Is my room ready?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had guests roll in early today and I greeted them waving a hanger in my hand. I said, had three rooms check out and we are still cleaning. I usually don't even answer but I was walking past the doors and they did the tap tap tap on the glass...

I had guests roll in early today and I greeted them waving a hanger in my hand. I said, had three rooms check out and we are still cleaning. I usually don't even answer but I was walking past the doors and they did the tap tap tap on the glass....
Joey Bloggs said:
I had guests roll in early today and I greeted them waving a hanger in my hand. I said, had three rooms check out and we are still cleaning. I usually don't even answer but I was walking past the doors and they did the tap tap tap on the glass...
This makes me think that maybe it would not be a bad thing if they saw a mound of sheets when they look through the glass. And then say, sorry my cleaning fairy took today off, but I promise to have your room ready by check-in time. (of course through the locked door!)

I had guests roll in early today and I greeted them waving a hanger in my hand. I said, had three rooms check out and we are still cleaning. I usually don't even answer but I was walking past the doors and they did the tap tap tap on the glass....
Joey Bloggs said:
This makes me think that maybe it would not be a bad thing if they saw a mound of sheets when they look through the glass. And then say, sorry my cleaning fairy took today off, but I promise to have your room ready by check-in time. (of course through the locked door!)
copperhead said:
...of course through the locked door!
That was another forum topic. ALWAYS lock guest room doors especially if you have just cleaned them.

Depending on how big of a mess the previous guest left, DW and I can flip a room in 45 mins to an hour. Sometimes there is carpet to be spot cleaned and paint scuffs to retouch, but we usually can have a room ready by 12:30 IF the previous guests leave by 11:00. Our lovely guests this morning left by 9:45! Yay.
Sometime we'll have people rolling in about 2 pm. wanting to check-in early. That is the absolute earliest that we will allow check-in. We've had them show up earlier, but we send them packing. Our confirmation clearly states ABSOLUTELY NO EARLY CHECK-INS.
One guy came very early and wanted to know if he could fish our pond until it was time to check-in. Really? I told him that the pond was reserved for guests and that his time as a guest did not begin until 3 pm. He didn't get mad, because he knew dang well what our check-in time was.
Another tactic that works is to say "Sure, you can check-in early.....for an additional $50.00. They very quickly find something else to do..
Proud Texan said:
One guy came very early and wanted to know if he could fish our pond until it was time to check-in. Really? I told him that the pond was reserved for guests and that his time as a guest did not begin until 3 pm. He didn't get mad, because he knew dang well what our check-in time was.
The tatic our early ones use is - we just will relax by the pool. - Sorry folks! If I allowed that, they would be asking for beach towels, ice and then 'well if we can't check in, where can we change'. Giving an inch only leaves room for them demanding the mile.
What's the old saw about the camel sticking his nose into the tent? Same goes for early arrivals.
If you want to seet he camel, come here. I will introduce you. We are no longer "Buds" since I discovered I am allergic to him but we do say hello....

Joey Bloggs said:
copperhead said:
Joey Bloggs said:
The mound of laundry does not faze them at all, take my word for it. They all say, 'Oh, we understand, we'll just go to our room and get out of your way.' NOT what I meant... I took the 10:30 walk-in today and told them to come back at noon as the room would be done by then. Guests aren't growing on trees around here this summer.

Joey Bloggs said:
copperhead said:
That was another forum topic. ALWAYS lock guest room doors especially if you have just cleaned them.
I was very surprised that a place we just stayed in left the room keys in the doors. AND, they did not have a key pad lock for the guest entrance. Gave you a key and said that it was unlocked until around 9 PM at which time you needed to use the outside door key to get in. My dh almost put his foot in his mouth and was going to launch into his lecture about locking the guest rooms and the benefits of a key pad lock. I had to kick him under the table. If they've been in business awhile and it seems to work for them....
Although we did see some other guests snooping in the one room that wasn't occupied...I was tempted to mention an innkeeper's story from this forum about room interlopers.

Joey Bloggs said:
copperhead said:
I was very surprised that a place we just stayed in left the room keys in the doors. AND, they did not have a key pad lock for the guest entrance. Gave you a key and said that it was unlocked until around 9 PM at which time you needed to use the outside door key to get in. My dh almost put his foot in his mouth and was going to launch into his lecture about locking the guest rooms and the benefits of a key pad lock. I had to kick him under the table. If they've been in business awhile and it seems to work for them....
Although we did see some other guests snooping in the one room that wasn't occupied...I was tempted to mention an innkeeper's story from this forum about room interlopers.
Samster said:
We leave the keys in the doors of vacant rooms, and have NEVER had a problem with guests using a vacant room..although they are welcome to check them out. Our guest entrance is kept locked at pretty much all times...guests have a key for it, we don't use a keypad. The front door also has a deadbolt that I use when we have no guests in house....I'm the only one with a key to that.

Joey Bloggs said:
copperhead said:
Samster said:
We leave the keys in the doors of vacant rooms, and have NEVER had a problem with guests using a vacant room..although they are welcome to check them out. Our guest entrance is kept locked at pretty much all times...guests have a key for it, we don't use a keypad. The front door also has a deadbolt that I use when we have no guests in house....I'm the only one with a key to that.
Well, that's why I kicked my husband under the table since there are innkeepers that haven't had a problem. But then there are the stories here about the used bathrooms and the honeymooners that tried every bed in vacant rooms. I kept our guest room doors locked and the key pad entry systems for both houses worked out great. I even had a few guests that stashed their room keys in a hiding place next door so that they didn't have to carry any key with them at all. :) Worked for them...

I had some old dude using the toilet in another room.
I had another dude using a shower in another guest room.
I had, yes it twas me, the honeymooners from Anchorage AK use every guest bed. I, being the trusting nice and sweet innkeeper that I am, thought they were just looking at the other rooms til I heard the bed springs going over this room here.
I ...well wait, I won't go into that story... It happens...

I had the person with serious d'rhea use another guest room, this happened THIS YEAR. I was FUMING!! Left it there too.

We have had people return after checkout & go back into their old room & use the bathroom (when we left it unlocked-our error!).
I like the replies to the early checkin. We used to stop what we were doing & let folks in as soon as the room was ready & they were there, however, they'd take extra showers, get the a/c going & camp in there, start having many, many questions & requests (while we were still trying to clean). so we've stopped.

Our two single rooms have private bathrooms which are separate (along the hall) and my chamber maid caught the lady from room 6 using the bathroom of room 5 as he had left it open she had just cleaned it so was really cross as she had to do it again so the chap wouldn't think it hadn't been done! she came and checked which room that lady was in and I knew she was just too lazy to go upstairs to her bathroom for the toilet but room 5 could have just walked in on her when she was on the toilet as he had the key! She was a complete PITA she comes for an event and I have put her name next to it she won't be staying again!

We have had people return after checkout & go back into their old room & use the bathroom (when we left it unlocked-our error!).
I like the replies to the early checkin. We used to stop what we were doing & let folks in as soon as the room was ready & they were there, however, they'd take extra showers, get the a/c going & camp in there, start having many, many questions & requests (while we were still trying to clean). so we've stopped..
SORRY...the front door is locked when the last guest leaves...no one gets back in until check in time.

Back