Linens for owners

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with everyone that has the "waste not want not" mentality. I do change the rolls of TP and take the rest for us. And yes if there are stains on sheets, I wash with bleach and use them on our own beds...still have three rooms for family and guests that are not part of the B & B. I have replaced three comfortors in our suite within the last three years because of stains-I kept them for our beds. I grew up in South America and came to the states when I was 12, I was completely AMAZED at all the conveniences and products that are so readily available and the sadest thing that so much is thrown away its sad. We do have separate dishwear for the B & B only because we had children in the house and it seemed that the glasses got broken more easily and the plates got chips. We had three sets of silverware that was included in the sale plus our own so and we keep them in the side board. If the towels have small stains we put them on a shelf to use for the hot tub which is outside and that truly does not matter. Now if there is a LARGE stain on a towel of sheet, we do tear them up dor rags.
With all the eco-friendly, green and "not wasting" moto's nowadays it would be a shame to throw anything that is of use away..
birdwatcher said:
I'm with everyone that has the "waste not want not" mentality. I do change the rolls of TP and take the rest for us. And yes if there are staincluded in the sale plus our own so and we keep them in the side board.
We are the same. I can't stand to throw anything away, with all the waste I see around me. Just can't do it. Must be the New England in me, or growing up in Switzerland. They both save and reuse everything in both places...
Riki

maybe this will make me sound like a total snob but i don't care. Absolutely NOT will i ever lay myself on a pillowcase, sheets. etc that has been ruined by a guest. That is very gross to me and DH feels the same. Same with towels. those are guests towels, we have our own. If guest towels get ruined they become beach towels or are torn up & used as cleaning cloths. we have 1000 TC sheets on our own bed and they are luxurious. I would never put those on guest beds. i could not sleep at night if i knew there was someone else's stains underneath me
yes, we do utilize the tp remnant rolls. we even keep our dishes, cutlery, etc seperate from the settings we use for guests. I know it probably sounds, petty, anal, whatever you want to call it but it is way to easy to fully & completely give every ounce of ourselves over to our guests. we have to draw the line at somepoint..
I like the way you think. For the most part that was what we did as well. Our things and guest things were separate. And..we never used remnant toilet paper:)
catlady said:
I like the way you think. For the most part that was what we did as well. Our things and guest things were separate. And..we never used remnant toilet paper:)
What did you do with the three quarter used TP rolls?
JeannineIrish said:
catlady said:
What did you do with the three quarter used TP rolls?
We kept them in the guest bathroom until they were used up :) Always plenty of extra rolls in the guest bathroom should they need more.

I'm with everyone that has the "waste not want not" mentality. I do change the rolls of TP and take the rest for us. And yes if there are stains on sheets, I wash with bleach and use them on our own beds...still have three rooms for family and guests that are not part of the B & B. I have replaced three comfortors in our suite within the last three years because of stains-I kept them for our beds. I grew up in South America and came to the states when I was 12, I was completely AMAZED at all the conveniences and products that are so readily available and the sadest thing that so much is thrown away its sad. We do have separate dishwear for the B & B only because we had children in the house and it seemed that the glasses got broken more easily and the plates got chips. We had three sets of silverware that was included in the sale plus our own so and we keep them in the side board. If the towels have small stains we put them on a shelf to use for the hot tub which is outside and that truly does not matter. Now if there is a LARGE stain on a towel of sheet, we do tear them up dor rags.
With all the eco-friendly, green and "not wasting" moto's nowadays it would be a shame to throw anything that is of use away..
birdwatcher said:
I'm with everyone that has the "waste not want not" mentality. I do change the rolls of TP and take the rest for us. And yes if there are staincluded in the sale plus our own so and we keep them in the side board.
We are the same. I can't stand to throw anything away, with all the waste I see around me. Just can't do it. Must be the New England in me, or growing up in Switzerland. They both save and reuse everything in both places...
Riki
I cannot speak for the young ones (who can), but the old-timers in my State are the champs at the use, reuse, find a new use before it becomes refuse. This is a State where when asked, "How are you doing?" the answer is "Getting by." By the time I throw something away, it is truly trash. And you do not give something away that you would not be willing to use yourself.

Good for you! When we bought this B&B that was the first thing I did was to buy a nice set so my own bed was nice and cozy.
Of course since then it has been hand-me-down-rejects from the guest rooms - not stained up, those all go to the scrap pile, just linens that wrinkle too easy that I just can't toss out, and will live with on my own bed. So usually just bought..
When we finally get our 'new' bed, which will be an old bed from the inn that gets replaced, I'm getting all new linens for the 'used' bed. Weird, but it'll be a new, bigger bed to me. And the new linens will really make it feel new. And I will toss every single sheet I have been using since we arrived here.
All of the uncleanable guest towels get used for rags.

Vote me in with the "waste not want not" crowd. We lived frugally before the B&B, we live frugally now... if it has life left in it, we'll use it, or recycle it for another function. Guests get new TP, we use up everything. Before he'd met me dh had never heard what I grew up hearing:
Use it up
Wear it out
Make it do
Do without
=)
Kk.

Back