Innkeeper woke up on the wrong side of the bed

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The difference in guests - family with highly allergic kids has told us the kids need to learn how to live in the world and we don't need to do anything to 'protect' them (like removing trigger foods from their reach). Obviously we won't serve them those trigger foods!
Second family is emailing demanding we provide them with certain foods because they can't eat the food we generally serve. We mentioned there is space for them to store whatever they want to eat, rather than us buying something no one else will want. No, WE are to buy the food and place it at their disposal. When it was explained that the whole family would be served the same meal (differing from what everyone else will get) we were told that some of their party won't want the 'special' meal.
Really?.
Mort, you are a walking litany of the things I need to create processes for...
undersea said:
It's my goal in life to help other innkeepers avoid these issues by showing they do really happen.
Morticia said:
It's my goal in life to help other innkeepers avoid these issues by showing they do really happen.
Again, these issues seem to happen especially in your neck of the woods, hardly ever down here in the South. Not sure why your area is such a magnet for the irrational demanding inconsiderate folks that do not comprehend the concept of a B&B or Innkeeper? As Happy says, who are you attempting to attract?
It's her town, I think it has a big magnet for these type of people....
Harborfields said:
It seems that way sometimes, doesn't it!
And yet we had a lovely couple this morning who waylaid the delivery guy in the dining room to talk baseball. He was the soul of politeness even tho you know he's got a schedule to keep.
Everyone for the past few days has been a peach. Except the folks who got me started on this thread. Folks who we never saw except for the furtive coffee grab and cereal dump. Saw the back of them as they hauled their bags out the door. That was it. Headed your way, but staying in town.
I'm expecting more fun today as we host a couple who wanted to stay elsewhere but that place is full. So they took our cheapest room and the place they were leaving wished me good luck with them.
Morticia said:
I'm expecting more fun today as we host a couple who wanted to stay elsewhere but that place is full. So they took our cheapest room and the place they were leaving wished me good luck with them.
Now I know why. What a rude, arrogant person. TOLD me what he would be having for breakfast. Absolutely refused offers of anything other than what he said he was having and finally told me he'd just go out for breakfast so he could eat what he wanted. Ok then.
Time for me to go for a walk. In the woods. To the ocean. To breathe.
You know, I would just take them at their word "hope you enjoy your meal out, but we are fresh out of kiwi eggs". No point in internalizing it.
So if he went to IHOP and wanted spaghetti, he would expect that to happen?

The difference in guests - family with highly allergic kids has told us the kids need to learn how to live in the world and we don't need to do anything to 'protect' them (like removing trigger foods from their reach). Obviously we won't serve them those trigger foods!
Second family is emailing demanding we provide them with certain foods because they can't eat the food we generally serve. We mentioned there is space for them to store whatever they want to eat, rather than us buying something no one else will want. No, WE are to buy the food and place it at their disposal. When it was explained that the whole family would be served the same meal (differing from what everyone else will get) we were told that some of their party won't want the 'special' meal.
Really?.
undersea said:
Morticia said:
Again, these issues seem to happen especially in your neck of the woods, hardly ever down here in the South. Not sure why your area is such a magnet for the irrational demanding inconsiderate folks that do not comprehend the concept of a B&B or Innkeeper? As Happy says, who are you attempting to attract?
Harborfields said:
And yet we had a lovely couple this morning who waylaid the delivery guy in the dining room to talk baseball. He was the soul of politeness even tho you know he's got a schedule to keep.
Everyone for the past few days has been a peach. Except the folks who got me started on this thread. Folks who we never saw except for the furtive coffee grab and cereal dump. Saw the back of them as they hauled their bags out the door. That was it. Headed your way, but staying in town.
Morticia said:
Now I know why. What a rude, arrogant person. TOLD me what he would be having for breakfast. Absolutely refused offers of anything other than what he said he was having and finally told me he'd just go out for breakfast so he could eat what he wanted. Ok then.
Oh good lord! Let him eat elsewhere and be done with him. No skin off you if he won't eat your food...you are not a restaurant..repeat this over and over :)

Really?.
undersea said:
Morticia said:
Harborfields said:
Morticia said:
Oh good lord! Let him eat elsewhere and be done with him. No skin off you if he won't eat your food...you are not a restaurant..repeat this over and over :)
EmptyNest said:
Just found out he demanded something different at the previous place. They have a chef so they could easily accommodate it. But the innkeeper didn't realize the demand had been placed until I asked.
I guess I have to wish the guests good luck finding accommodations over the weekend as they don't seem to have thought this whole vacation thing thru.

Really?.
undersea said:
Morticia said:
Harborfields said:
Morticia said:
EmptyNest said:
When Gomez came back I had the guest rez form in my hand, which I crumpled into a little ball and threw on the floor. That helped relieve the stress. ;-)

Really?.
undersea said:
Morticia said:
Harborfields said:
Morticia said:
EmptyNest said:
They left at 7 am. But forgot something and had to come back.

Back