Local business loses permit - INN the news 09.16.08

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Between paying the mortgage and paving her driveway, she chose her mortgage..
So now she has her house...but no business. What good is that??
They do tell her to reapply for a special use permit and looks like folks are on her side..so maybe an appeal will help her.

They tried to work with her on it and she had 5 years to fix the issue...more than generous in my opinion.

When you read the article, it's clear that she already has a well-sized gravel parking lot and the issue is that the town wants it paved rather than gravel. It's not like the guests are parking on the front lawn.

This was a comment on the article which I had to get a chuckle out of:
"Noticed a lot of peeling paint and some rotted-out boards around the top of City Hall yesterday.
The Breashear House looks a lot better maintained....and without a 20+million dollar budget and 140-someodd employees to look after it."

read all the comments, now i need to read the follow up
in five years she couldn't save up enough money to pave the lot? i don't understand that. estimate she had was $1700. okay, how much would you have to bank over a five year period to come up with under $2,000? if i was told i had five years to get my parking lot paved or i'd be out of business, and i was told that right at the beginning, i would find a way to get it done.
as for other businesses in the area being 'junky' and not having paved lots and being grandfathered in, there is NOTHING new or unfair about that. i arrived here, and immediately had to bring things up to code. didn't matter if all the other businesses around me do not ... if they have all been run by the same folks for years, then they are grandfathered in. one day, they will change hands, and the new owners will have to do things to bring them up to date .... i'm sure it won't feel 'fair'. yes, it's frustrating and hard and can be downright expensive to comply ... but that's how it is here, too.

Cost of doing business. It sounds like she opened her B&B THEN checked to see what was required. Any aspirings reading this take note: When considering opening a Bed and Breakfast, large or small, you must have a business plan. Before you spend one penny, you need to know what is required of you on a local, county and state level. You also need to know what it is going to cost you to be in compliance with those codes. This person obviously did not.
I agree with SeaShanty that she could have easily set aside enough money for the paving if she had budgeted for it. However, I contend that she should have known about this up front and should have included it in her start-up monies. If you're running a business without a budget, then God be with you.

I can't believe this is the WHOLE story. She's been open for 5 years and hasn't been able to raise $1700 to make a repair? What else isn't getting done?
Maybe she doesn't WANT to pave, that's one thing. But to say she hasn't got the money is something else altogether. If someone wanted to buy the place now they'd wonder about ever making back the investment.
I know we'll need a new roof soon, and I'd like to do the carpets this year. We'll borrow the money, which she could do also. That makes me think she doesn't WANT to comply because no one else has to.

I can't believe this is the WHOLE story. She's been open for 5 years and hasn't been able to raise $1700 to make a repair? What else isn't getting done?
Maybe she doesn't WANT to pave, that's one thing. But to say she hasn't got the money is something else altogether. If someone wanted to buy the place now they'd wonder about ever making back the investment.
I know we'll need a new roof soon, and I'd like to do the carpets this year. We'll borrow the money, which she could do also. That makes me think she doesn't WANT to comply because no one else has to..
bree, that is my take also.
i am not seeing any quotes from the owner(s).
the town says the owner(s) was told five years ago that paving would be required.
as for the $$, doing a little math ... if $70 a month was put aside, they'd have had the money in two years. if $50 a month was set aside, they'd have had it in three. add for inflation, it still should have been do-able if they knew up front it was going to be required.
again -- we aren't 'hearing' the owner's side of the story. but the things i didn't have when we opened i was given 30 days to get or be closed. end of story. 30 DAYS.

I know we'll need a new roof soon, and I'd like to do the carpets this year. We'll borrow the money, which she could do also. That makes me think she doesn't WANT to comply because no one else has to..
the town says the owner(s) was told five years ago that paving would be required.
as for the $$, doing a little math ... if $70 a month was put aside, they'd have had the money in two years. if $50 a month was set aside, they'd have had it in three. add for inflation, it still should have been do-able if they knew up front it was going to be required.
again -- we aren't 'hearing' the owner's side of the story. but the things i didn't have when we opened i was given 30 days to get or be closed. end of story. 30 DAYS.
seashanty said:
. . . but the things i didn't have when we opened i was given 30 days to get or be closed. end of story. 30 DAYS.
WOW! Sometimes I can't even get a contractor to return a call for 30 days, let alone get any actual work done.

See that is what I meant. If you know you have 5 years to fix something. You know the cost..then SAVE FOR IT for heaven's sake. IT is the cost of doing and keeping a business. If she can't save $1700 in 5 years, then she doesn't have a business worth doing in my opinion.

This seems to be a diff article, same pic?
Read the comments on this article at the bottom, that is what I find interesting. This lady has off street parking for her small B&B other places have events and functions and ON STREET parking which just so happens to be owned by a council member.
She has maintained the drive way just fine, it is not paved.
Except:
Platte tells KTVO she plans to hard-surface her lot and apply for another special use permit so she can continue business.

We asked the city for a copy of the ordinance requiring businesses to have hard-surfaced parking but have yet to receive a reply.
I post these sorts of inn the news so that aspirings can catch a glimpse of some of the issues we face as business owners in THIS business. There are always hoops to jump through and plenty of politics at play.

seashanty said:
. . . but the things i didn't have when we opened i was given 30 days to get or be closed. end of story. 30 DAYS.
WOW! Sometimes I can't even get a contractor to return a call for 30 days, let alone get any actual work done.
Wow! You can get a contractor to call you back in 30 days? They actually call you back!?
wink_smile.gif

Back