Innkeepers on Vacation

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As an Inn-sitter I felt a need to speak up on this subject - maybe a little late for some of you, but better late than never!
First - A B&B is a very personal business and if I, as a potential guest, call and get an answering machine (and possibly no reply for a day or so) I will go on to the next B&B where someone will talk to me and take my reservation!
2nd - A vacation is not really a vacation if you are attached to your phone and computer.
3rd - If you close down/shut your doors, etc. you are losing all business that may come in while you are gone and if you don't return messages you are losing any future business.
An Inn-sitter will be there to answer the phone, take care of any last minute guests while also taking care of guests who booked in advance. I have noticed last minute bookings are way up this year. I just got back from a NY job where there was very little on the books when I arrived - I thought I would at least have Tues, Wed. and Thursday off. Well, the phone never stopped ringing and I never had any day that I didn't need to make breakfast and clean! The owners were thrilled, I was thrilled. Since I charge depending on room occupancy, I made over $1,600 and the owner made over $2,500 - more than enough to pay for their vacation!
I guess it depends on if you are trying to run a business or if owning a B&B is just a hobby for you. If you want to keep your business running contact me! Sue www.twoheartsinnsitting.vpweb.com.
Right now we close down for vacation. We take the phone and the laptop and check in the morning and evening for emails requiring a response. We did have an emergency 2 weeks ago where it would have been nice to have an innsitter, but as it was, I stayed home while hubs attended a funeral and went to the hospital to visit.
During that time I was home watching the business, we got no walk-in guests and all phone calls were handled in the usual fashion...when I got home and listened to the messages. Checking caller id showed I did not miss and valid (ie- not telemarketer) calls while I was out.
For us it just doesn't pay.
But, for a high volume business, an innsitter is a must. We stayed at a place once that did not hire an innsitter, the innkeepers just left. They had a friend stop in during the breakfast hour to collect any money owed, but other than that, once the cook left, the guests were on their own. I thought it was odd.

Yeah, I have heard several times that we need a picture!! Not in the budget right now, and there is not much I can do with a Vistaprint website I am told. I am going to try this one for a while and see if it works for me. I was just trying to replace the printing of my brochures and having to send them via snail mail. I didn't have my picture in the brochure as I was usually hand delivering them to owners when I was in their area or a guest of theirs. I believe in the personal contact even more than a picture myself.
Prices - can I discuss this on this forum? I have a very reasonable rate schedule that is different than any other Inn-sitter that I know. Lets just say I charge according to rooms rented - you will never lose $ when I am there - it is a win/win for both of us. I will be happy to tell you my rates in a personal e-mail - I don't want to cause another ruckus on this forum.
Travel costs - I haven't ever charged for travel - I usually am within driving distance - living in MI pretty much puts me smack dab in the middle of all the jobs I have had so far - IL, MI, PA, NY, NJ, NC! I have family on the east coast so I just plan my vacations according to my work schedule - it has worked out very well! Also - $69 from DTW to BWI is a great deal on Southwest! Some owners have been very kind lately and gave me a bonus for travel expenses.
I just love the adventures I have - I get to see a new area and I meet fun people all the time - I consider it a work/vacation and feel I am compensated for doing what I love!.
Prices - can I discuss this on this forum? I have a very reasonable rate schedule that is different than any other Inn-sitter that I know. Lets just say I charge according to rooms rented - you will never lose $ when I am there - it is a win/win for both of us. I will be happy to tell you my rates in a personal e-mail - I don't want to cause another ruckus on this forum.
Hi Suellen, thanks for being sensitive to self-promotion on the forum. You are welcome to quote your rates if you wish....just don't quote them everytime someone mentions being away and you'll be fine.

As an Inn-sitter I felt a need to speak up on this subject - maybe a little late for some of you, but better late than never!
First - A B&B is a very personal business and if I, as a potential guest, call and get an answering machine (and possibly no reply for a day or so) I will go on to the next B&B where someone will talk to me and take my reservation!
2nd - A vacation is not really a vacation if you are attached to your phone and computer.
3rd - If you close down/shut your doors, etc. you are losing all business that may come in while you are gone and if you don't return messages you are losing any future business.
An Inn-sitter will be there to answer the phone, take care of any last minute guests while also taking care of guests who booked in advance. I have noticed last minute bookings are way up this year. I just got back from a NY job where there was very little on the books when I arrived - I thought I would at least have Tues, Wed. and Thursday off. Well, the phone never stopped ringing and I never had any day that I didn't need to make breakfast and clean! The owners were thrilled, I was thrilled. Since I charge depending on room occupancy, I made over $1,600 and the owner made over $2,500 - more than enough to pay for their vacation!
I guess it depends on if you are trying to run a business or if owning a B&B is just a hobby for you. If you want to keep your business running contact me! Sue www.twoheartsinnsitting.vpweb.com.
Welcome Sueellen,
Might I suggest a nice happy professional image of yourselves on your website? I clicked over and without that I did not read any further. We have to see you to trust you. Prices? Travel costs?
All the best.
Yeah, I have heard several times that we need a picture!! Not in the budget right now, and there is not much I can do with a Vistaprint website I am told. I am going to try this one for a while and see if it works for me. I was just trying to replace the printing of my brochures and having to send them via snail mail. I didn't have my picture in the brochure as I was usually hand delivering them to owners when I was in their area or a guest of theirs. I believe in the personal contact even more than a picture myself. BTW - where is your pic? How do I know I can trust you?
Travel costs - I haven't ever charged for travel - I usually am within driving distance - living in MI pretty much puts me smack dab in the middle of all the jobs I have had so far - IL, MI, PA, NY, NJ, NC! I have family on the east coast so I just plan my vacations according to my work schedule - it has worked out very well! Also - $69 from DTW to BWI is a great deal on Southwest! Some owners have been very kind lately and gave me a bonus for travel expenses.

Back