Interesting change for those considering Airbnb membership

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the post, I just cancelled my 5 listings on AirBnB. Good-bye,
How sneeky, without notice to owners, they have changed MY cancellation policy.
5 days notice is B.S. and leaves owners at a serious disadvantage.
I will stick with FLIPkey, VRBO and HomeAway

Sadly, AirBnB used to be great, but now it punishes the owners.

I don't remember setting my cancellation policy, so I think it must have defaulted to 24 hours!!!!! No, no, no ,no ,no. Not having that. Change it to 5 days.

I don't use Airbnb so this change really doesn't have an effect on me, but may I pose a silly thought to the group.
I expect guests don't think of it that way, but a cancellation notice should be a two way street, it should work the same for both parties, how long of a notice would the guest like if the innkeeper wanted to cancel the reservation? I expect they would see the notice differently from that prospective.
Wonder what the guest would choose if we asked them to pick the length of the cancellation notice?

I don't use Airbnb so this change really doesn't have an effect on me, but may I pose a silly thought to the group.
I expect guests don't think of it that way, but a cancellation notice should be a two way street, it should work the same for both parties, how long of a notice would the guest like if the innkeeper wanted to cancel the reservation? I expect they would see the notice differently from that prospective.
Wonder what the guest would choose if we asked them to pick the length of the cancellation notice?.
JimBoone said:
Wonder what the guest would choose if we asked them to pick the length of the cancellation notice?
Great point Jim. I'm afraid the guest still wouldn't see our side of it, but nevertheless, great point!

Wonder what the guest would choose if we asked them to pick the length of the cancellation notice?.
Air has a way of punishing hosts who cancel rooms that are confirmed.
Generally speaking, no guest expects to be left without a room when they have a confirmation.
This made it very hard for us last month when I had to leave because my mom died. I spent several hours trying to find accommodations for 10 different room reservations. Nothing doing. I got one room rebooked elsewhere.
Gomez had to stay here to run the show while I took off by myself for a 6 hour drive. He was able to join me 4 days later.
We would have been horribly slammed on every review site had we just shut our doors and left. Even with an explanation what are guests supposed to do at that point? There were no rooms to be had.
Yet guests do it all the time. Noon on Friday we get calls canceling the whole weekend and demands for return of deposits and no charges expected for any of the cancelled stay. It's the rare guest who says they understand.

Generally speaking, no guest expects to be left without a room when they have a confirmation.
This made it very hard for us last month when I had to leave because my mom died. I spent several hours trying to find accommodations for 10 different room reservations. Nothing doing. I got one room rebooked elsewhere.
Gomez had to stay here to run the show while I took off by myself for a 6 hour drive. He was able to join me 4 days later.
We would have been horribly slammed on every review site had we just shut our doors and left. Even with an explanation what are guests supposed to do at that point? There were no rooms to be had.
Yet guests do it all the time. Noon on Friday we get calls canceling the whole weekend and demands for return of deposits and no charges expected for any of the cancelled stay. It's the rare guest who says they understand.
It never ceases to amaze me that people expect their deposit back when they cancel, especially at short notice.
What's the point of taking a deposit if we refund it as soon as they cancel.

It never ceases to amaze me that people expect their deposit back when they cancel, especially at short notice.
I had one today. 3 night rez, they decided to go stay with friends for free.

It's free to try so they will give it a shot, I don't blame them really.

I know the concept of NON REFUNDABLE deposit escapes them - I also put on NON TRANSFERABLE as have had groups all "so that's off my bill now" - Nope

I know the concept of NON REFUNDABLE deposit escapes them - I also put on NON TRANSFERABLE as have had groups all "so that's off my bill now" - Nope
Just like a plane ticket. You're not boarding that plane if your name isn't on the ticket.

Back