Just a great Big Thank You!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anything more I should be thinking about?
Yep. How on Earth are you ever going to pay for all this and recover the costs? The margin for most B&Bs are not that large. 2 viking ovens one viking stove and a viking fridge? ... for 5 guest rooms.....you literally could go 3 or more years before the B&B even begins to pay the cost of those puppies.
There is a caveat to building a new huge, has everything B&B....and that is that very likely you will sell it in under 10 years (its just the typical timeline for a B&B) If you overbuild it, you will never be able to sell it because it is too big to be just a house, and too expensive to be a B&B... the income has to balance the expense or the bank will never finance the purchase..
swirt said:
There is a caveat ... the income has to balance the expense or the bank will never finance the purchase.
Point well taken and noted. This may not work for us. That's why we are doing it all on paper first. I have learned a few lessons about business in 50 plus years of working, too. i certainly agree Viking high end appliances are expensive, in fact quality is expensive. The question is, "Is the expense cost effective?" Does a Amish distressed hardwood cherry floor last long enough and be of low enough maintence to be worth the extra cost? Radiant tile bathrooms? A built in vaccuum system? Or should you go cheap and replace often? Or buy a Hoover and use all those extra plug-ins?
You ALL are absolutely right.....it boils down to income. Higher than average occupancy and higher than average rates. And your plan and design had better be able to insure the first and command the later.
All of your replies are "Golden". Thanks!

So here we are so far:
(Remember this is a wish list. All items may not make into final design)
Design Features Check List
General:
  1. Sound system throughout (part of theme)
  2. tricked out finish work (part of theme)
  3. Nooks for artwork, quilts, etc. inc. special lighting
  4. Universal design (ADA), does not add a great deal to building cost
  5. Lots of electrical outlets
  6. Go as “green” as possible
  7. electric wheelchair re-charger
  8. Try for “non-flammable” to avoid possible sprinkler requirement

Large Guest Rooms (4):
  1. King bed
  2. (2) comfy chairs or love seat
  3. writing desk/table
  4. large closet w/ built in ironing board
  5. Flat screen TV, DVD player, clock, various chargers
  6. WiFi and/or CAT5
  7. full length mirror
  8. mood lighting , lamps
  9. sound mitigation
  10. flowers
  11. Openable windows, French doors
  12. HVAC controls

Private Bathrooms for each Suite:
  1. Large Shower w/ seat & shower shelves in corners
  2. Plenty of shelf spaces for shave kits, curling irons, contract lens solution, brushes, etc.
  3. Whirlpool tub? Outside on individual patios?
  4. Robes
  5. Our monogrammed linens
  6. ESA Toiletries, hair blow dryer
  7. Radiant tile floor heating?
  8. Personal shower heads

Common Area (Great Room):
  1. Enough room and seating for all guests, there would be eight
  2. Library (books, Farming Game, DVD’s)
  3. Powder Room somewhere
  4. Fireplace and some wood storage, could be gas but real wood is higher end

Common Area (Kitchen):
  1. Coffee/tea bar (self serve)
  2. Microwave and counter
  3. Refrigerator
  4. Bar sink or regular sink
  5. Access to plenty of ice

Common Area (Dining):
  1. Oval table for 10
  2. May have to fit grand piano in this area (inheritance...been moving it around for ages)

Common Area (Garages/Parking):
  1. Some guest storage for bikes, skateboards, skis, etc. (area features)
  2. (2) Garages, room for 2 cars in ea. Garage, 1 car per guest
  3. Additional space outside
  4. Innkeeper’s private entrance/private 2 car garage

Common Area (Grounds)
  1. Outside seating on individual porches
  2. a few benches around pond and walk ways

Pantry (very near our garage):
  1. Wine rack
  2. Lots of storage
  3. dumbwaiter to upstairs or more than likely an elevator

Office/Reception Desk:
  1. May have to include our regular design office here
  2. Computer Racks
  3. Electronics

Laundry & Linen:
  1. Lots of shelves
  2. Laundry counter space folding area
  3. Laundry Sink
  4. Good washer & Dryer
  5. Cleaning cart and supplies
  6. Broom closet

Chef’s Working Kitchen:
  1. (2) Wolf/Viking Ovens
  2. Wolf/Viking gas range (the big one)
  3. good prep center
  4. Large Viking Refrigerator
  5. Matching Freezer
  6. Matching dishwasher
  7. Elegant dish storage area

Anything more I should be thinking about?

Thanks for your replies. I've gone back and added a few notes to the Wish List. Much will be explained when we get the design done, the location announced and the why and wherefore's told. Be patient....all will be revealed.
regular_smile.gif
I've added more to my profile to let you know some of my background. Thanks again for all your input. We truely appreciate it.

Barliman said:
Fireplace and some wood storage
This is one I'd think long and hard about. I don't have any solid percentages but it seems to me that a good many people are idiots when it comes to fire and have no idea how to build one and make it go safely. SOme are great and knowledgeable, but it only takes one idiot to smoke up the joint or throw garbage in your fire that stinks up the house or builds up your chimney with crud that shouldn't be there.
If it is to be guest run, I would make it a gas burner set. Less work, less risk.

Thanks for your replies. I've gone back and added a few notes to the Wish List. Much will be explained when we get the design done, the location announced and the why and wherefore's told. Be patient....all will be revealed.
regular_smile.gif
I've added more to my profile to let you know some of my background. Thanks again for all your input. We truely appreciate it..
You might have already crunched the numbers, but just in case, here is a planning spreadsheet to help you ballpark income based on cost and possible occupancy rates.
https://www.innspiring.com/resources/aspiring-innkeeper-info/bed-and-breakfast-planning-worksheet

Barliman said:
This is one I'd think long and hard about. I don't have any solid percentages but it seems to me that a good many people are idiots when it comes to fire and have no idea how to build one and make it go safely. SOme are great and knowledgeable, but it only takes one idiot to smoke up the joint or throw garbage in your fire that stinks up the house or builds up your chimney with crud that shouldn't be there.
If it is to be guest run, I would make it a gas burner set. Less work, less risk..
Electric is probably even better and safer - no gas to have the flame go out and no flame for them of be involved with or near. Just flip the switch.

Barliman said:
If it is to be guest run, I would make it a gas burner set. Less work, less risk..
Electric is probably even better and safer - no gas to have the flame go out and no flame for them of be involved with or near. Just flip the switch.
Gas behind glass is a good idea .... keeps idiots from throwing their kleenex in there just to see it burn.
Flame blowing out it not really a big deal with all of the new designs. They all have the same kind of safety. No flame means no heat, no heat means no electricity is generated by the stove, no electricity generated means nothing to hold the gas valve open. It is a very safe system. A bigger worry beyond that would be idiots touching the glass (which gets blisteringly hot). Maybe a sign like "Warning: Don't lick the glass, it's blazing hot." would get a chuckle out of people :)

Barliman said:
Gas behind glass is a good idea .... keeps idiots from throwing their kleenex in there just to see it burn.
Flame blowing out it not really a big deal with all of the new designs. They all have the same kind of safety. No flame means no heat, no heat means no electricity is generated by the stove, no electricity generated means nothing to hold the gas valve open. It is a very safe system. A bigger worry beyond that would be idiots touching the glass (which gets blisteringly hot). Maybe a sign like "Warning: Don't lick the glass, it's blazing hot." would get a chuckle out of people :)
We have the ones with the doors that open/close with the glass behind the doors. Yes, the fireplace itself gets hot as I have found when I am cleaning after a guest is gone!

regular_smile.gif
I've added more to my profile to let you know some of my background. Thanks again for all your input. We truely appreciate it..
You might have already crunched the numbers, but just in case, here is a planning spreadsheet to help you ballpark income based on cost and possible occupancy rates.
https://www.innspiring.com/resources/aspiring-innkeeper-info/bed-and-breakfast-planning-worksheet
Thanks! This will be fun....or not.
Oh...it is fun.....I get to raise my rates!

Back