Is it worth it?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

April

Reaction score
Have been thinking for some time - bed an breakfast dot com is coming for renewal. We have drooped almost all paid directories and I see less and less value in this one. Hard to say how many reservations really came from them - had 89 listing views and 25 web clicks in December. Any thoughts?

Each B & B has to make that decision for themselves. Many think it brings them a lot of business. I decided years ago they were not worth it to me and waved goodbye. I have never regretted it - BUT that was for my 3-guestroom B & B in Podunk. The fact you are even considering waving goodbye speaks volumes.
What works for me, may not work for you but here is what I do. I have listings on interest specific web sites - horses, rail-trail, motorcycles as well as the CVB on the other end of my rail-trail (not in my county) and as many other FREE places that are associated with what I do - not just willy-nilly at all. I link to and they link to me. I place ads in interest specific magazines only. I have developed a relationship with the ad person of my major motorcycle magazine - by placing ads over the years - putting together group ads a few times, and when she needs a certificate for a prize, I send (the ONLY one I do this for). This year I sent one as soon as I say something about the event - before she even asked and that helps both of us. She will tell me when there is a focus that is a fit for me to get a paragraph or two. SHE clued me in to a focus for an issue that I did an article for that got me a great spread.
I do still retain one directory as my "shotgun" marketing. Think "I shot an arrow in the air and it landed, I know not where". That is the directory - it is there to find the odd search. I use the one that is the least expensive of the big 4, still owned by an individual. It works for me. My annual revenue would not pay the taxes for some of the innmates - but it works for me. Of course, each year I try to better the previous and will until I quit. I want to turn a good property over to the next innkeeper and that means I must keep trying to be better (smarter, not paying my "profit" out to all the hands grasping for it).

Do you have it setup in Google analytics with eCommerce to show where your bookings come from? How about Intell-a-Keeper? I have these setup on my GA account and I can see exactly where each booking is coming from. I can also see when I run a PPC campaign which words brought in the business so I can analyze which work and which don't. The GA setup doesn't cost much to setup if you can add code to your website or your webmaster can do that for you for not much. Just looking at my bed brkfst referral traffic for 3 months shows over $2500 - a keeper for me. Really good data to have.

We are dropping them. They have given us nothing. I think it's the market. Theirs is travelers who like a B&B experience wherever they go. Our market is tourists who stay wherever there is an open room.

Mtn Keeper gave some of the best advice, GA will give you the needed information to decide for yourself if the listing is doing its job. Without tracking information you are not sure how many of those 25 website clicks in Dec. booked or will come back to book.

They do provide the best link love in the industry and they know it, like TA they know how to run their business to make money (for themselves). They each know how to spin the stats to give themselves the edge. Only by arming yourself with factual information such as through GA can educate yourself to know where your marketing dollar is working on your behalf.

We have gotten rid of every online directory over the years EXCEPT for bed and breakfast dot com. We think they are horrible, overpriced and non-responsive.
So, why do we keep them? Because ever other area bnb has stopped taking their gift cards, even the ones that still advertise with them will not take their gift cards, but we do. This meant thousands of dollars in business last year because we are the only game in town if someone is stuck with a BnB dot com GC. It is also largely based on the kindness of our fellow innkeepers in town who refer guests stuck with gift cards to us regularly. But if that wasn't the case we would be gone in a heart beat.

I wouldn't renew if you're not getting any reservations from it. But, I would consider allocating that money towards strengthening your organic rankings on Google. Some properties have benefited from a solid PPC campaign.

Back