Job Offers New

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inntropical

Reaction score
This is my very first post here on this site, but I have been searching the internet trying to find other Innkeepers to ask questions and VOILA! So here goes my dilemma. I'm going to try to keep it short. I started Innkeeping last year, was very successful, position ended and took and Interim position and that was fine. Now,I've been out of work (New England area) since Christmas, and lot of crazy things have happened since. Right now I need to get back into an Inn and get working I accepted a job offer yesterday, honestly while I was at the airport and felt pressured. I actually told him I have an interview with another Inn because I never heard back from him. That didn't sit well, next thing I know I'm calling him back saying , I'll be there Sunday. Just didn't want to lose the job. UGH! Today, I'm still going to interview. I feel I have to follow through.Is this wrong? I feel I have been so jerked around by these inns, and so trusting, that now I feel I really need to look out for me. Bottom line. Open to all answers.
Thank you!

I am not sure how you can reneg if you indeed accepted the first job offer, at least not while still retaining your honor.
You don't know for sure that the second position will come through, it's just an interview. Although it might seem disingenuous to go to the second interview "knowing" that you have already accepted another job, I would probably still go as a learning experience.
And who knows, maybe the second job will be so fantastic that it would be worth losing your honor with the first in order to take it (assuming it gets offered to you).

Do what is right for you. Go to the interview. Make your decision later.
It's a short life with lots of ifs and changes. It is best not to lead the first inn on, but again, you have to live your life. If you reneg, send a heart felt note with a basket of flowers. We can't be everything to everyone.

Take what is at hand. Go to the second interview anyway. Keep your options open. If they call, you can tell them that you accepted a position while waiting to hear back from them and they can keep you on a short list if it doesn't work out. Don't burn bridges.

If you don't find what you are looking for, caretaking a motel has some similarities (checking in/out, registrations, managing breakfast area, cleaning, etc.)
You may find some inns or motels in various regions' Craigslist job area.

Thank you everyone for giving me your feedback/advice! This will definitely be my goto source of ref.
There is more to this situation than I have written. And I'm not making excuses but there are some things on the first Inn owners side that were red flags for me and I ignored them. I had sent him a thank you email the very next day. Two days later I heard from him saying he would be in touch later. He called, but NEVER offered the position to me, told me he was down to two candidates and still deciding. He knew that I would be gone for four days. After not hearing from him for almost a week I wrote and said I as very interested however, because I had not heard from him I was interviewing with others. Still, NEVER heard from him, then the day I'm heading home I receive 2 phone msg and quick email, stating he never saw my email. For 5 days you never saw my email? I returned his phone call from the airport. 1st mistake. Turns out he had been trying out another candidate and told me "they didn't work out". He was all upset that I was interviewing. Why? I asked. You put no offer on the table to me. Abruptly he says "you do what you have to do and I'll do what I have to do"
I say Ok. #2 mistake: I panic, call him back immediately say "I'll take the position"......Moral of the story, don't make snap decisions in an airport. I have beaten myself up for 2 days. UGH!
Interview went great at other Inn, it is much more my fit, so we'll see what happens.

Take what is at hand. Go to the second interview anyway. Keep your options open. If they call, you can tell them that you accepted a position while waiting to hear back from them and they can keep you on a short list if it doesn't work out. Don't burn bridges..
Great advice. I actually kept debating whether I should go to interview, and I'm really glad I did. The 2nd Inn is much more my fit. Not burning any bridges tho!
Thank you!

Do what is right for you. Go to the interview. Make your decision later.
It's a short life with lots of ifs and changes. It is best not to lead the first inn on, but again, you have to live your life. If you reneg, send a heart felt note with a basket of flowers. We can't be everything to everyone..
This was the reply that made me breathe in the interview. The interview went great so we'll see. I don't like leading the other inn on but I also don't want to burn that bridge until all is said and done. And the flowers are perfect.
Thank you so much. Life is short and I truly want the best for everyone.

I am not sure how you can reneg if you indeed accepted the first job offer, at least not while still retaining your honor.
You don't know for sure that the second position will come through, it's just an interview. Although it might seem disingenuous to go to the second interview "knowing" that you have already accepted another job, I would probably still go as a learning experience.
And who knows, maybe the second job will be so fantastic that it would be worth losing your honor with the first in order to take it (assuming it gets offered to you)..
Thank you for your reply. I know, I know. I've walked around for 2 days beating myself up. I did go on the interview and it went great, and it's a much better fit. I'll know in a couple of days. I'm glad I followed through, as I was on the fence about going.
No matter what, I learned a lot. At the airport when I called him back, my intuition told me not to call him back. Wait until I got home. But I always like to return calls, msgs., etc immediately. Lesson learned.

And who knows, maybe the second job will be so fantastic that it would be worth losing your honor with the first in order to take it (assuming it gets offered to you)..
Thank you for your reply. I know, I know. I've walked around for 2 days beating myself up. I did go on the interview and it went great, and it's a much better fit. I'll know in a couple of days. I'm glad I followed through, as I was on the fence about going.
No matter what, I learned a lot. At the airport when I called him back, my intuition told me not to call him back. Wait until I got home. But I always like to return calls, msgs., etc immediately. Lesson learned.
Listen to your intuition always and pray! Then sleep over it.

Thank you so much for your advice! I'm big on following my intuition which is why I was so upset with myself because my intuition told me at the airport not to call him back right then. I ignored it :(
Anyhow, I followed through with 2nd inn and I love it and the fit is me, love the energy there......just waiting to hear from them now. And I prayed on it.

Thank you so much for your advice! I'm big on following my intuition which is why I was so upset with myself because my intuition told me at the airport not to call him back right then. I ignored it :(
Anyhow, I followed through with 2nd inn and I love it and the fit is me, love the energy there......just waiting to hear from them now. And I prayed on it.
Hope it works out for you! Also did you see the thread here of a person looking to place an ad for an innkeeper?

Hope it works out for you! Also did you see the thread here of a person looking to place an ad for an innkeeper?
Thank you! Yes I saw that thread. I think I'm going to 'rest' and wait to hear from the inn I'm believing is a perfect fit for me. Otherwise I'll get too scattered. And I think that's what got me into this pickle.

So I am wondering what is the protocol for waiting for answer from an inn after you've interviewed. It's been 3 days since my interview at (the inn that I'm in love with) and it's noon here, is it ok for me to reach out to them to see if they've made a decision?

So I am wondering what is the protocol for waiting for answer from an inn after you've interviewed. It's been 3 days since my interview at (the inn that I'm in love with) and it's noon here, is it ok for me to reach out to them to see if they've made a decision?.
what did they tell you to expect a the interview?

So I am wondering what is the protocol for waiting for answer from an inn after you've interviewed. It's been 3 days since my interview at (the inn that I'm in love with) and it's noon here, is it ok for me to reach out to them to see if they've made a decision?.
They told me they'd let me know in a couple of days

Call and say you are checking in. Don't pressure them.

So just call and say just wanted to touch base and let you know I'm still very interested in position? I definitely don't want to pressure them...

So just call and say just wanted to touch base and let you know I'm still very interested in position? I definitely don't want to pressure them...
Intuition is telling me give them a little more time today, it is the beginning of the weekend, and then I'll check in with them if I haven't heard by later this afternoon.
Thank you everyone for advice :)

Intuition is telling me give them a little more time today, it is the beginning of the weekend, and then I'll check in with them if I haven't heard by later this afternoon.
Thank you everyone for advice :)
At least you have that much sense - if I had a pound for every idiot who rings to ask a million questions during breakfast or between 5 and 7pm on a Friday ie peak times to be dealing with guests I would be rich! if they are busy for the weekend they won't make a decision before 5pm on sunday when they have time to have a brain!

Latest posts

Back