Innkeeper burnout in UK, Europe, Australia?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find this thread offensive I will tell you up front. It really irritates me. Burn out? Sheesh get your hands dirty then ask us about it. Have guests in YOUR HOME every day of the week for weeks, months and then years. Then come back and ask this question.
Yes, spank spank.
wink_smile.gif
deleted

CL has a point. If you are the only one doing it all, and are pinioned to the house most of the time, that's different than having employees to do all the grunt work. I wonder what the average length of tenure is for those that have staff and those that don't?
Yes, our place is for sale, but do I sound burntout to you? Do I bitch about my guests, or about the house? Our reason for selling is family related, and so cannot be categorized as "burnout".
JB's ire about this thread is related to the fact that you assume that all Inns for sale are on the market because their keepers are burnt out..
deleted

Isn't that funny. This is why it is all apples and oranges, I find absolute fondness and admiration in the success of LB, in her selling as well, I see a job well done! I suppose I will feel the same from my own standpoint when this B&B is sold, a golden moment, it is an accomplishment passed on to another eager new innkeeper! I revel in this thought.
Thank you all for helping to express why this thread bothered me, insinuating failure and poor innkeeping, it is not that way at all!
Back to the Butter Pecan Cake for guests check in! Because I have to? Nope, because I innjoy it..
Joey Bloggs said:
Back to the Butter Pecan Cake for guests check in! Because I have to?
Hey, we're having Butter Pecan Coconut cake for dessert tonight here too! And thanks, JB for your kind words...I will keep my fingers crossed for you and say prayers too...it worked for us! If no one minds, I may hang around the forum and join CatLady and Ginocat in the peanut gallery.

Isn't that funny. This is why it is all apples and oranges, I find absolute fondness and admiration in the success of LB, in her selling as well, I see a job well done! I suppose I will feel the same from my own standpoint when this B&B is sold, a golden moment, it is an accomplishment passed on to another eager new innkeeper! I revel in this thought.
Thank you all for helping to express why this thread bothered me, insinuating failure and poor innkeeping, it is not that way at all!
Back to the Butter Pecan Cake for guests check in! Because I have to? Nope, because I innjoy it..
Joey Bloggs said:
Hey, we're having Butter Pecan Coconut cake for dessert tonight here too! And thanks, JB for your kind words...I will keep my fingers crossed for you and say prayers too...it worked for us! If no one minds, I may hang around the forum and join CatLady and Ginocat in the peanut gallery.
Little Blue said:
If no one minds, I may hang around the forum and join CatLady and Ginocat in the peanut gallery.
Oh please, oh please, oh please!!!!

What torques me off is the idea that being "burned out" (or having your place for sale) is considered failure for an Innkeeper..
Little Blue, I kind of agree....or closing your place because your life situation changed is a failure.
But I think that I have self-imposed a failure label. We were going great guns but I realized that it was not the right way to be leading our life right now.
I'm coming to terms with not feeling bad about doing the right thing for our family at this point in time, but it is still a process. I just had someone today tell me that I should have kept our place open with fewer rooms. Did they walk in my shoes? No...... Still it's comments like that that make me think that maybe I just didn't hold on long enough or something.
Samster, you are not a failure, you are a hero. The choices you made were for your family and there's nothing more important. I admire you and your decision.
Thanks, BD...I appreciate that.
heart.gif

I have nothing but kudos for everyone here that keeps on keeping on. Through the lean times, the PITA guests, the family crises, the mid-life crises, problems with the property.... I mean, the list is endless. It is so challenging to have your own business and to actually live in it too. Until you really do it, you have no clue what it's like. And you all have such unique and wonderful B&Bs!

Joey Bloggs said:
Yes, please do stick around. Everyone has lots to share.There have been days when I just want to delete my account, but this has become such a part of my routine, I just can't do it yet.
embaressed_smile.gif

Back