Just Curious

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BananaE29

Reaction score
Just finished up freshening a room that had a gun on the nightstand. I've seen this a few times over the years - even had someone forget theirs in the nightstand drawer (I would forget my spouse before I forgot my gun - geez!). It doesn't bother me in the least, but am a little surprised when they leave it out and unsecured, because most don't realize that I (not a housekeeper) am the one that freshens the room. They have no idea who is walking in there and are taking a big chance. I don't imagine they would ever consider doing this in a hotel.

Just curious if this would bother any of you, and if so, what would you do, if anything?

IN the UK it is illegal not to secure your gun - I would not be happy.

We've had it twice. Once it was between their pillows. I nearly went nuts on that one...not because they had a gun, but because it was stored so unsafely.

It must also be secured here. I would tell them I am unhappy to find an unsecured weapon. IF they decided to leave it in the room, it should have a trigger lock at a minimum.
No problem with it being there, the no trigger lock is what got me in an unhappy state.

I would snap into my holster and wear it around the inn.
The door was locked on the room wasn't it?
what type of gun was it?
and you are in, well the state you are in, so it wouldnt be that big of a deal, there.
i would rather find a loaded gun than a loaded con- prophylactic.

Not happened here. I think I would just freshen around it. We are in a rural area so most who hunt have rifles, secured in their vehicles. Doubt they would bring them inside.

I would call the cops immediately. Not allowed here. There are two classes of guns... restricted and non-restricted, both must be stored unloaded. The non-restricted must be:
  • Made inoperable with a secure locking device (such as a trigger lock); or
  • Have bolts or bolt-carriers removed; or
  • Securely locked in a sturdy container, cabinet or room that cannot be easily broken into
The restricted must be:
  • Made inoperable with a secure locking device and securely locked in a sturdy container, cabinet or room that cannot be easily broken into; or
  • Locked in a vault, safe or room that was built or adapted for storing these types of firearms
  • For automatic firearms, the bolt(s) or bolt-carrier(s) must be removed, if removable, and stored in a separate locked room that cannot be easily broken into
So, a firearm on the nightstand... not in my house and let them claim it back from the cops for violating the laws and not having it secured, fully.

I'm going to wander down to the police station this week and ask what the law is. I'd be unhappy to find an unsecured weapon a guest room. If the guests were staying additional nights ask them to put it in their suitcase while out of the room
Lots of guests never expect their rooms are going to be cleaned so they leave lots of stuff out. (Guests yesterday walked out leaving their room door wide open with their stuff all over.)We had to add a note on the bed that the rooms are cleaned every day.

Never here. I don't think we draw the kind of guests who would feel the need to carry a weapon while on vacation. We are a destination, unlike many of you who get guests while they are traveling through.
What would I do? Probably call the police and ask what the law is for that sort of thing. It would be so unusual as to set off alarm bells in my head.

Once had a police officer staying with us who left it on the nightstand while they went out. My husband (who was in the military and well acquainted with guns) told him that he shouldn't just leave it out. Now the door was locked and we are the only other ones with a key so in his mind it was in a secured room. As to those who think they are in a tourist area and wouldn't attract those with guns - you have no idea how many people carry. They conceal carry so well that you wouldn't be able to see it. Just had a friend visiting and it was totally unnoticeable even to those adept at this. Most of them would never leave it behind because they want it on them for protection at all times. I'm sure just about everyone has had a guest carrying and just doesn't know it.
I'm sure now that we have housekeepers they'd come running to get us. And my husband said we'd just re-lock the room, not clean it of course, and he'd speak to them when they got back about securing it.
Massachusetts is the only state that requires guns be stored with a locking device. California, Connecticut, and New York impose this requirement in certain situations -- if they live with a person who is prohibited from having access to a firearm (convicted felon typically). San Francisco and Sunnyvale California require a gun not on the person have a trigger lock or be in a lock box, as well as Albany, NY. So local municipalities can make their own laws even if their state does not have a state-wide law. So in most circumstances your guest is not breaking any laws, just an idiot.

what type of gun was it?
and you are in, well the state you are in, so it wouldnt be that big of a deal, there.
i would rather find a loaded gun than a loaded con- prophylactic..
JBloggs said:
what type of gun was it?

Yes, the door was locked. It looked like an XD 9 MM, and was in the holster, so he conceal carries also. I'm sure 1 out of 4 of my guests carry - they just don't normally leave it out. And yeah, it isn't a big deal here, almost expected, really.

You, girl, are cracking me up today
teeth_smile.gif

I would call the cops immediately. Not allowed here. There are two classes of guns... restricted and non-restricted, both must be stored unloaded. The non-restricted must be:
  • Securely locked in a sturdy container, cabinet or room that cannot be easily broken into
The restricted must be:
  • Made inoperable with a secure locking device and securely locked in a sturdy container, cabinet or room that cannot be easily broken into; or
  • Locked in a vault, safe or room that was built or adapted for storing these types of firearms
  • For automatic firearms, the bolt(s) or bolt-carrier(s) must be removed, if removable, and stored in a separate locked room that cannot be easily broken into
So, a firearm on the nightstand... not in my house and let them claim it back from the cops for violating the laws and not having it secured, fully..
Where are you located, Generic?

We've had it twice. Once it was between their pillows. I nearly went nuts on that one...not because they had a gun, but because it was stored so unsafely..
Breakfast Diva said:
We've had it twice. Once it was between their pillows. I nearly went nuts on that one...not because they had a gun, but because it was stored so unsafely.

I would not be at all happy to find it between pillows! Or under the mattress, or anywhere my fingerprints would inadvertently be on it!

Banana, I had this experience several years ago and I am sure I posted my issue here but can't find it now. If anyone is better than me in digging it up, it would be interesting to read what all was posted then, compared to now! (Including my own comments) I do recall the conversation leading to posting such in policies....
Personally, generally speaking, I do not have a problem with guns. But I would prefer it be placed in the drawer or luggage so I don't see it. Or tell me it is there. As someone else pointed out, they don't know who will be coming in to freshen up the room.
That guy had me wound up for lots of reasons so at that time the gun was scary because HE had it, not because there was a gun in the house.
wink_smile.gif

The restricted must be:
So, a firearm on the nightstand... not in my house and let them claim it back from the cops for violating the laws and not having it secured, fully..
Where are you located, Generic?
Way up north... where the first question when you get to the frontier is... "do you have any weapons with you." And let's just say that a permit to carry concealed is held by maybe a dozen people. Now, a long gun (rifle) is a different story, but a handgun, very difficult to own and transport. (Thankfully)

Have found a couple that have been left in rooms when guest checked out, just turned them over to police department, let guest reclaim from them.

what type of gun was it?
i would rather find a loaded gun than a loaded con- prophylactic..
JBloggs said:
what type of gun was it?
And I was thinking it was because it was a non-carry State that it was left in the room. With the door locked, yes, he probably considered that secured - he IS in a B & B after all.
There are holsters that will fit in the front of a pair of jeans on a slim woman and it will not be noticeable.

Banana, I had this experience several years ago and I am sure I posted my issue here but can't find it now. If anyone is better than me in digging it up, it would be interesting to read what all was posted then, compared to now! (Including my own comments) I do recall the conversation leading to posting such in policies....
Personally, generally speaking, I do not have a problem with guns. But I would prefer it be placed in the drawer or luggage so I don't see it. Or tell me it is there. As someone else pointed out, they don't know who will be coming in to freshen up the room.
That guy had me wound up for lots of reasons so at that time the gun was scary because HE had it, not because there was a gun in the house.
wink_smile.gif
Copperhead said:
wink_smile.gif

I don't have a problem with guns either, but that's because I'm generally around people that I'm comfortable with. Had this been a guest I was NOT comfortable with, I'd be anxious for their entire stay. But I still don't think I would say anything.

Back