Interesting Take on Responding to Criticism (i.e. Reviews)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnTheShore

Reaction score
If you are on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/restaurant-owner-issued-remarkable-response-new-york-times-bariso
“We are not content resting on what we did yesterday. We believe we can do better for ourselves, our profession and most importantly our guests. We have the opportunity, the tools, the self-motivation and the dedication to do so.... .....When we fall short, we work even harder.”

Good reminders for all. It's so easy to become defensive when someone doesn't like something about our 'perfect' B&Bs. There are always going to be things that we can't change (a set of stairs, the weather, etc.) sometimes silly stuff, but we should always listen with an open mind. If someone was confused with a room description- change it! If your favourite dish goes uneaten more often than not, don't make it any more.

Good reminders for all. It's so easy to become defensive when someone doesn't like something about our 'perfect' B&Bs. There are always going to be things that we can't change (a set of stairs, the weather, etc.) sometimes silly stuff, but we should always listen with an open mind. If someone was confused with a room description- change it! If your favourite dish goes uneaten more often than not, don't make it any more..
We had a guest way back when who started complaining the minute he walked in the door that our directions were wrong and they spent an hour wandering around trying to find us. I asked to see the directions he was waving around and realized the font his computer used made a capital I (for Interstate) look like a number 1. That put him on a completely different road (even tho they actually got off at the wrong exit number).
I told him I would fix that right now while Gomez checked them in. He stood there sputtering because I didn't argue, I just fixed it.

Good reminders for all. It's so easy to become defensive when someone doesn't like something about our 'perfect' B&Bs. There are always going to be things that we can't change (a set of stairs, the weather, etc.) sometimes silly stuff, but we should always listen with an open mind. If someone was confused with a room description- change it! If your favourite dish goes uneaten more often than not, don't make it any more..
We had a guest way back when who started complaining the minute he walked in the door that our directions were wrong and they spent an hour wandering around trying to find us. I asked to see the directions he was waving around and realized the font his computer used made a capital I (for Interstate) look like a number 1. That put him on a completely different road (even tho they actually got off at the wrong exit number).
I told him I would fix that right now while Gomez checked them in. He stood there sputtering because I didn't argue, I just fixed it.
thumbs_up.gif

Yes, it just goes to show that the proper response usually takes the legs out from under the heat of the situation. I have learned a lot from DH in that regard over the years. Rather than get defensive, be responsive. You can't push a string, as the old saying goes!
shades_smile.gif

Back