Intro

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
definitely, starting a B&B from scratch would be very laborious and still no guarantee that it will be a success! in my opinion going for a pre established one is certainly a smart move.

Welcome!

You are doing the wise thing by educating yourself right here! There is lots to learn.

Your question: is it reasonable for a single...... to own/run a B&B?

The short answer is yes! But there is a BUT: It all depends on YOU. I know of a few single women running B&B's in their 70's! Again, it all depends on YOU.

Read on! And once you feel you are closer to deciding, you should attend an innkeeper seminar. Maybe go to work for one that is hiring to get a hands on approach. But first, read on!.
Thank you! I've been looking into a innkeeper seminars but there seem to be quite a few providers. Any solid recommendations?
DRG
#1 Not sure where you are located, but I am going to the www.PAInns.com conference at State College inNov 3-5. Run by the state B&B conference, not too far from NY. PA has the second highest # of B&Bs, so likely good quality...
#2 Are you going to the CIA or in NYC for culinary?
#3 Don't assume going into business with your siblings is automatically a good idea. At least with a spouse, you have been together for a while. Funny things happen when family members go from seeing each other from time to time, to trying to live and own a business together. Have seen too many Restaurant/Hotel impossible episodes of family businesses that are struggling, and the toll it takes on the relationships...
#4 There is a significant difference between B&B serving breakfast and a chef. Perhaps you should go more in the direction of an inn, where you can serve 3 meals a day. Then you can wrap your morning meal to guests as well as serve some type of meals to the outside world. There may be a lot of synergies.
We are currently looking for a place; some for sale also had commercial kitchen/bad/seating area in addition to rooms.
#1 Thank you!
#2 I went to the Natural Gourmet Institute in NYC--special diet requests are my specialty :)
#3 We are three sisters--no spouses. I agree that business with family has the possibility to be dicey.
#4 I would definitely consider an inn, catering, cooking classes, or some additional cooking element to a B&B.
Thanks for your insight!

Welcome!

You are doing the wise thing by educating yourself right here! There is lots to learn.

The short answer is yes! But there is a BUT: It all depends on YOU. I know of a few single women running B&B's in their 70's! Again, it all depends on YOU.

Read on! And once you feel you are closer to deciding, you should attend an innkeeper seminar. Maybe go to work for one that is hiring to get a hands on approach. But first, read on!.
Thank you! I've been looking into a innkeeper seminars but there seem to be quite a few providers. Any solid recommendations?
DRG
#1 Not sure where you are located, but I am going to the www.PAInns.com conference at State College inNov 3-5. Run by the state B&B conference, not too far from NY. PA has the second highest # of B&Bs, so likely good quality...
#3 Don't assume going into business with your siblings is automatically a good idea. At least with a spouse, you have been together for a while. Funny things happen when family members go from seeing each other from time to time, to trying to live and own a business together. Have seen too many Restaurant/Hotel impossible episodes of family businesses that are struggling, and the toll it takes on the relationships...
#4 There is a significant difference between B&B serving breakfast and a chef. Perhaps you should go more in the direction of an inn, where you can serve 3 meals a day. Then you can wrap your morning meal to guests as well as serve some type of meals to the outside world. There may be a lot of synergies.
We are currently looking for a place; some for sale also had commercial kitchen/bad/seating area in addition to rooms.
*accidental double posting*

Welcome!

DRG
#1 Thank you!
#2 I went to the Natural Gourmet Institute in NYC--special diet requests are my specialty :)
#3 We are three sisters--no spouses. I agree that business with family has the possibility to be dicey.
#4 I would definitely consider an inn, catering, cooking classes, or some additional cooking element to a B&B.
Thanks for your insight!
ChefDRG said:
#1 Thank you!
Thanks for your insight!
If you decide to take the next step and look at properties, make sure you're looking at the ones that either have or can have a commercial kitchen. You'll definitely need a commercial kitchen if you plan on cooking more than breakfast in most areas of the country.

Latest posts

Back