Is your online reservations program daunting, sending guests away?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that there are sometimes too many steps involved. I think the designers of these systems where you get yet another chance to look at the other rooms that are open on the date you want are giving you a chance to re-think your selection of rooms. :) Might be a good marketing idea for some folks whereas for others of us it torques us off that it seems like another wasted step.
I will click a bunch of times if all the info is there about an inn as long as I don't have to re-type my information! Please don't make me have to call and leave a voice mail message. I will move on to the next place pronto.
Here is the thing I think we need to consider if we are getting a lot of phone calls nowadays vs. booking online - Is all the info there on the website so that folks can book without calling? Do I have good pictures of all my rooms, their bathrooms, common areas, and outdoor areas? Please don't make me call to find out about my room's bathroom. Please. (I know...I am a broken record on this subject.).
This is interesting as I just had 2 calls in a row- one caller was looking at a book (thanks to whoever said 'ask where they found you before you start') and the other was looking at the availability calendar, had her room picked out and wanted a AAA discount. (Maybe this is where the online booking discount would have worked, but why get paid less in season than you can?)
After I quoted the prices to the one with the book she said, 'I guess this book is old, I thought it would be less off season.' So, I asked what prices she had in the book and everything I quoted was right in that range, toward the lower end. She didn't want to pay for her kids. Because the prices she quoted said 'Rates for doubles' and she knew that meant for 2 people.
Morticia said:
...why get paid less in season than you can?
Build the discount into the rate...last July we had decided to increase our rates. We went $10 above what we were going to raise it to and then offered the $10/night discount. I know our set-ups aren't exactly the same Mort but I really think with your volume this would work for you. With our rates, $10/night ends up being a bigger discount than AAA would be.
I think we're at the peak of what we can ask in this economy with what we offer for amenities. Raising the rates just to offer the discount, I think, will turn off those people who look only at the price and never think to ask about a discount. When guests don't understand the pricing is mostly off season. They think the rates should be under $100 right now.
However, if I were going to offer the $10 off to book online, I would raise the rates to cover it. But I don't want to then spend time arguing with guests who want me to do the work, but they still get the discount!
Plus, given what you've said recently about being crazy busy already says something about our different markets. I could fit all of my guests for March into one weekend.

I agree that there are sometimes too many steps involved. I think the designers of these systems where you get yet another chance to look at the other rooms that are open on the date you want are giving you a chance to re-think your selection of rooms. :) Might be a good marketing idea for some folks whereas for others of us it torques us off that it seems like another wasted step.
I will click a bunch of times if all the info is there about an inn as long as I don't have to re-type my information! Please don't make me have to call and leave a voice mail message. I will move on to the next place pronto.
Here is the thing I think we need to consider if we are getting a lot of phone calls nowadays vs. booking online - Is all the info there on the website so that folks can book without calling? Do I have good pictures of all my rooms, their bathrooms, common areas, and outdoor areas? Please don't make me call to find out about my room's bathroom. Please. (I know...I am a broken record on this subject.).
This is interesting as I just had 2 calls in a row- one caller was looking at a book (thanks to whoever said 'ask where they found you before you start') and the other was looking at the availability calendar, had her room picked out and wanted a AAA discount. (Maybe this is where the online booking discount would have worked, but why get paid less in season than you can?)
After I quoted the prices to the one with the book she said, 'I guess this book is old, I thought it would be less off season.' So, I asked what prices she had in the book and everything I quoted was right in that range, toward the lower end. She didn't want to pay for her kids. Because the prices she quoted said 'Rates for doubles' and she knew that meant for 2 people.
Morticia said:
Build the discount into the rate...last July we had decided to increase our rates. We went $10 above what we were going to raise it to and then offered the $10/night discount. I know our set-ups aren't exactly the same Mort but I really think with your volume this would work for you. With our rates, $10/night ends up being a bigger discount than AAA would be.
I think we're at the peak of what we can ask in this economy with what we offer for amenities. Raising the rates just to offer the discount, I think, will turn off those people who look only at the price and never think to ask about a discount. When guests don't understand the pricing is mostly off season. They think the rates should be under $100 right now.
However, if I were going to offer the $10 off to book online, I would raise the rates to cover it. But I don't want to then spend time arguing with guests who want me to do the work, but they still get the discount!
Plus, given what you've said recently about being crazy busy already says something about our different markets. I could fit all of my guests for March into one weekend.
I understand. We were terrified to raise rates that much, but we haven't looked back. FYI though, our amenities are LESS than what you offer.
We don't spend ANY time arguing with anyone, you book it online you get the discount, you make me do the work you pay the higher rate. There's a very fine line between turning someone off and actually making them want to book with you MORE because you are very firm in your policies and you KNOW that what you offer is the best...

Morticia said:
I understand. We were terrified to raise rates that much, but we haven't looked back. FYI though, our amenities are LESS than what you offer.
We don't spend ANY time arguing with anyone, you book it online you get the discount, you make me do the work you pay the higher rate. There's a very fine line between turning someone off and actually making them want to book with you MORE because you are very firm in your policies and you KNOW that what you offer is the best...
Rupert said:
Location has a lot to do with it. For my location, I am not offering the higher end amenities that others are. I'm not low end, either, I'm 'just right.' But I can't charge what the other places do with all they offer. As an example...we have some busy weekends coming up in season. Once I reached the 1/2 way booking point, I raised the rates on the remaining rooms. Bookings screeched to a halt. They'll pick back up once other places start to fill up, too, but right now the $10 increase is too much.

Back