people expect or want them in the place. Go out to a nice dinner, no where to put the doggie bag. Buy a few ice cream bars - forget it. Cannot have cold sodas, juice or yogurts in the room. Some medication needs to be kept cool. And other scenarios.
That would be a deciding factor for me. Makes the owner look cheap. Takes $150 from me per night, and cannot afford an $85 refrigerator? Even a $34 motel room has a tv and fridge usually.
Reminds me of when I went to Club Med in Cancun (long time ago), and they decided the rooms didn't need TVs. Would never return. There are a lot of people that way.
Penny wise and pound foolish, to me.

It's a funny weekend awright...
We got walk ins, literally walked right in and into our quarters. Other guests must have left the front door open.
Under "Allergies" she put on the walk-in form "Laytex"

We got walk ins, literally walked right in and into our quarters. Other guests must have left the front door open.
Under "Allergies" she put on the walk-in form "Laytex".
She should at least know the proper spelling of her allergy. I find that I can't wear latex for long, I start to get a rash underneath.

She should at least know the proper spelling of her allergy. I find that I can't wear latex for long, I start to get a rash underneath.
Jon Sable said:
Why?
Oh you funny upstanding man you.
I can't say any more here, that is all I can and will say. doh!
cry_smile.gif

Jon Sable said:
Why?
Oh you funny upstanding man you.
I can't say any more here, that is all I can and will say. doh!
cry_smile.gif

Worst case scenario, you cut off the pinkie from a Nitrile Glove.
(Hopefully you were drinking coffee and your screen just got sprayed!)

Most recent is:
Time to make ice cream! :)
Jon Sable said:
omg_smile.gif
OMG too funny!

Back