Just to keep the TripAdvisor blood pressure up...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, a fellow innkeeper from England equally disgusted with the move started a thread on this topic under the "Help Make TripAdvisor Better" forum and a few of us have had some fun with it.
What shocked me was a post from a woman who felt we ( not "we" as in us, but hoteliers in general ) all had shoddy behavior, rudeness, property destruction, inconsiderations, etc. coming to us because we're all so "rich" and your "average, hardworking person could barely afford staying in hotels"
Yup, I almost choked on my bonbon and early afternoon scotch as I read it. LOL
To think I turned off my favorite gameshow to go read what she had wrote too. another big LOL.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
What shocked me was a post from a woman who felt we ( not "we" as in us, but hoteliers in general ) all had shoddy behavior, rudeness, property destruction, inconsiderations, etc. coming to us because we're all so "rich" and your "average, hardworking person could barely afford staying in hotels"
Why is it ok to destroy property and treat someone rudely because they have (or are perceived th have) money?
One of my friends had a walk-in say something pretty much to the effect of, 'You have the money, I don't, and I want the room for $90. You can afford it, what's your problem?' Needless to say that fellow was shown the door tout de suite.

FWIW, a fellow innkeeper from England equally disgusted with the move started a thread on this topic under the "Help Make TripAdvisor Better" forum and a few of us have had some fun with it.
To think I turned off my favorite gameshow to go read what she had wrote too. another big LOL.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Why is it ok to destroy property and treat someone rudely because they have (or are perceived th have) money?
One of my friends had a walk-in say something pretty much to the effect of, 'You have the money, I don't, and I want the room for $90. You can afford it, what's your problem?' Needless to say that fellow was shown the door tout de suite.
I have so much trouble understanding this type of attitude. Sad to say but there is NO WHERE left in our economy where you get great service as part of the purchase price. From food/dining establishments, to retail big and small...half-hearted service with a side of bad attitude is the NORM...any time you get something remotely pleasant in terms of service it is a big deal, a total exception...
So here we have b&b owners knocking themselves out to give great service and a wonderful experience...and instead of appreciation we get told that we aren't doing enough and make too much money to begin with, so therefore deserve to be treated like dirt and have our properties' destroyed...Grrrrr!
I sincerely hope that what goes around, comes around...

Haha! I can't stand when I have to come in off the porch from my mint julip to answer a guest's question. ROFLMAO....
I think the perception is that since we own these big houses, they think we're rolling in the dough. No concept of the mortgage, taxes, insurance, etc., etc., etc., just the way these folks think and perception is reality :)

Haha! I can't stand when I have to come in off the porch from my mint julip to answer a guest's question. ROFLMAO....
I think the perception is that since we own these big houses, they think we're rolling in the dough. No concept of the mortgage, taxes, insurance, etc., etc., etc., just the way these folks think and perception is reality :)
I hear ya'
I guess the 14-18 hour days we now put in, the 35 years of hard work leading up to fulfilling this dream of opening our own B&B, all the schooling, sacrifices along the way, blah....blah...blah.... mean nothing if somebody isn't getting something of value for nearly nothing.

Samster wrote: I think the perception is that since we own these big houses, they think we're rolling in the dough. No concept of the mortgage, taxes, insurance, etc., etc., etc., just the way these folks think and perception is reality
regular_smile.gif

What I get a lot of is 'Oh so is this your family home?" meaning inherited. So they think that there is no mortgage so we must be rolling in the dough. NOT. Sometimes I have given guests a ballpark figure of what I pay for home/bus. ins and they almost gasp. Of course this is only after some long conversation and typically someone that wants to go into the business. Many do not realize that we have more than basic homeowners ins.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
You saw the same behavior from our "enslaved inkeepers' who were deciding enough was enough.

Samster wrote: I think the perception is that since we own these big houses, they think we're rolling in the dough. No concept of the mortgage, taxes, insurance, etc., etc., etc., just the way these folks think and perception is reality
regular_smile.gif

What I get a lot of is 'Oh so is this your family home?" meaning inherited. So they think that there is no mortgage so we must be rolling in the dough. NOT. Sometimes I have given guests a ballpark figure of what I pay for home/bus. ins and they almost gasp. Of course this is only after some long conversation and typically someone that wants to go into the business. Many do not realize that we have more than basic homeowners ins.
We get that frequently as well, especially since we are in our 30's..."Oh, is this a family business?" Especially from the folks here for our local snobby private college
tounge_smile.gif

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
I have so much trouble understanding this type of attitude. Sad to say but there is NO WHERE left in our economy where you get great service as part of the purchase price. From food/dining establishments, to retail big and small...half-hearted service with a side of bad attitude is the NORM...any time you get something remotely pleasant in terms of service it is a big deal, a total exception...
So here we have b&b owners knocking themselves out to give great service and a wonderful experience...and instead of appreciation we get told that we aren't doing enough and make too much money to begin with, so therefore deserve to be treated like dirt and have our properties' destroyed...Grrrrr!
It is the result of 40 years of class warfare being promoted. We are supposed to hate the rich, simply because they are rich. No one cares how hard they may have worked to get rich. I do not hate the rich. I want them to come here and spend their money in hope (futile) that some day I will be rich.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
It is the result of 40 years of class warfare being promoted. We are supposed to hate the rich, simply because they are rich. No one cares how hard they may have worked to get rich. I do not hate the rich. I want them to come here and spend their money in hope (futile) that some day I will be rich.
"It is the result of 40 years of class warfare being promoted."
I think its high time the "promoters" got fired.
Most importantly, the "promoters" of fairer income distribution, less preferential treatment for the rich via the tax code, etc. are doing a lousy job. The deeply entrenched "promoters" who have essentially been winning the "class war" since our country's inception to the benefit of the rich and powerful have been doing a bang up job with all the results to show for it.
About the only class warfare I see going on is in the sad but true facts that the U.S. enjoys the highest income disparity between the average worker and the average executive in the industrialized world.
Hell, even when companies are tanking and bleeding money, their executives are drawing obscene benefits from their "efforts" while the underlings on the factory floor take it in the shorts.
Is it any wonder there is some token resentment?
And I mean token because most all of us know that we don't dare take to the streets or even the voting booth and try and change it.
Along with that, we are a deeply indebted nation that also enjoys the lowest effective, post-deduction, exemption, etc.. tax burden of any western style, industrialized nation on earth. Future generations are facing a daunting scenario in which they will be expected sacrifice in order to shoulder cleaning up after the greedfest of the last several hundred years.
There is not a single area of modern life in America which is governed by legislation, court decisions, lobbying efforts, etc. that isn't tilted heavily in the favor of the rich. Nor are any of these issues not routinely manipulated and influenced by the lackeys, think tanks, lobbyists and spokespeople for the rich and powerful at our expense.
"We are supposed to hate the rich, simply because they are rich."
No, we are supposed to hate those that exploit others to get rich, create instability in our communities due to their speculative and risky investment strategies that put the many at risk and despoil our precious earth doing so.
There are many rich and powerful people doing lots of good deeds with their wealth, while keeping a close on the eye on the really important things that make up a good society and economic structure. One of the richest people on earth, Bill Gates' father helped create this organization.
http://www.responsiblewealth.org/commonwealth/index.html
"No one cares how hard they may have worked to get rich."
If only that was true, it would be much easier to stomach the mess they've created here by their unbridled greed. It is a minority of people in the highest echelons of pwoer and influence that "earned" their fortunes through hard work.
Inheritance, unsustainable, speculative investment schemes that do exact a toll on most average workers security, etc.. account for most of the "big" money folk.

As a reminder to our legacy posters and an FYI to our new members on this board, we tend to stay away from political and religious issues. We find that we all enjoy each other's company more that way. Many, many things draw us off-topic but they tend to be much more mundane items. Much as I may agree with some of the opinions voiced - or not - best to stick to innkeeping stuff.

As a reminder to our legacy posters and an FYI to our new members on this board, we tend to stay away from political and religious issues. We find that we all enjoy each other's company more that way. Many, many things draw us off-topic but they tend to be much more mundane items. Much as I may agree with some of the opinions voiced - or not - best to stick to innkeeping stuff..
muirford,
Sorry about that, I just assumed if somebody introduced something, it was fair game.
My blood must have still been boiling from the article in this week's Rolling Stone about concerted efforts to further abuse the taxpayer's good will by further liberalization of the estate tax to the tune of $100 BILLION over the next ten years so the ultra rich can laugh at us commoners even harder.
FYI taken, it won't happen again.

As a reminder to our legacy posters and an FYI to our new members on this board, we tend to stay away from political and religious issues. We find that we all enjoy each other's company more that way. Many, many things draw us off-topic but they tend to be much more mundane items. Much as I may agree with some of the opinions voiced - or not - best to stick to innkeeping stuff..
muirford,
Sorry about that, I just assumed if somebody introduced something, it was fair game.
My blood must have still been boiling from the article in this week's Rolling Stone about concerted efforts to further abuse the taxpayer's good will by further liberalization of the estate tax to the tune of $100 BILLION over the next ten years so the ultra rich can laugh at us commoners even harder.
Seriously Tim, that wasn't just directed at you. That's why I didn't post it as a reply to you but as a general post on the topic. It happens from time to time with our regulars, and I wouldn't expect that you would know that as a newbie. It was just information for you and a reminder for others. We get some slippage on that on occasion. Some of us have been members of other forums where talk was all political and we found that was not to our liking. So we try very hard to walk around those topics rather than through them.

muirford,
Seriously Tim, that wasn't just directed at you. That's why I didn't post it as a reply to you but as a general post on the topic. It happens from time to time with our regulars, and I wouldn't expect that you would know that as a newbie. It was just information for you and a reminder for others. We get some slippage on that on occasion. Some of us have been members of other forums where talk was all political and we found that was not to our liking. So we try very hard to walk around those topics rather than through them.
I took it exactly how you so diplomatically put it.
Thank you also for the being so kind about explaining it because I've gone off on a few too many tangents here in a relative short period of time.
With it being so much slower than normal around here, I'll have to redirect my angst and frustration over the economy into more constructive avenues than spouting off on my fellow innkeepers.
Funny, when I watch Martha Stewart and her staff toiling in her vast gardens, it seems so cathartic and very therapeutic, but for me it still feels like hard work and drudgery despite my love of the results. LOL
I already fear I've raised the ire of a colleague I have the utmost respect for who was only looking for input on our state B&B association's new website and I vented off topic about stuff that in hindsight is better off being deleted.

muirford,
muirford said:
Yes we get slippage and leakage and what is great about this forum is we are all walks of life, sometimes one of us will go over the edge - blame it on guest stress. I was on another forum that was angry bouts of political diatribes ALL the time and it really ruined any innkeeper fellowship and unity that was going on. This is a great place to yes have our own personalities and beliefs, but to tread lightly. I think it works. You all know when I go over the edge - just hit me in the head with the life preserver.

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
You saw the same behavior from our "enslaved inkeepers' who were deciding enough was enough.
Those "enslaved innkeepers" have taken their blog private. Darn, I was looking forward to keeping up with it.

Bree, I was going to post the same thread! It is horrable of TA to take such a stand on their site. Some of you recacted by stating I hit delete or spam etc., but it is important to know how this site is using all of our industry for their benefit. And they are using reviews from B&B's as well. None of us know when some sourpuss is going to leave a bad review, and it is bad enough to have that happen but then what if TA decided to use YOUR bad review in its next email 'Horror stories' - That would be worse.
In looking at these highlighed 6 - one was about a B&B and dated 4/09 (so not old) and after looking at their reviews, only 4 out of 35 reviews were rated 3 or below...So this B&B is being singled out to a national email blitz for what appears to me to be a sourpuss reveiw.
Then there is a hotel in NYC - rated #138 of 412 on TA, and of 319 reviews, only 71 were 2 or under, and of the the last 15 reviews (from April 1- present) only 3 were rated 2 or under - one was complaining only because they were not set up for business guests. Anyway, TA is highlighting a review from 2006 and digging into the reviews, there has been a renovation of this hotel since that review. So is that fair to dig back!
Then I looked at the 6 reviews and found that only 2 of the 6 have booking through TA, and only 1 (the NYC one above) has hotels and Expedia.
This is something Jay needs to also work on with TA.
I think I mentioned that at the PAII conference. A speaker from TA was amazed at all the awful posts for a NYC hotel...but yet people after reading them actually stayed there!!! And them literally bragged about it because they too posted an awful review.. Does that make sense? He said he went and stayed at the place because he was so curious. They were all right..it was awful...so why did the stay there???? Makes me wonder???
Man, these people just have WAY too much free time! Geez...
You mean, like us? LOL

Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Amen!

muirford,
I took it exactly how you so diplomatically put it.
Thank you also for the being so kind about explaining it because I've gone off on a few too many tangents here in a relative short period of time.
With it being so much slower than normal around here, I'll have to redirect my angst and frustration over the economy into more constructive avenues than spouting off on my fellow innkeepers.
Funny, when I watch Martha Stewart and her staff toiling in her vast gardens, it seems so cathartic and very therapeutic, but for me it still feels like hard work and drudgery despite my love of the results. LOL
I already fear I've raised the ire of a colleague I have the utmost respect for who was only looking for input on our state B&B association's new website and I vented off topic about stuff that in hindsight is better off being deleted.
No, No Tim, I have no raised ire. But I think you mighta raised a few other ires, from what I read. Go back and see. Not me. My ire is as flat as Rol's Remarkable Blueberry Pancakes. We're soo ok.
regular_smile.gif

I honestly had to scroll up to the top to remember what this thread started out as. LOL Oh yeah - TA's "Worsts" email. I actually found it facinating reading. And then I thanked GOD I wasn't on the list.

Back