Innkeepers Quarters

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, if your B&B is zoned so that you could expand then I would think that the trailer (I hope it can be placed so that fencing and planting can somewhat disguise it from guests?) would work. Often buyers want something that they can make their own.
I would check if you can expand/build the owner's quarters on your property. Then I would live in the trailer and market the B&B as a successful 4 room, with ability to build owner's quarters/add rooms. Promote that they don't have to take living in a tiny room or in a basement - they can build their own space to their own specs. Promote this is something one needs to stay in business and have your privacy from the business.
I think most buyers want to do their own thing. You would be offering them the trailer if they want to live there and add rooms, or the possibility to build their own owner's quarters a they please.
Could be a good angle for selling.
But we are the do it yourself people. We are working towards our third stage of our B&B
RIki
RIki

Actually, if your B&B is zoned so that you could expand then I would think that the trailer (I hope it can be placed so that fencing and planting can somewhat disguise it from guests?) would work. Often buyers want something that they can make their own.
I would check if you can expand/build the owner's quarters on your property. Then I would live in the trailer and market the B&B as a successful 4 room, with ability to build owner's quarters/add rooms. Promote that they don't have to take living in a tiny room or in a basement - they can build their own space to their own specs. Promote this is something one needs to stay in business and have your privacy from the business.
I think most buyers want to do their own thing. You would be offering them the trailer if they want to live there and add rooms, or the possibility to build their own owner's quarters a they please.
But we are the do it yourself people. We are working towards our third stage of our B&B
RIki
RIki.
Thanks Riki...you are the only one that sees it as I do. Zoning here is pretty lax, they let us do whatever we wanted, so a travel trailer would not be an issue (although I will of course make sure of that before deciding). As far as the additional room, we would not even need to seek permission from anyone, and it could be ready to go within a week of moving our stuff out. I already have the name plate for the door, the key rings and keys...have had for a few years now. My thinking is that could be 2PB/2SB, or the larger SB room could be rented as a detached PB...certainly gives some flexibility.
The listing price leaves plenty of room for new owners to expand...in whatever fashion they choose. I would hate to put a bunch of money into what I think would work for new OQ and have buyers not like it! We have two different plans for expansion they could choose from already on hand.

RIki
RIki.
Thanks Riki...you are the only one that sees it as I do. Zoning here is pretty lax, they let us do whatever we wanted, so a travel trailer would not be an issue (although I will of course make sure of that before deciding). As far as the additional room, we would not even need to seek permission from anyone, and it could be ready to go within a week of moving our stuff out. I already have the name plate for the door, the key rings and keys...have had for a few years now. My thinking is that could be 2PB/2SB, or the larger SB room could be rented as a detached PB...certainly gives some flexibility.
The listing price leaves plenty of room for new owners to expand...in whatever fashion they choose. I would hate to put a bunch of money into what I think would work for new OQ and have buyers not like it! We have two different plans for expansion they could choose from already on hand.
Not everyone has offered up their thoughts yet.
After reading the previous comments and reply, I can definitely see where this would increase the appeal to a broader set of shoppers. To be fair, I didn't have the same PICTURE in my head from what I read earlier. I kept imagining a trailer plunked down next to a stereotypical BNB in a stereotypical setting. Now I have a picture of more country style place with a bigger yard and enough space to essentially create a separate lot for the trailer. It also reminds me of where I grew up, since this was not an uncommon thing to see on a farm or out in the country.

does your current occupancy and past history show that an additional room with shared bath would be booked a lot?

does your current occupancy and past history show that an additional room with shared bath would be booked a lot?.
Yes...we run nearly 90% occupied June, July and August, 60% Sept and Oct, 20-35% the rest of the months. I could also discontinue putting three people in my largest room, but offer a deal on the two shared bath rooms for more than two persons. Those two rooms are right across from each other with the bath in the short hallway.
Our shared bath room has been alot more popular than I had thought...possibly because guests know it shares with us. That might change once it shares with another room. I SO WISH those two rooms were next to each other, we could connect them and they could be called a two bedroom suite (maybe still could be).
As with all other rooms, will have queen bed, fireplace, TV with cable. This would be one of only two guestrooms with a closet. Is a corner room with two windows and right next to the bathroom. All it would take to make a PB is a door through the closet. But then what would the other SB room do??

RIki
RIki.
Little Blue said:
Then go for it!!! I may understand you because my DH is a Capenter besides a Restaurant Manager. Make the plans you have as part of the package. For some, it's easier to adjust a plan to their liking than to try and figure out what they want from the start
There are many wonderful prefab and trailer setups that are very attractive. The prefab started in northern Europe I think. The house comes in parts with wiring and all kinds of finishing already in the walls. Once built people can't tell the difference. We might do something like that for our second wing.
With occupancy like that, I would as a new buyer want to look into adding even more rooms! Of couse, I have other friends who would say it's time for you to up your rates, too!
Riki

If you are living in the travel trailer, taking showers and such, how will you dump the sewage??

RIki
RIki.
Little Blue said:
Then go for it!!! I may understand you because my DH is a Capenter besides a Restaurant Manager. Make the plans you have as part of the package. For some, it's easier to adjust a plan to their liking than to try and figure out what they want from the start
There are many wonderful prefab and trailer setups that are very attractive. The prefab started in northern Europe I think. The house comes in parts with wiring and all kinds of finishing already in the walls. Once built people can't tell the difference. We might do something like that for our second wing.
With occupancy like that, I would as a new buyer want to look into adding even more rooms! Of couse, I have other friends who would say it's time for you to up your rates, too!
Riki
Sorry, but it still sounds like a poor idea to me.

If you are living in the travel trailer, taking showers and such, how will you dump the sewage??.
We are about 1/8 mile from a large campground. If I stand at the end of the drive and look West, I can see their sign from here.

I honestly was not trying to rain on your parade. I am not knocking trailers - after realizing Daddy was not going to build the house onto the 2-car garage that was a "temporary" 4-room house with house behind the house, Mom agreed to buy a trailer and that is what I lived in probably for 12 years total between that and my trailer that we bought after the camper start-up. They are really nice living quarters.
I know your asking price is more than fair but how many will be able to build anything after purchasing. Believe me, I have done a lot of "settle for" in my living space over the years. And I know how long it takes for "some day" to actually arrive. If it were not for my kids, I would still be in "some day" mode for my owners bathroom. I will not go into the things that took priority over the years with DH. I was 10 years into the B & B before he would agree to getthe loan to create a private bath because HE could not see that it would make a difference - he owns half the house!
Please do not be upset with us. I know I was truly trying to be helpful - you asked for opinions.

I honestly was not trying to rain on your parade. I am not knocking trailers - after realizing Daddy was not going to build the house onto the 2-car garage that was a "temporary" 4-room house with house behind the house, Mom agreed to buy a trailer and that is what I lived in probably for 12 years total between that and my trailer that we bought after the camper start-up. They are really nice living quarters.
I know your asking price is more than fair but how many will be able to build anything after purchasing. Believe me, I have done a lot of "settle for" in my living space over the years. And I know how long it takes for "some day" to actually arrive. If it were not for my kids, I would still be in "some day" mode for my owners bathroom. I will not go into the things that took priority over the years with DH. I was 10 years into the B & B before he would agree to getthe loan to create a private bath because HE could not see that it would make a difference - he owns half the house!
Please do not be upset with us. I know I was truly trying to be helpful - you asked for opinions..
Who's upset? I haven't said anything.

i would not purchase a b&b with offsite living quarters unless it is really comfortable and very close by ~ and very pleasing visually.
my first preference is to be in the same building as the guests.

Just a few other thoughts:
One part of the question comes down to cost.. If the trailer costs $6,500 would the additional bedroom cover the cost in a year or two?
Other than questions like....would the trailer space be right for you to be comfortable in for the busy season? (only you can know that) I would look at it as a probable loss, adding the trailer would probably add little value to the property. However, if you added a cabin / cottage that you could rent out as a 4th suite / deluxe room (bringing in a higher dollar value than you would bring in by renting out your room) you would bring in more income, and have space that adds lasting value to both the business and the property. Adding the trailer for you, would give you no expenses against your income, but adding a cabin for guest use would.

Just a few other thoughts:
One part of the question comes down to cost.. If the trailer costs $6,500 would the additional bedroom cover the cost in a year or two?
Other than questions like....would the trailer space be right for you to be comfortable in for the busy season? (only you can know that) I would look at it as a probable loss, adding the trailer would probably add little value to the property. However, if you added a cabin / cottage that you could rent out as a 4th suite / deluxe room (bringing in a higher dollar value than you would bring in by renting out your room) you would bring in more income, and have space that adds lasting value to both the business and the property. Adding the trailer for you, would give you no expenses against your income, but adding a cabin for guest use would..
I think Swirt has brought up a good point. The $6,500 travel trailer won't add value and by your previous answer, it seems that you'll have to hook it up to a vehicle to empty the black tank at the nearby campgrounds (unless I misunderstood your previous post) which is a real negative.
Here's the problem as I see it. Will someone buy your inn with the owner's quarters the way it is or with a travel trailer option? Yes, but you are severely limiting the number of buyers that would be interested and it could take a long time. If you make more of an investment by putting a more subtantial cabin or manufactured cottage, you could raise the selling price to cover your investment and then you would open up the percentage of possible buyers that would be interested in buying your inn and the potential future earnings would be a big "incentive" to the new owners.

While I appreciate everyone's suggestions, most are far beyond what our financial resources will allow us to do...building or buying a structure, septic, well and electrical considerations, etc. Certainly the fourth room would more than pay for the travel trailer in one year.
I guess my focus was more on the most inexpensive way to get the fourth room online and impacting the bottom line rather than looking at it from a buyer's point of view. Maybe I assumed that the 4th room and resulting income would make it more attractive than it is now, and that the increased bottom line would help them decide what to do for their own OQ. (Our GRM would go from 5.6 to 4 by my conservative projections)
Hmmm...what to do, what to do.

While I appreciate everyone's suggestions, most are far beyond what our financial resources will allow us to do...building or buying a structure, septic, well and electrical considerations, etc. Certainly the fourth room would more than pay for the travel trailer in one year.
I guess my focus was more on the most inexpensive way to get the fourth room online and impacting the bottom line rather than looking at it from a buyer's point of view. Maybe I assumed that the 4th room and resulting income would make it more attractive than it is now, and that the increased bottom line would help them decide what to do for their own OQ. (Our GRM would go from 5.6 to 4 by my conservative projections)
Hmmm...what to do, what to do..
I think as long as you can provide possible buyers with options they have for increasing the bottom line when they take it over, that should be an incentive. It doesn't mean you have to do it for them. I wouldn't be putting out any more money than I absoutely had to before selling. You know someone will still want to be negotiaing on your price no matter how reasonable we think it is.

is there attic space that is possible?
basement space that is possible for a bedroom? (catlady, don't shudder)
storage space that is a possibility for conversion?
i realize none of these offers a bathroom, just thinking of possible space that can be used for your sleeping area.
i have been in quite a few b&b's as potential buyer or employee and have seen many innkeeper quarters that are in these areas.

Back