Is anyone NORMAL anymore?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little late to the game, but just an FYI. Many people who can't eat "gluten" have celiac. My SIL has that, and although she's tall and thin, if she breaks the diet her stomach swells and she looks 8 months pregnant - very painful. She can rarely eat 'safely' without running an inquiry with the cook. For example, it's not only wheat, but nitrates (bacon), most cheeses, some icing sugar (!), etc. That being said, she's a reasonable person and when she travels she brings her own food!!!.
Yes, it is these kinds of people with REAL issues.... innkeepers NEED to know about in advance. And if that severe, most travel with their own food like you said because they don't want to take any chances.

A little late to the game, but just an FYI. Many people who can't eat "gluten" have celiac. My SIL has that, and although she's tall and thin, if she breaks the diet her stomach swells and she looks 8 months pregnant - very painful. She can rarely eat 'safely' without running an inquiry with the cook. For example, it's not only wheat, but nitrates (bacon), most cheeses, some icing sugar (!), etc. That being said, she's a reasonable person and when she travels she brings her own food!!!.
Most of my past gluten guests have brought their own food (at least some of it). This one stated: I have a gluten allergy and cannot have wheat, oats, barely or rye but I can have buckwheat, corn, rice, dairy, eggs and all other foods. - I will assume by clearing the 'all other foods' that bacon and cheese are ok. I usually only add cheese to eggs after asking so it is also easy to hold the cheese.

Most of my past gluten guests have brought their own food (at least some of it). This one stated: I have a gluten allergy and cannot have wheat, oats, barely or rye but I can have buckwheat, corn, rice, dairy, eggs and all other foods. - I will assume by clearing the 'all other foods' that bacon and cheese are ok. I usually only add cheese to eggs after asking so it is also easy to hold the cheese.
I have several friends who have been found to have gluten intolerance. I had no idea how many things have wheat gluten in them. :-( It's really tough for them sometimes!
The easiest special diet I had for breakfast was a raw diet. Had a guest who was trying to manage a medical condition by trying that next. I don't think we can assume that some diets are just preferences as people are trying different options to either avoid more medications or trying new things as a last resort. We can just try our best for them and I think they'll appreciate our efforts.

I really appreciate it when people outline both what they can and cannot eat. It even says this in our "Special Needs" section of the online reservation form. It just helps you prepare something they might actually eat.
Oh, and finally found a way to cook turkey bacon that it was edible (to me)...put a cast iron frying pain in a 475 degree oven for 5 minutes. Preheat a stovetop burner to medium high (if you have electric like me, gas you can turn it on just before). After 5 minutes pull frying pan out of oven, put on pre-warmed burner and add a tsp of olive oil. It will spread out quickly in the hot pan, add bacon and fry 2-3 minutes per side. It gets nice and crispy without being dry.

Back