Is wondering where Swirt got the cabins?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTLLodge

Reaction score
Just wondering where you got the cabins, we are thinking of doing cabins also. And of course any input you would like to add. They are cutting my hours at work BIG time so now it's full speed ahead with the B&B.
wink_smile.gif

We got them from www.conestogalogcabins.com in Lebanon PA. They make a number of kits and really do a nice job with them. They were a great company for us to work with.
The only catch is that they don't meet insulation requirements for year round occupancy in NY state. (I can't remember where you are located). In NYS they can only get Year round permit if they are heated with a wood stove ... which I would never advise for guests (too many people with no experience or common sense). We heat ours with propane stoves which only grants us seasonal occupancy, which is fine for what we planned to do.

We got them from www.conestogalogcabins.com in Lebanon PA. They make a number of kits and really do a nice job with them. They were a great company for us to work with.
The only catch is that they don't meet insulation requirements for year round occupancy in NY state. (I can't remember where you are located). In NYS they can only get Year round permit if they are heated with a wood stove ... which I would never advise for guests (too many people with no experience or common sense). We heat ours with propane stoves which only grants us seasonal occupancy, which is fine for what we planned to do..
Thanks! We are in Missouri. I was telling Hubby about your set up and I really think this is the way we want to go.

MTL Lodge when you are ready to open can we all crash your place and see it? I have not been to MO yet. "Innkeeper road trip"
tounge_smile.gif

If you want to move, this place is for sale in NY. www catharinecottages com ;) They started the same year we did in 2003.
They used the same cabins company although theirs are the next size up from ours....actually on the conestoga website I noticed that they no longer make the size cabin we bought.
Side note about innkeeping that I've mentioned before. Turnover rates are high. Of the original group of inns on this lake that were up and running when we started in 2003 there are only 2 out of the ~20 that have not sold, closed, or listed their place for sale. We are now one of the 2 that have been doing it the longest and we've only been at it 6 years.
sad_smile.gif

If you want to move, this place is for sale in NY. www catharinecottages com ;) They started the same year we did in 2003.
They used the same cabins company although theirs are the next size up from ours....actually on the conestoga website I noticed that they no longer make the size cabin we bought.
Side note about innkeeping that I've mentioned before. Turnover rates are high. Of the original group of inns on this lake that were up and running when we started in 2003 there are only 2 out of the ~20 that have not sold, closed, or listed their place for sale. We are now one of the 2 that have been doing it the longest and we've only been at it 6 years.
sad_smile.gif
Yes, things have turned over here in our area as well. I think there are only 2 of the original owners left when we came here in 2000.

The only catch is that they don't meet insulation requirements for year round occupancy in NY state. (I can't remember where you are located). In NYS they can only get Year round permit if they are heated with a wood stove ... which I would never advise for guests (too many people with no experience or common sense). We heat ours with propane stoves which only grants us seasonal occupancy, which is fine for what we planned to do..
I am all for learning from other people's mistakes. In regard to the cabins: Is there anything that you did that you wished you wouldn't have done. Anything you didn't do that you now wished you would've done?

I am all for learning from other people's mistakes. In regard to the cabins: Is there anything that you did that you wished you wouldn't have done. Anything you didn't do that you now wished you would've done?
penelope said:
No major things. I wish I had more time in construction to make sure the interior log walls were sanded a little smoother before I polyurethaned them (they are rougher than I'd like). I'd have gone with the next size up cabins. I wish I'd have devised a way to get the hotwater tank out from inside the cabins (each cabin has its own). Minor stuff like that.

penelope said:
No major things. I wish I had more time in construction to make sure the interior log walls were sanded a little smoother before I polyurethaned them (they are rougher than I'd like). I'd have gone with the next size up cabins. I wish I'd have devised a way to get the hotwater tank out from inside the cabins (each cabin has its own). Minor stuff like that.
I can't recall if your cabins sit on a slab or are up from the ground with a crawl space? If built with a crawl space, there's a newer electric hot water heater model that can sit on its side. We are considering replacing one of ours with that type to get it out of the attic.

sad_smile.gif
Gee...I can't imagine why? haha! Although I don't want to scare the aspirings and prospective innkeepers as we've been accused of doing in the past with any stories of the hours that I've been putting in lately!
shades_smile.gif

penelope said:
I can't recall if your cabins sit on a slab or are up from the ground with a crawl space? If built with a crawl space, there's a newer electric hot water heater model that can sit on its side. We are considering replacing one of ours with that type to get it out of the attic.
Samster said:
Ours are up on pilings. If we weren't on well water, I'd have put in tankless heaters, but we were concerned that they would crud up with minerals too quickly....now they make them so the heat exchanger can be replaced when that happens, without having to replace the whole unit.

Back