Law of the Garbage Truck

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
I received this e-mail this morning from one of the Sisters of the Shiny Knees.She is correct, it does apply to innkeepers!
Kathleen,

Also good for innkeepers ............
Good thoughts to keep in mind!

A Sister of the Shiny Knees (she wants anonimity)

Words to live by!
Law of the Garbage Truck
One day I hopped in a taxi and we took off for the airport. We were driving in the right lane when suddenly a black car jumped out of a parking space right in front of us. My taxi driver slammed on his brakes, skidded, and missed the other car by just inches! The driver of the other car whipped his head around and started yelling at us. My taxi driver just smiled and waved at the guy. He was really friendly.

So I asked, "Why did you just do that? This guy almost ruined your car and sent us to the hospital!" This is when my taxi driver taught me what I now call, "The Law of the Garbage Truck." He explained that many people are like garbage trucks. They run around full of garbage, full of frustration, full of anger, and full of disappointment. As their garbage piles up, they need a place to dump it and sometimes they'll dump it on you. Don't take it personally. Just smile, wave, wish them well, and move on. Don't take their garbage and spread it to other people at work, at home, or on the streets.

The bottom line is that successful people do not let garbage trucks take over their day. Life's too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so...Love the people who treat you right. Pray for the ones who don't. Life is ten percent what you make it and ninety percent how you take it!

Have a blessed, garbage-free day.

The Worry Tree !
The Carpenter I hired to help me restore an old farmhouse had just finished a rough first day on the job. A flat tire made him lose an hour of work, his electric saw quit, and now his ancient pickup truck refused to start. While I drove him home, he sat in stony silence.
On arriving, he invited me in to meet his family. As we walked toward the front door, he paused briefly at a small tree, touching the tips of the branches with both hands. When opening the door, he underwent an amazing transformation. His tanned face wreathed in smiles and he hugged his two small children and gave his wife a kiss.
Afterward he walked me to the car. We passed the tree and my curiosity got the better of me. I asked him about what I had seen him do earlier.
"Oh, that's my trouble tree", he replied. "I know I can't help having troubles on the job, but one thing for sure, troubles don't belong in the house with my wife and the children. So I just hang them on the tree every night when I come home. Then in the morning I pick them up again."
"Funny thing is", he smiled, "when I come out in the morning to pick 'em up, there ain't nearly as many as I remember hanging up the night before."

Reminds me of the worry tree story, also a good one. I will see if I can find it.
You know has been my motto since opening this B&B. People are out fighting dragons day in and day out. So many can go for months without a kind word.
When they enter our doors we have an oppty to simply be nice. Whowouldathunk that is something people rarely encounter? It is!
Someone taking the time to be nice is not normal these days. It is so not normal that you are disttrustful of nice people. Guests can leave our abodes with hope that there are some nice people left in this world. Just for the sake of being nice.

Yes, indeed. I put all that 'trash' that has piled up over the past couple of weeks out at the curb. Voila! It's gone.

Reminds me of the worry tree story, also a good one. I will see if I can find it.
You know has been my motto since opening this B&B. People are out fighting dragons day in and day out. So many can go for months without a kind word.
When they enter our doors we have an oppty to simply be nice. Whowouldathunk that is something people rarely encounter? It is!
Someone taking the time to be nice is not normal these days. It is so not normal that you are disttrustful of nice people. Guests can leave our abodes with hope that there are some nice people left in this world. Just for the sake of being nice..
Our guest this morning said, "Everyone is so nice here!" I said, "Welcome to the South...and a smaller city in the South.
regular_smile.gif
We take the time to be nice here because we can. No one is really rushing around to be somewhere. We're not frantic and we're not fried up like bacon in a pan. I hope you enjoy the pace here since you'll be living here for awhile. At least that's what we found here." This guest is moving from the same city that we moved from. Although, I would move back there in a heartbeat...I just wouldn't live or work right in the mayhem. haha!

Yep... you can tell what's inside by what spills out when someone's caught off guard.
=)
Kk.

Yep... you can tell what's inside by what spills out when someone's caught off guard.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Oooooo, that doesn't bode well for me...I usually am very snappish when caught off guard. Like the guests last night who surprised me by being in the dining room and not outside on the porch where I expected them to be. We didn't even see them this morning. No brekkie, no coffee, key on the desk, auf weidersehen. I may have hurt their feelings. And he's been here a few times. Ugh.

Thanks for both of these 'guides to live by'. Needed them just now with personal things, nothing with the B&B.

Well, you know the problem... as soon as you share something like that it comes back to bite you. This afternoon we went canoeing with a group from church... promise of pizza and ice cream afterward. Get back to the car, no key. (It had been safety pinned on the left strap of my swimsuit.) Get back on the bus, go back to the landing, back on the bus, into the office to find the manager to break into my car... key starts poking me under my [heart] where it had somehow landed and remained. Sure enough... get to the pavilion, pizza is gone, ice cream is soup.
Can't say I handled myself as well as I would like to have...
=)
Kk.

Back