Inn Tuneups - Cost? Benefits?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My problem is would we be brutal enough, too brutal or too soft? etc?.
Jcam said:
My problem is would we be brutal enough, too brutal or too soft? etc?
If asked to provide reality checks, we'd be helpfully brutal. It's when someone doesn't want to know what we so assuredly want to tell them that the problems arise. ;-)
Were it me I would want an honest opinion even if I didn't like the answer/opinion. Now to be honest I may not exactly follow the opinions given, I seek opinions from many and hopefully take the best of several added to my own ideas. In no way does that mean I don't appreciate/respect the opinions shared with me, but we're all different and face our own pressures, be them family or financial that may take us paths less than the ideal.

Jcam said:
If asked to provide reality checks, we'd be helpfully brutal. It's when someone doesn't want to know what we so assuredly want to tell them that the problems arise. ;-)
Were it me I would want an honest opinion even if I didn't like the answer/opinion. Now to be honest I may not exactly follow the opinions given, I seek opinions from many and hopefully take the best of several added to my own ideas. In no way does that mean I don't appreciate/respect the opinions shared with me, but we're all different and face our own pressures, be them family or financial that may take us paths less than the ideal.
JimBoone said:
I agree. People are all talk. But not all people are all talk.
So when they talk it doesn't really help, but were they to provide real feedback and suggestions, then that is worth its weight in gold. That is why hashing stuff out here vs seeing a place in person, in action, makes all the difference.
When we went on the innkeeper road trip I saw inns in a new light. Sorry to use this again, but one inn was wayyyyy underselling a large balcony they had. They probably sold they have tv's in their rooms with equal weight. I thought before going there and knowing this innmate here for years prior... they have a balcony, okay, nice.
In person it was the entire length of the front of the house - second story with a live oak providing shade. Each room opened onto this balcony. There was a neat place or two or three to sit and read and enjoy morning or afternoon coffee. Now, a suggestion that went something like "I would give my left earlobe to have breakfast out here instead of downstairs in the dining room" was real, but for the innkeepers not doable with health and stairs to tackle.
Secondly, knowing this place offered this inncredible outside space for me trumped many of the other B&B's I saw listed in the area.
To put it simply, it was a selling point. A huge selling point. When you live and operate the inn you miss the forest through the trees many times. This is the value in having folks from out of the area, like your guests would be, as a fresh set of eyes.
There are other examples, but I spied with my little eyes more than what they had on their website and marketing. We are not like Hotel Impossible, ripping out drywall, but we can see it from our pov as innkeepers AND guests. We know it all costs money. But the example I shared above didn't cost a penny, it was just a different angle to focus on.
I like it. I am scared to do it here, but I like it.

Jcam said:
JimBoone said:
So when they talk it doesn't really help, but were they to provide real feedback and suggestions, then that is worth its weight in gold. That is why hashing stuff out here vs seeing a place in person, in action, makes all the difference.
When we went on the innkeeper road trip I saw inns in a new light. Sorry to use this again, but one inn was wayyyyy underselling a large balcony they had. They probably sold they have tv's in their rooms with equal weight. I thought before going there and knowing this innmate here for years prior... they have a balcony, okay, nice.
In person it was the entire length of the front of the house - second story with a live oak providing shade. Each room opened onto this balcony. There was a neat place or two or three to sit and read and enjoy morning or afternoon coffee. Now, a suggestion that went something like "I would give my left earlobe to have breakfast out here instead of downstairs in the dining room" was real, but for the innkeepers not doable with health and stairs to tackle.
Secondly, knowing this place offered this inncredible outside space for me trumped many of the other B&B's I saw listed in the area.
To put it simply, it was a selling point. A huge selling point. When you live and operate the inn you miss the forest through the trees many times. This is the value in having folks from out of the area, like your guests would be, as a fresh set of eyes.
There are other examples, but I spied with my little eyes more than what they had on their website and marketing. We are not like Hotel Impossible, ripping out drywall, but we can see it from our pov as innkeepers AND guests. We know it all costs money. But the example I shared above didn't cost a penny, it was just a different angle to focus on.
I'd love that. And your porch. But I think we've become a generation of 'inside people'.
We have a teeny porch and 10 lawn chairs spread all over a one acre yard. 1% of our guests avail themselves of the outdoor space. And every one of them is a smoker.
Our chairs are moveable. Don't like the sun? Move to the shade. Too chilly in the shade? Move 2 feet to the sunny side.
But I think I'm done buying lawn furniture. It gets moved by the lawn guy but that's it.

Jcam said:
JimBoone said:
JBloggs When you live and operate the inn you miss the forest through the trees many times. This is the value in having folks from out of the area said:
Exactly, guests/reviewers are reluctant to tell you things or it is just a complaint and not an explanation. Family/friends don't want to hurt your feelings or as someone not dealing with it as a business don't look with a critical eye. Maybe it is a new idea to build business or just something that needs attention that slowly became a problem over time, but we don't notice because of the slow change, those are the things where a new view would be helpful.
Now a little drywall project wouldn't worry me although my energy doesn't last long these days, I could post some earlier projects, but maybe a subject for another thread.

Jcam said:
JimBoone said:
I'd love that. And your porch. But I think we've become a generation of 'inside people'.
We have a teeny porch and 10 lawn chairs spread all over a one acre yard. 1% of our guests avail themselves of the outdoor space. And every one of them is a smoker.
Our chairs are moveable. Don't like the sun? Move to the shade. Too chilly in the shade? Move 2 feet to the sunny side.
But I think I'm done buying lawn furniture. It gets moved by the lawn guy but that's it.
Now I don't like hot weather, but at the right temperature I like the porch. On my one B & B adventure I spent each morning on the porch drinking coffee before breakfast, in the evening we were back on the porch swing till dark, not too many other guests there or maybe we just hogged the swing, but it sure was relaxing.

Jcam said:
JimBoone said:
See we have the sort of reverce problem - very little outside space - very small patio at the front, all the back is car parking. People often say oh have you thought about patio furniture at the front - answer is yes, but we live in a VERY town center location so we would have to bring it in every night or it would not be there in the morning, plus have ground floor room on the front - do you think they want smokers at 2am sat literally outside their window? and Im not just talking about my guests - random people will sit on them as is proven by people that do have garden furniture on the front having to turf drunks of when disturbed by them at 2am sat having a takeaway in your garden. Plus not just the effort of pulling it in and out every day but having a place to put it as well as there is no where on the ground floor except the conservatiry which would mean pullign it through the house out the back door and round to the conservatory - so no won't be putting any out any time soon.

We had inn consultants come in to talk to us about their services and then they sent us a proposal on how we should take the place to the next level. I believe their quote was $3700 (in that ballpark). While they were walking around he kept talking about the fact that we needed to turn unused space in the lower level into a spa -- build out a couple spa rooms and offer those services. Even though I stressed that the last thing I wanted to deal with was more staff in an area where no one shows up to work routinely and the logistics of offering spa treatments, that's what he wanted to propose. So we didn't engage their services. Instead we marketed more and built the business up. Then WE analyzed the space and decided that we should built ourself a new house next to the B&B and turn our bedroom into the ultimate guest suite. Our kids rooms are now friends & family rooms with their own bath and eventually will be the space if we hire a live-in innkeeper.
So although their idea of what would make money might have been a good one in theory, for me the extra work, aggravation trying to schedule people and worrying that they won't show up was not something I wanted to add to my already busy days. We ultimately did what we knew was the best thing and now have our own home and make much more money. Win-win without the headaches of a spa.

Jcam said:
JimBoone said:
See we have the sort of reverce problem - very little outside space - very small patio at the front, all the back is car parking. People often say oh have you thought about patio furniture at the front - answer is yes, but we live in a VERY town center location so we would have to bring it in every night or it would not be there in the morning, plus have ground floor room on the front - do you think they want smokers at 2am sat literally outside their window? and Im not just talking about my guests - random people will sit on them as is proven by people that do have garden furniture on the front having to turf drunks of when disturbed by them at 2am sat having a takeaway in your garden. Plus not just the effort of pulling it in and out every day but having a place to put it as well as there is no where on the ground floor except the conservatiry which would mean pullign it through the house out the back door and round to the conservatory - so no won't be putting any out any time soon.
Okay, a silly idea, assuming you would even want to bother with the outside space or that such an idea would meet with local laws and customs, but thinking of Savannah and Charleston there are places that have tiny, intimate, walled gardens, perhaps a special feature of the ground level room facing the area. Again, silly idea from a distance.

We had inn consultants come in to talk to us about their services and then they sent us a proposal on how we should take the place to the next level. I believe their quote was $3700 (in that ballpark). While they were walking around he kept talking about the fact that we needed to turn unused space in the lower level into a spa -- build out a couple spa rooms and offer those services. Even though I stressed that the last thing I wanted to deal with was more staff in an area where no one shows up to work routinely and the logistics of offering spa treatments, that's what he wanted to propose. So we didn't engage their services. Instead we marketed more and built the business up. Then WE analyzed the space and decided that we should built ourself a new house next to the B&B and turn our bedroom into the ultimate guest suite. Our kids rooms are now friends & family rooms with their own bath and eventually will be the space if we hire a live-in innkeeper.
So although their idea of what would make money might have been a good one in theory, for me the extra work, aggravation trying to schedule people and worrying that they won't show up was not something I wanted to add to my already busy days. We ultimately did what we knew was the best thing and now have our own home and make much more money. Win-win without the headaches of a spa..
And that's what's known as knowing your area and yourselves!
Every broker we worked with told us we had to put in jetted tubs. Same thing here getting people to show up for work. No way was I going clean 7 jetted tubs every stinkin' day!

So although their idea of what would make money might have been a good one in theory, for me the extra work, aggravation trying to schedule people and worrying that they won't show up was not something I wanted to add to my already busy days. We ultimately did what we knew was the best thing and now have our own home and make much more money. Win-win without the headaches of a spa..
Every broker we worked with told us we had to put in jetted tubs. Same thing here getting people to show up for work. No way was I going clean 7 jetted tubs every stinkin' day!
Morticia said:
And are jetted tubs the end all? We see now they were not. But 10 years ago if you didn't have them they wrote you off.
The outdoor space is negotiable. Guests want it, do they use it? No. Our porch is used as a walkway, today, oh if you saw the tree outside,not one guest in a full house is out there. Last weekend, the same. But do they book here because of the porch? Yes.
I am going to step outside and take a photo of the tree and empty porch with my ipad...be right back.
Nov 12th 11:10am:
porch%20fall%20111216%20morning.jpg

exactly if I had a pound for every person who said we should do dinners - we have 136 restaurants in the town center, 40 within 10 mins walking distance
I would have to cook or DH - and neither of us are good cooks, margins on it would be about £4 a head for 3 hours work and then cleaning up and then going to bed then up at 6.30am - nope! plus to serve alcohol we would need a personal liscence (course £250 then another £200 for security check) then £400 a year for the liscence - would take me 213 dinners to break even in the first year.
I can have deloveroo or the takeaway places deliver anything you want for free in 10 minutes and give you a plate and a fork

Morticia said:
And are jetted tubs the end all? We see now they were not. But 10 years ago if you didn't have them they wrote you off.
The outdoor space is negotiable. Guests want it, do they use it? No. Our porch is used as a walkway, today, oh if you saw the tree outside,not one guest in a full house is out there. Last weekend, the same. But do they book here because of the porch? Yes.
I am going to step outside and take a photo of the tree and empty porch with my ipad...be right back.

Looks lovely as usual!

Morticia said:

Most times it is the perception of what the guest "thinks" they desire, like the porch, selling feature, I picture myself sitting there watching the world pass by and like the idea, but in practice visits are short and we never get around to doing those things we thought we'd like, romantic tub may be the same way, both partners don't always have the same vision.

We like this lady - http://creatingbookings.com/ - not pushy and not stupid price either, does a lot of business coaching. There is also http://bedandbreakfastcoach.com/ - however I don't like her style as much but that's a personal thing, definately gets results.
Thanks Jcam:
I've signed up for the free 1/2 hour skype consult with Yvonne Halling on Nov 30. I'll let you know how it goes. Bet anything the main advice will be to hire out the cleaning, and of course pony up for the paid advice.
As many of you know, hiring a cleaner/s is far easier said than done.
This is a link to her inn's site.
I wonder what the wise web ones would say about
thumb_Free%20Guide.JPG
this marketing tool on the site. In exchange for contact info, you can access a 'what to do in the area' guide.

Not necessarily a tune up, but the new innkeeper in my town hired a marketing group to help find the right niche and get the word out.
Altho I think they cost her too much with marketing ideas that were wrong for the area, she had about 50% more bookings than the previous owner.
I think it's a great idea..
I think sometimes a fresh pair of eyes isn't a bad thing - but someone who actually does know the industry. For example I hate chairs on landings and in hallways - does anyone sit there? no they just get in the way of you struggling past with a massive pile of laundry and the fire brigade isn't keen either as they want a clear route out. just little things that could be tweeked to make things run more smoothly! Like for me it was an outside laundry hamper at a friends place - laundry service can pick up and drop off without you being there, saved me rushing back to be there 2 days a week and from being crushed under huge piles of it in the office - bag is full goes straight out into the hamper so on the tuesday I only have say 3 bags to go out instead of the 20 i had to do all at once.
We should all just go visit each other and make suggestions!
I like that idea.
I went out for drinks with some women friends a week ago. One of them is retiring from inn keeping. She was aghast that I iron and recommended cotton/poly sheets. I get her point. In the grand scheme it is not my best use of time to do this, but I'm not ready to let this personal choice go. If I'm still doing this in 10 years, maybe.
When I'm doing breakfast for more than my usual number, I sometimes think of the breakfasts (Morticia) you do every day. You rock.

We like this lady - http://creatingbookings.com/ - not pushy and not stupid price either, does a lot of business coaching. There is also http://bedandbreakfastcoach.com/ - however I don't like her style as much but that's a personal thing, definately gets results.
Thanks Jcam:
I've signed up for the free 1/2 hour skype consult with Yvonne Halling on Nov 30. I'll let you know how it goes. Bet anything the main advice will be to hire out the cleaning, and of course pony up for the paid advice.
thumb_Free%20Guide.JPG
this marketing tool on the site. In exchange for contact info, you can access a 'what to do in the area' guide.
I'm not a fan if all the things to do are behind a wall. If you want to do a 'secret spots' in exchange for an email address, then it gives the guests an option.
But, you've then got to have a plan to use those email addresses.
Maybe something better (?) is that tracking system that keeps putting your info in front of guests when they are online. Arks did it. Can't remember what it's called.

Thanks Jcam:
thumb_Free%20Guide.JPG
Yvonne advocates the what I call "Bonding method" more work but people have an increased sense of loyalty, sending them things to do when they book, following up close to the arrival date with travel info and so on. Working with local attractions to give added value packages - all of which are common sense and your reservation software could send out at set dates etc.
My trouble is here there are only really 3 attractions (1) turkish baths - run by the council and won't do any deal with any one ever and to be fair they are booked out most of the time.
(2) Royal Horticultural SOciety Northern Headquarters (extensive gardens) mostly visited by members they have about 10 gardens all over and you pay an annual fee to go in any - so no advantage of discount there.
(3) Valley Gardens/STray - Massive parkland - free
(4) small museum and Gallery - free and council run
(5) theatres we have 3 venue's and have constantly hassled them about a discounted ticket on the day program they either won't do it or arnt' that organised ie they would send and email to me ie tickets left for X and I wold forward it to the B&B's so they could tell their guests there are still tickets for X for tonight and at £1 off etc.
She is all about adding value and getting the right guests for your property - ie not ones just focused on price. Its working out how to advertise in the right places to get those people

Yes, knowing your area and your clientele is super important. We are actually one of those places where people will call and hang up if all 4 of my rooms with jetted tubs are full. Therefore we are remodeling two more rooms that are middle of the road in price to have jetted this these next 6 months so we can capture that lost revenue that goes to another place with a jetted tub. Knowing our market and keeping track of lost bookings because the tub rooms were full is the data we needed to make this decision. It helps that hubby is a contractor and does this work himself so it's only the cost of the tub and new tile - not the labor which would make us stop to pause.

Back