Key for the bathroom door?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I would do both...have one key to the bathroom on the keyring with the room key, and keep a second bathroom key in the room itself. That way they can always access it. Am I reading correctly that they need the key to lock themselves IN the bathroom as well? If so, you might want to hang a key inside the bathroom as well, just in case.
Geesh, just hang a sign on the bathroom when no one is using that room..."Quarantined"...then see if PITA's still use it!
We have one detached bath...there is a sign on it which says it is for the "X Room guests only" but of course when the door is left open everyone uses that bathroom. When guests are staying in that room I tell them to keep the bathroom door pulled closed if they like...and it also blocks out most of our natural light in that hallway..
I got 2 keys with the lockset. For now, the guest gets ONE of them and I get one of them. When I get more of them, your idea might work.
No, they can use the old latch once they are in the bathroom to lock themselves in, they don't HAVE to have a key. To use the new lock they need the key.
Egads, I thought I had this all figured out!

I think I would do both...have one key to the bathroom on the keyring with the room key, and keep a second bathroom key in the room itself. That way they can always access it. Am I reading correctly that they need the key to lock themselves IN the bathroom as well? If so, you might want to hang a key inside the bathroom as well, just in case.
Geesh, just hang a sign on the bathroom when no one is using that room..."Quarantined"...then see if PITA's still use it!
We have one detached bath...there is a sign on it which says it is for the "X Room guests only" but of course when the door is left open everyone uses that bathroom. When guests are staying in that room I tell them to keep the bathroom door pulled closed if they like...and it also blocks out most of our natural light in that hallway..
I got 2 keys with the lockset. For now, the guest gets ONE of them and I get one of them. When I get more of them, your idea might work.
No, they can use the old latch once they are in the bathroom to lock themselves in, they don't HAVE to have a key. To use the new lock they need the key.
Ok, if the guest is only getting one key, then I would keep it in the guest room, not on the room key chain, so it's in the room when they need it. And I would definitely get some duplicates made so you are not in a jam WHEN someone makes off with it (and you know they will).
If there is a latch inside then I wouldn't worry about also keeping a key in there.

This is for a guest room which uses the hallway bath...correct? No one else uses it.
I would just have a key in the room clearly marked HALL BATHROOM KEY. Be sure to keep this in the room. Maybe hang it on their entry door or on the door trim molding, so they can access it easily.
Make sure the bathroom is clearly marked...PRIVATE BATH for XXX Room ONLY.
Muirford's idea is a good one. Key to both doors are the same..if you can do that.
I don't see any reason why they should tote around a bathroom key with their door key. They are adults and can figure out its use:).
It's a skeleton key so it wouldn't work in both doors. The other worry is it's 'novelty' and someone might walk off with it for that reason. I was thinking of a big ribbon and hang it from the inside of the room door, but hubs thinks it'll go walking if it's only a ribbon. He assures me he won't hang it from a license plate like a gas station bathroom key.
wink_smile.gif
But he thinks it needs something more than a ribbon. I just don't want something that is going to clank in the night time as they're trying to unlock the door.
Altho, I really think few people will continually lock the door, they might. I'll look around the house, we got a bunch of key fobs with all the keys when we bought the place, maybe I have something I can use that is large enough, but not noisy.
Mine is keyed the same as the room key, so it's an "extra" key. The bathroom key lives in the guest's room while they're here. It's on a tassle that matches the decor of the room which is basically too large for most people. Works for here. It's not really a "plague room" since it's the second bath of the 2 bedroom suite. Has worked very well up to this point :)

how about one of those shower scrubbies? they would know what the key was for but they're made of nylon so no noise. and the scrubbie has a loop to hang it. or would the guest use the scrubbie?.
Haha! That's pretty funny! I have seen rubber duckie key rings somewhere....

This is for a guest room which uses the hallway bath...correct? No one else uses it.
I would just have a key in the room clearly marked HALL BATHROOM KEY. Be sure to keep this in the room. Maybe hang it on their entry door or on the door trim molding, so they can access it easily.
Make sure the bathroom is clearly marked...PRIVATE BATH for XXX Room ONLY.
Muirford's idea is a good one. Key to both doors are the same..if you can do that.
I don't see any reason why they should tote around a bathroom key with their door key. They are adults and can figure out its use:).
It's a skeleton key so it wouldn't work in both doors. The other worry is it's 'novelty' and someone might walk off with it for that reason. I was thinking of a big ribbon and hang it from the inside of the room door, but hubs thinks it'll go walking if it's only a ribbon. He assures me he won't hang it from a license plate like a gas station bathroom key.
wink_smile.gif
But he thinks it needs something more than a ribbon. I just don't want something that is going to clank in the night time as they're trying to unlock the door.
Altho, I really think few people will continually lock the door, they might. I'll look around the house, we got a bunch of key fobs with all the keys when we bought the place, maybe I have something I can use that is large enough, but not noisy.
Mine is keyed the same as the room key, so it's an "extra" key. The bathroom key lives in the guest's room while they're here. It's on a tassle that matches the decor of the room which is basically too large for most people. Works for here. It's not really a "plague room" since it's the second bath of the 2 bedroom suite. Has worked very well up to this point :)
A tassel might work. I was just thinking that these room doors used to have little straw hats on them. Those hats are around here somewhere. Right in line with the scrubbie as far as guys are concerned, tho. I have a picture in my head of a curtain tassel being somewhere around here...

how about one of those shower scrubbies? they would know what the key was for but they're made of nylon so no noise. and the scrubbie has a loop to hang it. or would the guest use the scrubbie?.
Samster said:
I looked today in the drug store at all the possible stuff I could use. There were rubber duckies everywhere, but nothing with any kind of hook. Ooooh, I have a Sponge Bob key ring! There we go, that would work, just have to find it.
And Sponge Bob is my speed...

I definitely would hightail it to the hardware store to get a bunch of duplicates. Check the dollar store or drugstore for key chains that are "water related" to your area. Then, you won't care if the keychain goes walking.
Half the time our guests don't lock that hall bath door but we haven't had the intruders use that bath either. But we only have one other room that could be unrelated to the party with that suite.

OK, I thought I'd give the shower scrubbie a try. It's cute, but hubs said, 'No guy will ever stay in that room again.' He might have a point there, so I'm still looking for other ideas..
How about a medium size wood disc. Paint a door on it and write under it - Water Closet.

Our house only has the private bathrooms inside of each guest room, so this isn't an issue for us, but a couple of related issues seem worth exploring.
Last week, we had a couple and their friend book spontaneously after seeing them at the nearby gas station with maps, guide books, etc. spread out on the hood of their rental car looking bewildered. Being the helpful and outgoing types we are, I asked them if they needed help finding something.
They were on a roadtrip and hadn't booked anything in advance and needed a place to stay for the next three nights. Seemed nice enough and our place offered exactly what they were looking for.
We didn't have any other guests for that three days, so it was a nice little boost, or so we thought.
We generally leave all of our vacant rooms open to allow air to move through and so the curious won't have to ask to look at the rest of the house for future reference.
Well, the problems began with the bouncing ball of "we probably won't want breakfast most of the mornings because we're avid hikers and want to get out there at the crack of dawn."
It was like pulling teeth every night getting them to decide if they'd want breakfast or not. With their desire for pre-dawn coffee each day, if other guests had been here, it would have been a nightmare with these three traipsing through the whole house regularly really early.
After just one of my wife's now legendary breakfasts, we kind of knew we'd have them for breakfast each day, which is of course the point of staying at a B&B.
The biggest problem was these three were all huge drinkers by even my own liberal consumption standard. I mean, at least 12 beers per day per the two males and 1.5 or more bottles of wine for the woman.
After their check out, we started cleaning their room and while cleaning the full house noticed that every stinkin' bathroom in the house had been used.
And the guys weren't the best aims if you know what I mean.
So here we are, getting up earlier than normal to cater to their schedule, doing extra cleaning, worrying each night one of them would trip and fall in a drunken stupor, and they got a discount like most guests have since the economy tanked.
No thank you comment in the book, no "sorry for sullying more of the house than we were paying for", no tip, nothing.
Then the other day, some couple drives in and says "We'd like to tour your place, somebody we know stayed here once and we'd like a brochure for next year's visit to the area." When asked, "Oh, who may we thank for telling you about us?" they went blank.
So, after about 20 seconds of the tour, the woman beelines it for one of the rooms and we're thinking she just wants to take a look around. Five minutes later, out she comes and once they're gone, we see she has left us a nice present in the room's toilet. No, "Hey, I really had to go and sorry for leaving you a mess"
This locked rooms idea seems to be a very good one, if this kind of stuff keeps up..
I always keep empty room doors locked. We didn't have the bathroom problem, but younger guests would get frisky on the bedspread. Yuck.
I hate when I have to explain this on the welcome tour. What is it about a clean, fresh bedspread that is so inviting? Only explanation I can come up with is that perhaps they wanted a change of scenery.

Back