Live-in Innkeeper versus part-time innkeepers

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inntropical

Reaction score
Good Morning! I've been off this site for over 2 years, but received such great advice the last time I was on which is why I came back on. I've been an innkeeper now for 4 years, sometimes a live-in and sometimes a partial live-in. Yesterday I had an experience which is the second time it's happened at this inn ( my second time here after taking a 2 year break from this inn). Hostile guest blasting me out about the breakfast served etc. I kindly explained to her about the breakfast situation, where she repeated not once, but several times, she would never come back. I again kindly, calmly told her I would relay things to the owner, and also stated to her that all inns are dirfferent, and maybe this one was just not the right fit for her. I sent a text msg (owner has told me to do this) to owner saying guest balted me out. I was fine. Owner text then calls me. In afternoon she comes in, tells me I should not have said that to guest, its reserved for her to say and then proceeds to tell me what another innkeeper, whom I really like, been there for 17 years, but only 2 days a week, what she does. Sorry, but there is no comparison between me, a live-in, on the clock 24/7 to an innkeeper 16 hours a week (Mon &Tues). I'm a bit tired of the comparison.

We don't serve breakfast and of course I wasn't there so hard to know just what happened, but to me breakfast seems rather like the guest that says they didn't sleep well on the mattress, as it is often a matter of personal choice and as you say different folks fit different places. My one B&B experience served lots of country cooking, I loved it and I probably wouldn't fit as well with a fancy plated breakfast.
BUT, when it comes to a guest a complaint is a learning experience, pain in the rear as they might seem they can teach us things about what a guest expects and it is hardly ever worth arguing with them especially since you are caught in the middle between them and the owner. Would the best answer be to simply say "I'm sorry we failed to meet your needs and I'll have the owner contact you"

Either as a live-in or as a part -time innkeeper, you're the face of the business and the owner. If the owner wants it handled in a slightly different way, then it's up to you to make that happen. You may not like it, but the bottom line is that it's the owner's choice. The guest has no idea if you're the live in or not. You're the one they're dealing with at that moment. If it's a difficult guest like the one you had, always defer to the owner and let the guest know that you'll give their feedback to the owner. You don't need to take anything personal, that's for the owner to deal with.
I know you feel like you're stuck in the middle, but be grateful that it's really on the owner's shoulder to bear the burden.

We don't serve breakfast and of course I wasn't there so hard to know just what happened, but to me breakfast seems rather like the guest that says they didn't sleep well on the mattress, as it is often a matter of personal choice and as you say different folks fit different places. My one B&B experience served lots of country cooking, I loved it and I probably wouldn't fit as well with a fancy plated breakfast.
BUT, when it comes to a guest a complaint is a learning experience, pain in the rear as they might seem they can teach us things about what a guest expects and it is hardly ever worth arguing with them especially since you are caught in the middle between them and the owner. Would the best answer be to simply say "I'm sorry we failed to meet your needs and I'll have the owner contact you".
I love this! Thank you so much! Going forward I will use these words! The owner could have given me better words in my opinion, the constant comparison between myself and another innkeeper, to me is unprofessional. Guest are truly pleased with me and my performance, I've never had a complaint against me, I enjoy what I do for the most part. I just feel treat me with a tad more of how you would like to be treated. It was only me at the desk, as it is here, during a 40 + breakfast, checking people out and in, answering questions about beach etc.
Anyhow, lesson learned! Onward and upward and again many thanks for the words!!

Either as a live-in or as a part -time innkeeper, you're the face of the business and the owner. If the owner wants it handled in a slightly different way, then it's up to you to make that happen. You may not like it, but the bottom line is that it's the owner's choice. The guest has no idea if you're the live in or not. You're the one they're dealing with at that moment. If it's a difficult guest like the one you had, always defer to the owner and let the guest know that you'll give their feedback to the owner. You don't need to take anything personal, that's for the owner to deal with.
I know you feel like you're stuck in the middle, but be grateful that it's really on the owner's shoulder to bear the burden..
Thank you! And yes, you are absolutely right. For me personally, I think being a live-in I have felt closer, more responsible, more 'ownershipie' (haha, my word) of the inn. I DID tell the guest that I would let the owner know about her grievances. But that's when I should have also used the wording that Jim Boone offered.
But it was a learning experience, all round, and I AM grateful it's on the owner's shoulders. :)

BUT, when it comes to a guest a complaint is a learning experience, pain in the rear as they might seem they can teach us things about what a guest expects and it is hardly ever worth arguing with them especially since you are caught in the middle between them and the owner. Would the best answer be to simply say "I'm sorry we failed to meet your needs and I'll have the owner contact you".
I love this! Thank you so much! Going forward I will use these words! The owner could have given me better words in my opinion, the constant comparison between myself and another innkeeper, to me is unprofessional. Guest are truly pleased with me and my performance, I've never had a complaint against me, I enjoy what I do for the most part. I just feel treat me with a tad more of how you would like to be treated. It was only me at the desk, as it is here, during a 40 + breakfast, checking people out and in, answering questions about beach etc.
Anyhow, lesson learned! Onward and upward and again many thanks for the words!!
inntropical said:
the constant comparison between myself and another innkeeper, to me is unprofessional. .
Hopefully meant as in illustration of how the owner would prefer certain things to be handled, perhaps as a result of the owner becoming comfortable with someone that was there for a long period of time, but yes the person that doesn't work many hours doesn't run into many problems.
On the other hand, yes I've also had a boss that I felt unfairly believed the wrong people, it happens, nothing beats being the owner and then the real results of our efforts is success or failure.

I know you feel like you're stuck in the middle, but be grateful that it's really on the owner's shoulder to bear the burden..
Thank you! And yes, you are absolutely right. For me personally, I think being a live-in I have felt closer, more responsible, more 'ownershipie' (haha, my word) of the inn. I DID tell the guest that I would let the owner know about her grievances. But that's when I should have also used the wording that Jim Boone offered.
But it was a learning experience, all round, and I AM grateful it's on the owner's shoulders. :)
inntropical said:
I give you a lot of credit for being able to step back and see both sides. Last year I had my first experience with not being physically at our b&b for 7 months and putting our 'baby' in the hands of an assistant. It was really difficult! Our whole reputation was in the hands of someone who didn't have any 'skin in the game'. It sounds like you're a wonderful assistant-innkeeper and an asset to their business.

Latest posts

Back