Is lobster vegan?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
Guests arrived and told us they are vegan. (Sure wish we'd known that when we made the quiche for them this morning, but we bend.)
Ok. Are pancakes ok if there is no milk in the mix? Sure. Great.
"Oh, btw, where can we get lobsters for dinner?"
Ok.

sure ... if they're talking lobster mushrooms that I've heard taste like lobster. or maybe they can get a tofu lobster. urgh. LOL

Ha, ha! And guests wonder why we find it hard to honor their dietary quirks.
We've found lactose intolerant guests love the clam chowder.

"Oh, sorry, the vegan lobster shack is closed for the winter."

Often get guest who say they eat healthy and want " Egg Beaters , Almond milk etc. " I guess they cant read labels ?
Just go with the flow here , but still only serve real food , no dead food here. 13 1/2 years and still enjoying it all !

Maybe they are only "vegan" with respect to vertebrate animals; invertebrates are OK (with their version of veganism)?

having a Vegan sister - guarantee they arn't - anything that has moved about under its own steam previously is a no no - some don't even eat Honey as an animal product or the super strict ones don't even eat some types of root vegetables incase bugs are hurt digging them out. (ie ones with tops you can pull are ok - ones you have to actively dig up are a no) fortunately they are very rare! (the super strickt not the vege's)

Lobsters are not. If you don't eat meat because of cruelty to animals, lobsters are a big no, no! They are cooked alive since they turn poisonous when they are dead. At least that was what I was told when I first saw them being cooked as the cook is whacking them as they try to crawl up the sides of the pot.

Absolutely not vegan -- the poor little lobster is being murdered for their enjoyment!!!! Seriously, vegans that have stayed with us don't want any dairy or even honey (although the cow or bee isn't being killed to provide it). They'd prefer maple syrup or agave nectar for the sweetener. Remember these are not just vegetarians they take it to the extreme. This is exactly why people don't want to accommodate food requirements because they are so easily tossed away by the guests when they DECIDE the they really want something because it's yummy. I've had self professed celiacs go out for pizza where they don't offer a GF version and those requiring special milk options because they are lactose intolerant come back and tell me how they loved the cheesecake at a local restaurant which I can know for a fact is loaded with dairy. Beyond irritating to innkeepers and chefs of all levels.

These two were interesting. Very nice to talk to. But left 6 or 8 pizza stains on the bedspread. Vegan (supposedly) but not what you'd call healthy eaters. Besides the pizza, they ate 12 pancakes! I put out 12 to make it look generous. I didn't expect two people to eat all 12. No fruit. They did eat some instant oatmeal.
I assume 'vegan' to be a healthy diet. So we put out strawberries, apples and apple sauce. They only ate the pancakes.
I can never predict! :)

These two were interesting. Very nice to talk to. But left 6 or 8 pizza stains on the bedspread. Vegan (supposedly) but not what you'd call healthy eaters. Besides the pizza, they ate 12 pancakes! I put out 12 to make it look generous. I didn't expect two people to eat all 12. No fruit. They did eat some instant oatmeal.
I assume 'vegan' to be a healthy diet. So we put out strawberries, apples and apple sauce. They only ate the pancakes.
I can never predict! :).
Cheese pizza???

Cheese pizza???
Morticia said:
Cheese pizza???
I know, right?

My mom would say, "Well, they say it takes all kinds of people to make the world go around."

Just going to throw out my guess here that they are vegetarian --- ovo lacto so they can eat dairy ... or trying to be. But not vegan

Just going to throw out my guess here that they are vegetarian --- ovo lacto so they can eat dairy ... or trying to be. But not vegan.
seashanty said:
Just going to throw out my guess here that they are vegetarian --- ovo lacto so they can eat dairy ... or trying to be. But not vegan
They specifically told us no milk, butter, eggs or cheese for breakfast. I think they are more of the band-wagonian type.

Just going to throw out my guess here that they are vegetarian --- ovo lacto so they can eat dairy ... or trying to be. But not vegan.
seashanty said:
They specifically told us no milk, butter, eggs or cheese for breakfast. I think they are more of the band-wagonian type.
I bet they just wanted to force you into making a sweet breakfast rather than a savory breakfast with eggs as the main ingredient. They sure did scarf down those pancakes!
tounge_smile.gif

Although I like to think of myself as a Obligate Carnivore, more specifically an Obligate Filet-Mignon-ivore, I am perfectly willing to be sensitive to guest needs--whether sincere or pretentious. So, since this thread started with "are lobsters suitable for vegans" (um, no, never, haha), perhaps this will be of some assistance when decoding the needs of guests:
Actual "Vegetarian" Variants:
  • Vegan: Vegans do not consume any animal products or by-products. Vegans do not consume red or white meat, fish or fowl. They also do not consume eggs and dairy. Vegans do not use honey or beeswax, gelatin and any other animal by-product ingredients or products. Vegans typically do not use animal products such as silk, leather and wool, as well. These guests will likely be VERY picky-- or VERY poser. :) When a "sincere" Vegan is present, it may be advisable to avoid the "aroma" of animal products, if possible--so as to spare yourself commentary.
  • Lacto Vegetarian: Lacto-vegetarians do not eat red or white meat, fish, fowl or eggs. However, lacto-vegetarians do consume dairy products such as cheese, milk and yogurt.
  • Ovo Vegetarian: Ovo-vegetarians do not eat red or white meat, fish, fowl or dairy products. However, ovo-vegetarians do consume egg products.
  • Lacto-ovo Vegetarian: Lacto-ovo vegetarians do not consume red meat, white meat, fish or fowl. However, lacto-ovo vegetarians do consume dairy products and egg products. This is the most common type of vegetarian.
Not really, but go with it... "Semi-Vegetarian / Flexitarian" Variants:
  • Pescatarian (Pescetarian): While technically not a type of vegetarian, these individuals do restrict their meat consumption to fish and seafood only. Pescatarians do not consume red meat, white meat or fowl. This is often considered a “semi-vegetarian” or “flexitarian” diet.
  • Pollotarian: Much like the pescatarian, this “semi-vegetarian” diet restricts meat consumption to poultry and fowl only. Pollotarians do not consume red meat or fish and seafood.
  • Flexitarian – A plant-based diet with the occasional meat item on the menu. These folks do their best to limit meat intake as much as possible and they have an almost entirely plant-based diet. This is not technically considered a “vegetarian” diet, but "the guest is always right."

Although I like to think of myself as a Obligate Carnivore, more specifically an Obligate Filet-Mignon-ivore, I am perfectly willing to be sensitive to guest needs--whether sincere or pretentious. So, since this thread started with "are lobsters suitable for vegans" (um, no, never, haha), perhaps this will be of some assistance when decoding the needs of guests:
  • Vegan: Vegans do not consume any animal products or by-products. Vegans do not consume red or white meat, fish or fowl. They also do not consume eggs and dairy. Vegans do not use honey or beeswax, gelatin and any other animal by-product ingredients or products. Vegans typically do not use animal products such as silk, leather and wool, as well. These guests will likely be VERY picky-- or VERY poser. :) When a "sincere" Vegan is present, it may be advisable to avoid the "aroma" of animal products, if possible--so as to spare yourself commentary.
  • Lacto Vegetarian: Lacto-vegetarians do not eat red or white meat, fish, fowl or eggs. However, lacto-vegetarians do consume dairy products such as cheese, milk and yogurt.
  • Ovo Vegetarian: Ovo-vegetarians do not eat red or white meat, fish, fowl or dairy products. However, ovo-vegetarians do consume egg products.
  • Lacto-ovo Vegetarian: Lacto-ovo vegetarians do not consume red meat, white meat, fish or fowl. However, lacto-ovo vegetarians do consume dairy products and egg products. This is the most common type of vegetarian.
  • Pescatarian (Pescetarian): While technically not a type of vegetarian, these individuals do restrict their meat consumption to fish and seafood only. Pescatarians do not consume red meat, white meat or fowl. This is often considered a “semi-vegetarian” or “flexitarian” diet.
  • Pollotarian: Much like the pescatarian, this “semi-vegetarian” diet restricts meat consumption to poultry and fowl only. Pollotarians do not consume red meat or fish and seafood.
  • Flexitarian – A plant-based diet with the occasional meat item on the menu. These folks do their best to limit meat intake as much as possible and they have an almost entirely plant-based diet. This is not technically considered a “vegetarian” diet, but "the guest is always right."
We take most guest food 'issues' with a grain of salt. If it's not an allergy we don't feel obligated to support it.
Last summer we had the perfect vegan. Filled our guest fridge completely full with her precious organic vegetables because she was sure there wouldn't be anything like that available in the hinterlands. Then asked for organic milk for breakfast.
Buzz off lady.
Do not dump your lifestyle on me while you pick and choose what meets your loose standard of 'vegan'. I made her an almost vegan breakfast but I did use non-vegan sugar. She had no choice, she got what we could make while serving 17 other guests their particular fad diet.
OTOH, we have two vegan ladies who return year after year for 3 nights. They love their breakfast and ask for the same thing every year and will eat it for three days running, if we can't come up with anything else.
This year we found completely vegan veggie burgers to serve as a side. They are serious. They pick and choose the restaurants that serve things they can eat and they never come back to tell me how wonderful the clam chowder was.
Thanks for the list. But most vegetarians break down when there's bacon for breakfast so we've allowed ourselves to ignore most diets.
But don't come here if you have celiac disease. We cannot meet that restriction.

Good list, left out "freetarian" though (my brother-in-law). But actually, the labels are not much help; you have to ask early -- on check-in -- if there are dietary requirements and state right away to what degree you will be able to accommodate them. Works here 'cause I do most check-ins and all breakfasts, so I can negotiate real time.

Latest posts

Back