Insurance recommendations

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wolfe Innkeepers Insurance… covers everything..
Duff2014 said:
Wolfe Innkeepers Insurance… covers everything.
Ah no, no they don't, at least not in some areas like mine.

They sent me a renewal about 2 weeks before my policy ended, the renewal was almost the same as the year before but they had dropped coverage for wind/hail. No notice I guess hoping I would not see the reduction in coverage. When I called my rep. she just said Oh, you will have to get that elsewhere like it was nothing important! Well here, it kinda is MAJOR important.
Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:

They sent me a renewal about 2 weeks before my policy ended, the renewal was almost the same as the year before but they had dropped coverage for wind/hail. No notice I guess hoping I would not see the reduction in coverage. When I called my rep. she just said Oh, you will have to get that elsewhere like it was nothing important! Well here, it kinda is MAJOR important.
What did you do?
Duff2014 said:
Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:

What did you do?
Started here asking for contacts. Unfortunately where I am located many companies have pulled out so then went calling local ins cos. Went with one who after the first year pulled the same stunt. So now we are with another. The funny thing... the carrier is the same one - Lloyds! So why the other agencies say that they could not get wind/hail is beyond me.

From all that I have dealt with over the last few years, the thing I have found is that it all depends on the agent and their willingness to find you the best coverage for the best rate. Some find you coverage but not necessarily at the best rate. You need to shop.
Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:
Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:

What did you do?
Started here asking for contacts. Unfortunately where I am located many companies have pulled out so then went calling local ins cos. Went with one who after the first year pulled the same stunt. So now we are with another. The funny thing... the carrier is the same one - Lloyds! So why the other agencies say that they could not get wind/hail is beyond me.

From all that I have dealt with over the last few years, the thing I have found is that it all depends on the agent and their willingness to find you the best coverage for the best rate. Some find you coverage but not necessarily at the best rate. You need to shop.
We did but as soon as they heard pool that was the end…. A good thing to think about before getting a place with a pool or putting a pool in. They are terrible expensive to upkeep and insure after having it put in.
Duff2014 said:
Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:
Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:

What did you do?

We did but as soon as they heard pool that was the end…. A good thing to think about before getting a place with a pool or putting a pool in. They are terrible expensive to upkeep and insure after having it put in.
We have a pool too.
What was interesting is that back when we were deciding about putting in the pool we called Wolfe (who was our agent at the time) to check out the costs, etc. They said not an issue. And in fact once we put the pool in, our policy did not change.
As we searched for ins in the last few years, as mentioned in this tread, we were never told that the pool was a major factor at all but it could have been. We are limited due to the limited insurance companies writing polices in our area and even fewer that write B&B policies.
cry_smile.gif

Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:
Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:
Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:

What did you do?

We have a pool too.
What was interesting is that back when we were deciding about putting in the pool we called Wolfe (who was our agent at the time) to check out the costs, etc. They said not an issue. And in fact once we put the pool in, our policy did not change.
As we searched for ins in the last few years, as mentioned in this tread, we were never told that the pool was a major factor at all but it could have been. We are limited due to the limited insurance companies writing polices in our area and even fewer that write B&B policies.
cry_smile.gif
Here it is flood insurance. It's to the point that the real estate ads let you know whether you need it or not. We are on the higher ground so not an issue for us… unless a ts….. (those 20+ foot waves) comes. Our pool was our issue. Been there since the 1970s and doesn't look like its going away any time soon. The folks in the house right now are using it a lot so it makes us feel better when we pay for it. Just bought some more shock. Do you use the powdered stuff or liquid? We use the mega liquid shock since we found the powder stuff to cloud the water. But a warning, it eats fabrics so if it splashes on you when you are putting it in… say goodbye to those clothes. I have a set of clothes I call my pool clothes. I wear them when shocking the pool for that reason.
We tried the liquid, but have gone back to the old faithful cost vs outcome.
The cost of upkeep is driving us batty.
And the phone calls, like today: Can I bring the family over to swim? I'll pay! It's summer!!!

Duff2014 said:

Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:

What did you do?
Duff2014 said:
Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:

What did you do?

Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:
Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:

What did you do?

Duff2014 said:
Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:
Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:

What did you do?

We have a pool too.
cry_smile.gif

Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:
Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:
Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:

What did you do?

We have a pool too.
cry_smile.gif
Here it is flood insurance. It's to the point that the real estate ads let you know whether you need it or not. We are on the higher ground so not an issue for us… unless a ts….. (those 20+ foot waves) comes. Our pool was our issue. Been there since the 1970s and doesn't look like its going away any time soon. The folks in the house right now are using it a lot so it makes us feel better when we pay for it. Just bought some more shock. Do you use the powdered stuff or liquid? We use the mega liquid shock since we found the powder stuff to cloud the water. But a warning, it eats fabrics so if it splashes on you when you are putting it in… say goodbye to those clothes. I have a set of clothes I call my pool clothes. I wear them when shocking the pool for that reason.
And the phone calls, like today: Can I bring the family over to swim? I'll pay! It's summer!!!
Copperhead said:
I had someone call last summer like that. "Hey, We used to stay at your place long time ago but now we stay somewhere else. Can we come use the pool today. We will pay good money for the privilege…. Oh come on, fast money for you…." They didn't get it. (Now they know where to book if they want a pool!)
We like the liquid for the speed and not have to wait for the water to clear again. Maybe we put it in wrong. Do you just dump it in or diluted it first?

Duff2014 said:

Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:

What did you do?
Duff2014 said:
Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:

What did you do?

Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:
Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:

What did you do?

Duff2014 said:
Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:
Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:

What did you do?

We have a pool too.
cry_smile.gif

Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:
Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:
Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:

What did you do?

We have a pool too.
cry_smile.gif
Copperhead said:
I had someone call last summer like that. "Hey, We used to stay at your place long time ago but now we stay somewhere else. Can we come use the pool today. We will pay good money for the privilege…. Oh come on, fast money for you…." They didn't get it. (Now they know where to book if they want a pool!)
We like the liquid for the speed and not have to wait for the water to clear again. Maybe we put it in wrong. Do you just dump it in or diluted it first?
Duff2014 said:
I believe DH dilutes it, which I guess would make it just like the liquid, huh!
wink_smile.gif

Duff2014 said:

Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:

What did you do?
Duff2014 said:
Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:

What did you do?

Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:
Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:

What did you do?

Duff2014 said:
Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:
Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:

What did you do?

We have a pool too.
cry_smile.gif

Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:
Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:
Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:

What did you do?

We have a pool too.
cry_smile.gif
Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:
wink_smile.gif

Copperhead said:
Duff2014 said:
wink_smile.gif
Right! Our direction said to just dump it in the deepest part…. so we did! So much to learn for this newbie! Glad to have experience help!!!! So much for following directions!

Back