Innkeeper Magazine

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They launched the first one here.
Difficult to read with colorscheme and kind of clunky design (template with odd photos).
Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, have a look and see if there is anything you can use. If not, then not..
Agree. Turned me off when I opened it up. Will look around to see what they offer. Don't like the RED font color on black background. very hard to read titles.
I have been testing the waters on learning how to produce a responsive website and I just read, and then did some follow up on, the use of RED on websites. Like you, I found it very hard to read and the red comes across as harsh somehow.
Regarding content, I will have to take a closer look. It's an interesting idea, but I am not going to be all excited to read a bunch of articles that funnel me into spending money with industry experts.
BUT REALLY- I won't know what they have on there until they put some font on there I can read!
You definitively want to go responsive for your website. No need for a separate mobile site. For the life of me I don't know why anyone pays anyone for a mobile site these days when a responsive WP theme will do it all for you. I will highly recommend this one because it will do so much and the support is beyond TERRIFIC!!!
Oh boy- have I made a mess of things when comes to getting our new website, but I am wanting to stick to my guns and get what we need, which is what I want, at a price that we can afford. That has been just a little painful, I admit.
That has meant doing it myself in the past and turning away the WP concept recently- to develop a singular web site that is fully customizable that I can work on myself.
So, I already know you are recommending WP, and there seems to be a push from other forces that I am finding harder to resist to just do that, but I have found some very interesting stuff out there that tells me that WP may not be what I want. This is partly because I want to learn more coding (yikes) and because I want full flexibility.
Have you heard of http://www.webflow.com ? It appears it may be possible to hire a designer/developer who can also tutor me. I did the trial and have a free site still, but I haven't had a chance to make a decision about it.
I am going to take a closer look at your recommendation.
I have thought about a temporary solution but I think just sticking with what we have, which has worked but is so old I can hear it creaking, is best for now.
You can do whatever you want with WP and the right theme. And if you want customization..you can learn all the custom style codes you want with the help of firebug. WP IS THE ONLY WAY to go in my opinion. I have done 25 different sites with it this year using the Striking theme and everyone of them looks different. If you want to see some of them, email me and I will send you some links.
Sorry never heard of the site. But looking at it looks like alot of those drag and drop kind of sites. Not what you want. I have used a theme called D I V I just to change things up. They try and tell you it is soooo easy...YEAH RIGHT...It needs tons and tons of custom code to get it half way close to what I want. I use it on some small sites that don't need much because I have alot of the coding down now. But support is foreign and hard to deal with.
I tutor all my clients and most...I say most of them...take over the website themselves with no problemo :) I assisted Maddie with hers and she did most of it by herself and she did a good job:)
EmptyNest said:
I tutor all my clients and most...I say most of them...take over the website themselves with no problemo :) I assisted Maddie with hers and she did most of it by herself and she did a good job:)
Thanks!

Difficult to read with colorscheme and kind of clunky design (template with odd photos).
Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater, have a look and see if there is anything you can use. If not, then not..
Agree. Turned me off when I opened it up. Will look around to see what they offer. Don't like the RED font color on black background. very hard to read titles.
I have been testing the waters on learning how to produce a responsive website and I just read, and then did some follow up on, the use of RED on websites. Like you, I found it very hard to read and the red comes across as harsh somehow.
Regarding content, I will have to take a closer look. It's an interesting idea, but I am not going to be all excited to read a bunch of articles that funnel me into spending money with industry experts.
BUT REALLY- I won't know what they have on there until they put some font on there I can read!
You definitively want to go responsive for your website. No need for a separate mobile site. For the life of me I don't know why anyone pays anyone for a mobile site these days when a responsive WP theme will do it all for you. I will highly recommend this one because it will do so much and the support is beyond TERRIFIC!!!
Oh boy- have I made a mess of things when comes to getting our new website, but I am wanting to stick to my guns and get what we need, which is what I want, at a price that we can afford. That has been just a little painful, I admit.
That has meant doing it myself in the past and turning away the WP concept recently- to develop a singular web site that is fully customizable that I can work on myself.
So, I already know you are recommending WP, and there seems to be a push from other forces that I am finding harder to resist to just do that, but I have found some very interesting stuff out there that tells me that WP may not be what I want. This is partly because I want to learn more coding (yikes) and because I want full flexibility.
Have you heard of http://www.webflow.com ? It appears it may be possible to hire a designer/developer who can also tutor me. I did the trial and have a free site still, but I haven't had a chance to make a decision about it.
I have thought about a temporary solution but I think just sticking with what we have, which has worked but is so old I can hear it creaking, is best for now.
You can do whatever you want with WP and the right theme. And if you want customization..you can learn all the custom style codes you want with the help of firebug. WP IS THE ONLY WAY to go in my opinion. I have done 25 different sites with it this year using the Striking theme and everyone of them looks different. If you want to see some of them, email me and I will send you some links.
Sorry never heard of the site. But looking at it looks like alot of those drag and drop kind of sites. Not what you want. I have used a theme called D I V I just to change things up. They try and tell you it is soooo easy...YEAH RIGHT...It needs tons and tons of custom code to get it half way close to what I want. I use it on some small sites that don't need much because I have alot of the coding down now. But support is foreign and hard to deal with.
I am looking at it.
I also took a look at DIVI, which seems to be built out of WP.
Webflow is more like what Adobe is trying to do with EdgeFlow, but much further along as far as being functional. What I have read says the code is clean. I think it is built off BOOTSTRAP. Not really sure. If I get what they are all about, is that it is supposed to help bridge the designer developer gap and possibly work for knuckleheads like me, and of course it is responsive with a fair amount of widgets and such. It also has access to the back end for coders and folks who know how to drop in JS and stuff like that. So it appears to fully customizable.
Could I show you what I want and you can tell me if you think WP can get me there?

I am looking at it.
Webflow is more like what Adobe is trying to do with EdgeFlow, but much further along as far as being functional. What I have read says the code is clean. I think it is built off BOOTSTRAP. Not really sure. If I get what they are all about, is that it is supposed to help bridge the designer developer gap and possibly work for knuckleheads like me, and of course it is responsive with a fair amount of widgets and such. It also has access to the back end for coders and folks who know how to drop in JS and stuff like that. So it appears to fully customizable.
Could I show you what I want and you can tell me if you think WP can get me there?
Sure.
D i v i is WP as well, but they do have a drag and drop editor if you like using that sort of thing. But it still needs lots of coding to get what you want.

I am looking at it.
Sure.
D i v i is WP as well, but they do have a drag and drop editor if you like using that sort of thing. But it still needs lots of coding to get what you want.
I guess it would good if you can contact me through my profile. Thanks

I love WP, but I've had a horrible WP week since upgrading to WP 4.0. Since the upgrade, when I clicked "Add Media" to add a photo to a post or page, nothing happened. Couldn't do ANYTHING with widgets. Click them and nothing happened.
Spent HOURS (and more hours) trying fixes I found online for these two problems. Nothing worked.
I finally figured out that I had version 1.04 of my theme. Updated to the latest version and all problems fixed. All this to say, WP isn't always telling the truth when it says all your plugins and themes are up to date!!

I love WP, but I've had a horrible WP week since upgrading to WP 4.0. Since the upgrade, when I clicked "Add Media" to add a photo to a post or page, nothing happened. Couldn't do ANYTHING with widgets. Click them and nothing happened.
Spent HOURS (and more hours) trying fixes I found online for these two problems. Nothing worked.
I finally figured out that I had version 1.04 of my theme. Updated to the latest version and all problems fixed. All this to say, WP isn't always telling the truth when it says all your plugins and themes are up to date!!.
No you have to make sure you have the latest updates on everything. Sometimes your theme doesn't let you know you need an update and WP will not tell you.

I finally figured out that I had version 1.04 of my theme. Updated to the latest version and all problems fixed. All this to say, WP isn't always telling the truth when it says all your plugins and themes are up to date!!.
No you have to make sure you have the latest updates on everything. Sometimes your theme doesn't let you know you need an update and WP will not tell you.
EmptyNest said:
WP will not tell you.
They'll tell you to update Twenty Twelve, Twenty Thirteen, etc., their own themes, but not the ones you pay for. Live and learn.
You can't imagine the relief, though, to have the problem fixed. I'd say I lost 10 hours on it! But I had wine to help me through it.

EmptyNest said:
WP will not tell you.
They'll tell you to update Twenty Twelve, Twenty Thirteen, etc., their own themes, but not the ones you pay for. Live and learn.
You can't imagine the relief, though, to have the problem fixed. I'd say I lost 10 hours on it! But I had wine to help me through it.
yes their own themes, but not ones you buy. where i buy, you can indicate to send emails for updates and others have systems built in to let you know about updates. not wp.

Back