Introduction

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twinkle

Reaction score
I would like to thank everyone on this forum for being so helpful (without knowing it) as my husband and I open our small, very part-time B&B. We just have two rooms in a old century home that used to be a B&B several years ago. It is a retirement dream where we hope to balance the joys and work of a B&B with the other things we want to pursue. We just had a very short and not-so-busy season (starting at the end of August) and are looking forward to next spring. So far, so good and no PITA's or DNB types. Although, I have to say, I am looking forward to seeing how I will react!
As we were setting up, the MOST important thing that we learned here was that there is no right way of doing so many of the aspects. It gave us freedom, knowing that there were so many different points of view about soap, pancake mixes, etc., you name it! It helped us make the right decisions for us.
By reading your stories I am sure that we will avoid all kinds of beginner mistakes. I really appreciate your stories. They make me chuckle! There is nothing like a good sense of humour.
Thanks to all.

Hello! its like I always say "we are all meant to be different! - otherwise we might as well go work for a chain!" different properties, styles, local regs - its all about individuality!

Thank you! Now that I have introduced myself, I can go hunt down that T.V. thread and add my two cents worth!

welcome.gif

Welcome - sorry to be late. I have been out of town at a Tourism Conference.

Welcome - sorry to be late. I have been out of town at a Tourism Conference..
No "sorry" necessary! The fact that you are taking time now just reinforces my ideas that this forum is a wonderfully warm place to be.

Twinkle, this thread reminds me of how grateful I was to find the forum when I was in the process of setting up. I start my 9th year in November and still learn. Lots of great people have made Innspiring into a great innkeeping resource. Oh, and welcome!

I found this forum when I was coming close to the end of my first year. I thought I was so smart--NOT!!
Invaluable experience here given freely with a free-for-all setting. I even enjoy the disagreements among 'family members' because you see two sides to an issue. Still learning here and nothing surprises me anymore.
Thanks to all that contribute and listen.
And welcome Twinkle! Not a hobby for us but definitely our transition into retirement. Will keep as busy as we need to in the coming years.

Welcome to the forum! Looks like we are on opposite ends of the inn keeping spectrum...you are just beginning and we are just winding down after 26 years. We have had a good long run with 2 suites in a 150 year-old house, with the addition of a cottage 10 years ago here in coastal New England. If you have energy and are not afraid of hard work you can make 2-rooms work for you without the headaches of hiring help!
I don't know where you are located or what you market is but you will surely learn a lot from the fabulous innkeepers here who are on top of every aspect of the business.

One of the things that is evident on this forum, as Innkeep pointed out, everyone is excited about learning new things and that gives a special feeling to the forum.
Invaluable is right on, 2cat_lady. Especially the different points of view. I get to mull things over and figure out where we stand. Plus I love how people respect the other points of views (if they want to stay on the forum!).
Wow, Silverspoon, you could probably write a book about everything you have seen. I am glad we won't need to hire help. During my career, I was lucky to get bathrooms, kitchen, bedding cleaned and changed. My mother thinks it's funny that I am having SO much fun doing the housework. I'm hoping that feeling lasts a loooooong time!

One of the things that is evident on this forum, as Innkeep pointed out, everyone is excited about learning new things and that gives a special feeling to the forum.
Invaluable is right on, 2cat_lady. Especially the different points of view. I get to mull things over and figure out where we stand. Plus I love how people respect the other points of views (if they want to stay on the forum!).
Wow, Silverspoon, you could probably write a book about everything you have seen. I am glad we won't need to hire help. During my career, I was lucky to get bathrooms, kitchen, bedding cleaned and changed. My mother thinks it's funny that I am having SO much fun doing the housework. I'm hoping that feeling lasts a loooooong time!.
My mother thinks it's funny that I am having SO much fun doing the housework. I'm hoping that feeling lasts a loooooong time!
I have freely admitted for years that my Mother is in her grave on rotate with laughter that I am now in a business that requires me to clean house.

Wow, Silverspoon, you could probably write a book about everything you have seen. I am glad we won't need to hire help. During my career, I was lucky to get bathrooms, kitchen, bedding cleaned and changed. My mother thinks it's funny that I am having SO much fun doing the housework. I'm hoping that feeling lasts a loooooong time!.
My mother thinks it's funny that I am having SO much fun doing the housework. I'm hoping that feeling lasts a loooooong time!
I have freely admitted for years that my Mother is in her grave on rotate with laughter that I am now in a business that requires me to clean house.
regular_smile.gif

Welcome to the forum! Best of luck with your innkeeping endeavors!.
Thanks, Samster! I am awaiting our first late (i.e., evening) check in (due to flight arrival time). YAWN! I am staying awake by being innspired! I'll have to go reread that thread on self check-ins! Zzzz.....

Latest posts

Back