Innkeeping is not for wimps!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
INNKEEPING IS NOT FOR WIMPS
WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE
Things they never told you about being an innkeeper
When people are thinking of taking their first steps toward innkeeping, many around them are quick to give advice. They will warn of the toil involved, the strength of character and the stamina that are needed, the long hours... But however much warning is given, one is always quick to disregard it and shrug one's shoulders because really, how hard can it be?
After years of innkeeping, we have seen hundreds come and go, many who lose it all in the transaction, from marriages to financial ruin; eager at the start but quickly disenchanted and just as eager to get out. But you cannot just walk away, the investment is too large. Only a small percentage of people who walk into the world of innkeeping stay there once faced with this harsh environment.
Below is a list that we compiled of all the realities of day to day life as an innkeeper, based on our own experiences. This is AFTER you own the inn, not the process leading up to it!
What you can expect from making a living as an innkeeper:
1. You'll almost always have a false smile on your face, to welcome guests who are happily on vacation (even when exhausted, sick or worse).
2. You'll always meet new people but have few friendships, because your social life deteriorates into non-existence.
3. You'll find it hard to start relationships because alone time will become a precious thing.
4. Your sense of humour will degrade into the politically correct and socially acceptable as you have to watch your p’s and q’s all the time.
5. You'll eventually start swearing like a sailor in the privacy of the kitchen when dealing with difficult people on a regular basis.
6. You'll turn into an anorak/monomaniac and always turn all conversations back to the inn, as this is what people want to ask you about.
7. You'll earn a pittance for years/decades, if you earn anything at all.
8. You'll gain a vast amount of weight, as in the freshman 15 as you can’t see beautiful food wasted, so whatever is left from afternoon refreshments you eat.
9. You'll never ever have a tan ever again, you only go outside to go shopping or business chores.
10. You will spend every waking hour marketing your inn.
11. You will learn all social media, because you have to, not because you like it.
12. Your knees will get destroyed.
13. You'll live in a constant state of sleep deprivation, indefinitely.
14. You'll have to ask your friends to plan everything around your schedule, which is in complete opposition with their availability, because you work every weekend, and every day.
15. You'll become of a very highly strung nature, quick to have an answer for everything, as that is expected of you.
16. You'll become more prone to temper flare ups with those you love.
17. Your awareness of other people's lack of efficiency and common sense will increase and your tolerance of it will decrease. A GPS is not the best thing since sliced bread!
18. You'll spend the largest part of your life cooped up in a small, undecorated room with poor ventilation, high temperatures, other people’s noise, humidity, no natural light and no windows, with a strangers who will become your only social interactions.
19. You’ll soon feel like Dr Phil when guests pour out their lives traumas to you, without asking them.
COMPLETE LIST ON INNTERACTIVE INNS here.
Thank you to Kloii for Wake up and smell the cake here.
"50 things they never told you about being a chef"
which was the inspiration for our INNKEEPING IS NOT FOR WIMPS tribute..
From my experience so far this seems about right.
Granted we are not open on the b&b portion yet, but just the motel. Eight rooms, 16 beds. Last year we could find no housekeeping help. DH and I did all the grounds maintenance (5 acres of lawn, beach to rake, dock to wash, boats to bail), laundry, and office work. On top of that DH had his consulting business. We also had remodeling going on at the lodge.
I also felt the need (as b&b training) to at least put out homemade muffins or rolls and coffee for all in the mornings. Up at 5, bed about 11. I washed all linnens, including bedspreads, blankets and mattress pads between every guest. Oh yes, chat nicely with the guests. Yikes, were we burnt out by Oct.
This year, I am determined to find help. I am going to contact service agencies and see if they will come on a daily basis if I can't find someone local, even tho they are an hour away. I am going to set some hours for the office....
And oddly, I am anxious to get started again.
I am exhausted just reading this - no wonder we didn't hear from you last season!
I did some rough totals year end....1400 loads of laundry, 1500 muffins and 300 pots of coffee consumed...some things best not counted! And you guys do this year round!!!! Don't want to guess your numbers!!
Every year I do these sorts of tallies and tell the guests. They get a kick out of how many pounds of blueberries we go thru, who came from the farthest away, how many pounds of coffee, who was the oldest and the youngest. Basically a top 10 list.
It's a blog idea...
Yikes, I'd hate to know how many pounds of butter and cheese I go through in a year!
Breakfast Diva said:
Yikes, I'd hate to know how many pounds of butter and cheese I go through in a year!
I don't even want to add up the pounds I consume!!
omg_smile.gif

When people are thinking of taking their first steps toward innkeeping, many around them are quick to give advice. They will warn of the toil involved, the strength of character and the stamina that are needed, the long hours... But however much warning is given, one is always quick to disregard it and shrug one's shoulders because really, how hard can it be?
After years of innkeeping, we have seen hundreds come and go, many who lose it all in the transaction, from marriages to financial ruin; eager at the start but quickly disenchanted and just as eager to get out. But you cannot just walk away, the investment is too large. Only a small percentage of people who walk into the world of innkeeping stay there once faced with this harsh environment.
Below is a list that we compiled of all the realities of day to day life as an innkeeper, based on our own experiences. This is AFTER you own the inn, not the process leading up to it!
1. You'll almost always have a false smile on your face, to welcome guests who are happily on vacation (even when exhausted, sick or worse).
2. You'll always meet new people but have few friendships, because your social life deteriorates into non-existence.
3. You'll find it hard to start relationships because alone time will become a precious thing.
4. Your sense of humour will degrade into the politically correct and socially acceptable as you have to watch your p’s and q’s all the time.
5. You'll eventually start swearing like a sailor in the privacy of the kitchen when dealing with difficult people on a regular basis.
6. You'll turn into an anorak/monomaniac and always turn all conversations back to the inn, as this is what people want to ask you about.
8. You'll gain a vast amount of weight, as in the freshman 15 as you can’t see beautiful food wasted, so whatever is left from afternoon refreshments you eat.
9. You'll never ever have a tan ever again, you only go outside to go shopping or business chores.
11. You will learn all social media, because you have to, not because you like it.
14. You'll have to ask your friends to plan everything around your schedule, which is in complete opposition with their availability, because you work every weekend, and every day.
15. You'll become of a very highly strung nature, quick to have an answer for everything, as that is expected of you.
17. Your awareness of other people's lack of efficiency and common sense will increase and your tolerance of it will decrease. A GPS is not the best thing since sliced bread!
18. You'll spend the largest part of your life cooped up in a small, undecorated room with poor ventilation, high temperatures, other people’s noise, humidity, no natural light and no windows, with a strangers who will become your only social interactions.
19. You’ll soon feel like Dr Phil when guests pour out their lives traumas to you, without asking them.
Granted we are not open on the b&b portion yet, but just the motel. Eight rooms, 16 beds. Last year we could find no housekeeping help. DH and I did all the grounds maintenance (5 acres of lawn, beach to rake, dock to wash, boats to bail), laundry, and office work. On top of that DH had his consulting business. We also had remodeling going on at the lodge.
I also felt the need (as b&b training) to at least put out homemade muffins or rolls and coffee for all in the mornings. Up at 5, bed about 11. I washed all linnens, including bedspreads, blankets and mattress pads between every guest. Oh yes, chat nicely with the guests. Yikes, were we burnt out by Oct.
This year, I am determined to find help. I am going to contact service agencies and see if they will come on a daily basis if I can't find someone local, even tho they are an hour away. I am going to set some hours for the office....
give up washing the mattress pads and spreads every time - with the volume of numbers it just isnt practical - maybe think about runners
http://www.yorkshirelinen.com/heat-seal-natural-bed-runner.html
will save you a fortune on washing and less bother in the summer - think about duvets which just need covers changing and not blankets
I am surprised you wern't dead! plus i know how much other work you have to do with the renovations etc plus you will wear out all your stuff in double quick time.
I know I wash too often, but I just can't NOT.
At this point, I just feel that I thrash about and know I come into contact with all the linens, and I figure I would like them fresh, so I figure everyone else would too. I even air them on the line after drying in the dryer if I get a chance.
I have some very light spreads that wash and dry well--faster than changing duvets. I A lot of wear and tear I know, but .....
And you are one to talk about not being dead with all you have on your plate! :)
white pine said:
I know I wash too often, but I just can't NOT.
Believe me I do the squirmy dance whenever I hear an innkeeper tell me they don't have time to wash anything but sheets and towels except maybe once/year. Ewww. That is hotel stuff.
And just to make it totally ewww, what is it with people lately and the boogers everywhere? On the wall? The quilts? The bedskirts? People- there are tissues RIGHT THERE on the nightstand.
Sorry, that is still with me after last weekend, had to let it out.
I wash my runners or quits about once a week simply due to tiny marks - will be glad to be more into summer (we have had snow this week) cos then I change all beds to runners! lot less washing!

Personally? Unless those guests are extremely sloppy or staying 2 weeks at a time, I would not wash everything you are washing as often as you are washing it. In season, I do wash everything you mentioned every 2 weeks. But not after every guest. Sorry, I know there's stuff I can't see but I won't tie myself down again.
We went one year with no help, too. The year from hell. We vowed we would limit bookings if we couldn't get help again. It's just too much. However, I do know innkeepers who only clean rooms after check-outs so they don't hire anyone for inside work. Which is an option if we don't get help again.
If you can, bake those muffins at night while trying to sit down and relax. And bake a lot of them and freeze them.
If nothing else, get a lawn mowing service in! That has saved our sanity many times over.
(There I go again offering unsolicited advice! Yeesh!)
Last year was the year from hell in terms of too much to do...we did turn down bookings a couple of times. We do have someone local who will mow, but DH prefers to do it when guests are out. The local mowed our wild blueberry patch!
I did resort to frozen danish a couple of times for back-up, this year I will use the freezer more.
We do save the "left-over" muffins for the earliest risers, but it is so nice to take the fresh hot baked muffins out on the porch with the steaming coffee and watch the morning come.
Wish I could share that with you all! My one bit of peace before the madness kicks in.
lodge%20at%20twilight_0.jpg

Personally? Unless those guests are extremely sloppy or staying 2 weeks at a time, I would not wash everything you are washing as often as you are washing it. In season, I do wash everything you mentioned every 2 weeks. But not after every guest. Sorry, I know there's stuff I can't see but I won't tie myself down again.
We went one year with no help, too. The year from hell. We vowed we would limit bookings if we couldn't get help again. It's just too much. However, I do know innkeepers who only clean rooms after check-outs so they don't hire anyone for inside work. Which is an option if we don't get help again.
If you can, bake those muffins at night while trying to sit down and relax. And bake a lot of them and freeze them.
If nothing else, get a lawn mowing service in! That has saved our sanity many times over.
Last year was the year from hell in terms of too much to do...we did turn down bookings a couple of times. We do have someone local who will mow, but DH prefers to do it when guests are out. The local mowed our wild blueberry patch!
I did resort to frozen danish a couple of times for back-up, this year I will use the freezer more.
We do save the "left-over" muffins for the earliest risers, but it is so nice to take the fresh hot baked muffins out on the porch with the steaming coffee and watch the morning come.
Wish I could share that with you all! My one bit of peace before the madness kicks in.

Got to use that freezer to save your sanity. Did you you you can set the muffins up for baking in the tray, freeze the tray, remove them from the tray to store and then when you need them, defrost overnight and bake from the fridge. They actually should rise higher.

Got to use that freezer to save your sanity. Did you you you can set the muffins up for baking in the tray, freeze the tray, remove them from the tray to store and then when you need them, defrost overnight and bake from the fridge. They actually should rise higher.
I didn't know that. Thanks, I'll give it a try!

Gorgeous!

Wow! That porch is amazing, that water view awesome!!!

Wow! That porch is amazing, that water view awesome!!!
Wish you all could come, put your feet up, drink some coffee and have this morning chat there!

Beautiful! I wish I were there too!!

What a fabulous place...and the picture is a knockout! I can just picture you sitting on that porch at 6 am with a cup of joe! I guess the ability to actually live in such a beautiful place is the main incentive for doing all the work the B+B requires. I know that it keeps us going...even when we think that we will slow down, we never do!

When people ask me what innkeeping is like, I ask them if they have kids and if they do, can they remember what having a newborn baby in the house was like.

this is why this forum is invaluable!

If I had that view....I would never want to leave....

I am exhausted just reading this - no wonder we didn't hear from you last season!
I did some rough totals year end....1400 loads of laundry, 1500 muffins and 300 pots of coffee consumed...some things best not counted! And you guys do this year round!!!! Don't want to guess your numbers!!
Every year I do these sorts of tallies and tell the guests. They get a kick out of how many pounds of blueberries we go thru, who came from the farthest away, how many pounds of coffee, who was the oldest and the youngest. Basically a top 10 list.
It's a blog idea...
I've started compiling a list of the different countries represented by our guests, just since we started last Halloween. It hit 50 by April 1.

Just this weekend, we had seven unexpected bookings because of the flooding on Colorado's front range (we're on the other side of the continental divide, and while it was damp and gloomy at our place, nobody died; though some of the locals who are used to corona-blue skies this time of year wished they were dead because they couldn't hike or climb).

A family reunion that got washed out (literally) of Estes Park, found us. A couple from San Francisco had to evacuate Boulder (he was with the DOE and giving a seminar on "laser safety"; God only knows what that entailed) and a mom/pop with daughter and son-in-law looking at wedding venues.

And here we were, hoping for a week's respite before the place started to fill up for aspen color lookers.

But to point: one of the women in the displaced family reunion looked at me the first night during happy hour and pointedly asked me, "So, are you as happy as you thought you would be when you started this business? (She was from New Jersey and either Italian or Jewish and had bluntness down to a science.)

"Oh," I said, "this business has exceeded our expectations. We have met amazing people from all over the world, some of whom have become good friends. We are happier than we ever expected to be."

Her eyes got wide, and she told me the story of one of her relatives who bought a B&B in New Jersey and hadn't run it for a year before she put it on the market. Evidently, they all came from a self-reliant family whose attitude to unexpected adversity was to "suck it up," which isn't exactly the best customer service attitude to cultivate when one is an innkeeper.

I laughed and told her the story of my wife's and my first PAII convention (before we'd bought our inn), when we both remarked at the number of innkeepers on the convention floor with unhappy expressions on their face. "Damn, girl," I told Julie, "I cook with a lot of buttermilk, but I sure wouldn't want to confront something *that* sour at breakfast." I also mentioned that another innkeeper had shared an (unconfirmed) statistic that the average run of an innkeeper is ten years, after which the innkeepers "begin to hate people."

Regarding compulsive cleaning, whenever possible, we hang our linens out to dry and be whipped by the Colorado "breezes." I tend to "sniff" the blankets and spreads, and if I detect anything when making the bed, the coverings go into the laundry as well as the sheets. My hearing may be going to Hell, but the nose still works.

All told, at the end of our summer season, we still are hoping for a few weeks of minimal occupancy to do some deferred maintenance before ramping up for ski season, but these unexpected September bookings will go a long way to helping us pay the October mortgage. When you're an innkeeper, it's all good!
Tom

Just this weekend, we had seven unexpected bookings because of the flooding on Colorado's front range (we're on the other side of the continental divide, and while it was damp and gloomy at our place, nobody died; though some of the locals who are used to corona-blue skies this time of year wished they were dead because they couldn't hike or climb).

A family reunion that got washed out (literally) of Estes Park, found us. A couple from San Francisco had to evacuate Boulder (he was with the DOE and giving a seminar on "laser safety"; God only knows what that entailed) and a mom/pop with daughter and son-in-law looking at wedding venues.

And here we were, hoping for a week's respite before the place started to fill up for aspen color lookers.

But to point: one of the women in the displaced family reunion looked at me the first night during happy hour and pointedly asked me, "So, are you as happy as you thought you would be when you started this business? (She was from New Jersey and either Italian or Jewish and had bluntness down to a science.)

"Oh," I said, "this business has exceeded our expectations. We have met amazing people from all over the world, some of whom have become good friends. We are happier than we ever expected to be."

Her eyes got wide, and she told me the story of one of her relatives who bought a B&B in New Jersey and hadn't run it for a year before she put it on the market. Evidently, they all came from a self-reliant family whose attitude to unexpected adversity was to "suck it up," which isn't exactly the best customer service attitude to cultivate when one is an innkeeper.

I laughed and told her the story of my wife's and my first PAII convention (before we'd bought our inn), when we both remarked at the number of innkeepers on the convention floor with unhappy expressions on their face. "Damn, girl," I told Julie, "I cook with a lot of buttermilk, but I sure wouldn't want to confront something *that* sour at breakfast." I also mentioned that another innkeeper had shared an (unconfirmed) statistic that the average run of an innkeeper is ten years, after which the innkeepers "begin to hate people."

Regarding compulsive cleaning, whenever possible, we hang our linens out to dry and be whipped by the Colorado "breezes." I tend to "sniff" the blankets and spreads, and if I detect anything when making the bed, the coverings go into the laundry as well as the sheets. My hearing may be going to Hell, but the nose still works.

All told, at the end of our summer season, we still are hoping for a few weeks of minimal occupancy to do some deferred maintenance before ramping up for ski season, but these unexpected September bookings will go a long way to helping us pay the October mortgage. When you're an innkeeper, it's all good!
Tom.
I think too much of this problem is people don't really know what they are getting into - they think they do but they don't. Mr cambs and I did 30 years + hospitality between us prior to this - did triple shifts, 7 days a week, were on 24 hour call out etc, but the number of people we get who say they have always fancied it makes me laugh
(1) most popular group right now is the we don't have any money group! in the UK its a 55% deposit for hospitality businesses so no fricking chance

Back