Loss of home and business

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
This is very sad. Overwhelming.
I am posting this here, I don't want a knee jerk reaction myself, as I believe we should always do due diligence and find out what insurance coverage was available before throwing hard earned money at someone or something.
If anyone is willing to do a little research to find out more details about this huge loss we may as a corporate group send them $ (as innkeepers who care vs unknown people trying to help as I think that will mean a lot more to them) or we can individually put something on the GoFundMe page.
If anyone is available to take up this challenge, please reply. Thank you!

It is true as described on their B&B's website. It wasn't a total and complete loss since their cottage escaped the fire and is still open for guests. They are fine and their guests were gone so it ended well in that aspect. But a heavy loss nevertheless!!!!!! Their TA reviews are all five or four stars reviews except one that the reviewer said itself that maybe they weren't B&B people after all they just left without spending the night and didn't notifying the innkeepers prior to leaving. So it seems to be a nice place.
I think its a great idea for us to give them money as a group of innkeepers to show our support and care. As far as we know, they could be part of our group. I think this would be an encouragement to them that other innkeepers care for them. Do we have anyone in or around them that could personally contact them? If not, I can send them an email or phone call but I would like to know people want to do it before contacting them. Let us know your thoughts.

I have sent an e-mail to someone who MAY be able to find out for us.
My question was did they have an insurance package that covered rebuild, loss of business, etc. and explained why I asked.
Update: My source said they were good questions and fair questions. Will try to find out for me.

Yes this is a very sensitive and emotional time, the questions need to be approached carefully. Loss of business will impact them paying the bills and putting food on the table. They have donations coming in, but I felt as a industry peers it would be a nice gesture. And if some gave a wee amount it would all come together.
DISCLAIMER: I am not suggesting it say innspiring. So please do not mention this forum. That is why the link is veiled.
If all told it was substantial then could certainly put a list together of donors (not amounts) if everyone involved wished to do that. Or it could be angel giving.
Just some ideas, this is open to everyone. All ideas welcome. If it were me, it would feel like a warm hug, from peers. A well needed hug in my dark hour.

It is true as described on their B&B's website. It wasn't a total and complete loss since their cottage escaped the fire and is still open for guests. They are fine and their guests were gone so it ended well in that aspect. But a heavy loss nevertheless!!!!!! Their TA reviews are all five or four stars reviews except one that the reviewer said itself that maybe they weren't B&B people after all they just left without spending the night and didn't notifying the innkeepers prior to leaving. So it seems to be a nice place.
I think its a great idea for us to give them money as a group of innkeepers to show our support and care. As far as we know, they could be part of our group. I think this would be an encouragement to them that other innkeepers care for them. Do we have anyone in or around them that could personally contact them? If not, I can send them an email or phone call but I would like to know people want to do it before contacting them. Let us know your thoughts..
Duff, please leave this one to us.
My asking comes from personal experience. Soon after I started dating Himself, he was ill. Was in and out for tests to find out what was the problem. I thought he was having a rough time financially with all those kids and not working. What he gave me to go buy groceries did not come near to covering the grocery bill for what I bought so I supplemented from my meager funds. After we were married, I found out he had salary insurance - after 2 weeks off it kicked in - AND he did not miss a paycheck from the company.
IF they have the Wolf package. they have loss of business. I know there were several B & Bs that were lost in this fire. I prefer to help someone who was more in my position - I have insurance on house, contents, and liability BUT no loss of business because I cannot afford that insurance package (with things I do not need such as employee theft). I want to offer help, but want to help someone REALLY in need.

I think its a great idea for us to give them money as a group of innkeepers to show our support and care. As far as we know, they could be part of our group. I think this would be an encouragement to them that other innkeepers care for them. Do we have anyone in or around them that could personally contact them? If not, I can send them an email or phone call but I would like to know people want to do it before contacting them. Let us know your thoughts..
My asking comes from personal experience. Soon after I started dating Himself, he was ill. Was in and out for tests to find out what was the problem. I thought he was having a rough time financially with all those kids and not working. What he gave me to go buy groceries did not come near to covering the grocery bill for what I bought so I supplemented from my meager funds. After we were married, I found out he had salary insurance - after 2 weeks off it kicked in - AND he did not miss a paycheck from the company.
IF they have the Wolf package. they have loss of business. I know there were several B & Bs that were lost in this fire. I prefer to help someone who was more in my position - I have insurance on house, contents, and liability BUT no loss of business because I cannot afford that insurance package (with things I do not need such as employee theft). I want to offer help, but want to help someone REALLY in need.
I see Eight Gables inn was also destroyed anyone know of any others?

EmptyNest said:
Anyone who has info please feel free to share here.

Sounds good! I didn't see your post until after I posted mine. Keep me up to date on what is going on. I am interested in helping out those who need it as well.

its tricky - I gave to one and was happy to do so had hurricane damage, but their deductible was really high for hurricane damage something like $25,000 so it was to get them to that point and to get the roof patched and work started till the insurance money came through

This morning I had a brain cramp and did a goo gle on B &Bs in Gatlinburg. Started looking them up and several had the good sense to post on their home page that they were OK. I called one and they were OK as were all their family's homes. She said Eight Gables and Tudor were the only ones that were destroyed. All the others are OK.
Cambs brought up a good point about the deductible - I know mine is high to keep premiums down.
IF anyone would like to do a pooling of funds to send to them, let me know. I probably have more time than anyone since this time of year I have NO guests (sigh) as per usual. My thought is, IF this is something anyone wants to do, I will take all the funds and split between the 2 of them. Just so you know, GoFundMe takes a cut of the amount raised. If we send it direct - THEY ( the 2 inns) get ALL the money. I am in the open so everyone knows who/where I am. Send me a PM if you are in and I will watch for the mail from you.

Is anyone here a paii member? Are they looking at doing anything? It might make for a bigger check.

Is anyone here a paii member? Are they looking at doing anything? It might make for a bigger check..
Eight Gables was select registry but I don't see any affiliation on Tudor inn site.
maybe check with TN association first.

Is anyone here a paii member? Are they looking at doing anything? It might make for a bigger check..
Eight Gables was select registry but I don't see any affiliation on Tudor inn site.
EmptyNest said:
from the website, it says this was a property owned by -here-
If anyone hears of a B&B association or Hospitality group doing anything, please share here.
This was something I thought we could do corporately, or we can do individually. Or not at all. Whatever you want. But it is brought to our attention here. Send them a card with a hug attached.

Tudor's "About Us" page (on bottom of home page) says it was family operated. GoFund list Chuck as owner.

Tudor's "About Us" page (on bottom of home page) says it was family operated. GoFund list Chuck as owner..
Yes I saw that as well. The other run by a huge mgt corporation????
You know...Dolly is giving every family who lost their homes $1000 a month for a year. And there is a telethon coming up this week as well. Go Fund me...takes a portion of what is raised and if you don't meet the goal I don't think you get anything...that is what I have heard from other folks using it.
While I think JB has suggested a nice gesture. I am not sure how much our little group could raise. It would be better to put towards a bigger effort from an association or what ever. Personally I have already donated a bunch through our local Fire Dept.

Tudor's "About Us" page (on bottom of home page) says it was family operated. GoFund list Chuck as owner..
You know...Dolly is giving every family who lost their homes $1000 a month for a year. And there is a telethon coming up this week as well. Go Fund me...takes a portion of what is raised and if you don't meet the goal I don't think you get anything...that is what I have heard from other folks using it.
While I think JB has suggested a nice gesture. I am not sure how much our little group could raise. It would be better to put towards a bigger effort from an association or what ever. Personally I have already donated a bunch through our local Fire Dept.
It is not how much we sent, it is that we SENT. Even if we pooled $100 - it would help. There have been times in my life that $5 made enough difference to make me cry. And since Eight Gables IS part of a big corporation, I would like permission of everyone who sends, to send all to Tudor as it is like us, a family-owned B & B.

It is not how much we sent, it is that we SENT. Even if we pooled $100 - it would help. There have been times in my life that $5 made enough difference to make me cry. And since Eight Gables IS part of a big corporation, I would like permission of everyone who sends, to send all to Tudor as it is like us, a family-owned B & B.
plus its comforting to know people give a stuff - the one with the deductible emailed me personally to say thank you - if everyone on here or the other facebook groups just put in a dollar each it would be thousands

Back