Luray?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here's my day in a nutshell - power steering went out on brand new car. 45 miles on I-95 at 30 MPH (that was traffic, not the car problems). And I'm sick. Physically. We know I'm mentally sick. ;-)
Came into town over the mountain. Switchbacks all the way up and down. No power steering.
Heading home. But have to get car fixed. Hopefully tomorrow..
oh no! HOPE tomorrow is better.
EmptyNest said:
Suggestions for garage if the Ford dealer can't get us in?
Are you in Luray? Marlow Ford.
If not them,
HARRISONBURG FORD
3155 South Main Street Harrisonburg
Service: 888-564-2533
Shenandoah Ford
9135 Winchester Road Front Royal
Service:866-699-1865
Since it is a new car, you want it covered under warranty..so you have to take it to a ford dealer....right?
Yes.
Yes.
Just had dinner at uncle bucks.
Hoping the car can be fixed tomorrow so we don't spend the whole day waiting.
i hope dinner there doesnt make you sicker
omg_smile.gif

hope you feel better.
send him back out to wally world so you can sleep.its just down the road.

I've spent a little vacation time in garages over the years. Getting repairs done on the road adds a special little memorable extra to the trip. The smells of the oil on the concrete floor. The smell of stacks of tires. Peanut butter and crackers from a vending machine.
You have to make the best of it and find those little treats in life.
I'm joking. Sorry you're having to spend your vacation time finding and sitting at a garage!.
I'm spending my time in bed. Hoping to feel better sooner rather than later. Poor Gomez went out to get me some cold meds and came back with these giant gel caps I can't swallow so I'm not sleeping again tonight.
It stinks to be sick on the road.
Morticia said:
...came back with these giant gel caps I can't swallow...
Tell him to put the capsule all the way to the back of your throat. Then he should hold your mouth shut until you stick your tongue out.
Another option is to wrap it in a slice of American cheese and fool you into gulping it right down.

So here's my day in a nutshell - power steering went out on brand new car. 45 miles on I-95 at 30 MPH (that was traffic, not the car problems). And I'm sick. Physically. We know I'm mentally sick. ;-)
Came into town over the mountain. Switchbacks all the way up and down. No power steering.
EmptyNest said:
If not them,
HARRISONBURG FORD
Shenandoah Ford
Since it is a new car, you want it covered under warranty..so you have to take it to a ford dealer....right?
Yes.
Yes.
omg_smile.gif

hope you feel better.
Dang! I knew there was one here somewhere.

I've spent a little vacation time in garages over the years. Getting repairs done on the road adds a special little memorable extra to the trip. The smells of the oil on the concrete floor. The smell of stacks of tires. Peanut butter and crackers from a vending machine.
You have to make the best of it and find those little treats in life.
I'm joking. Sorry you're having to spend your vacation time finding and sitting at a garage!.
I'm spending my time in bed. Hoping to feel better sooner rather than later. Poor Gomez went out to get me some cold meds and came back with these giant gel caps I can't swallow so I'm not sleeping again tonight.
It stinks to be sick on the road.
Morticia said:
...came back with these giant gel caps I can't swallow...
Tell him to put the capsule all the way to the back of your throat. Then he should hold your mouth shut until you stick your tongue out.
Another option is to wrap it in a slice of American cheese and fool you into gulping it right down.
Have you noticed I am not a dog? Hmmm. ;-)

EmptyNest said:
If not them,
HARRISONBURG FORD
Shenandoah Ford
Yes.
Yes.
omg_smile.gif

hope you feel better.
out on rt 211 past the caverns
they are still open
if i knew you needed something, i have a drugstore in my house. i could have brought you something
sorry we cant get together, i am out of town tomorrow

EmptyNest said:
If not them,
HARRISONBURG FORD
Shenandoah Ford
Yes.
Yes.
omg_smile.gif

hope you feel better.
out on rt 211 past the caverns
they are still open
if i knew you needed something, i have a drugstore in my house. i could have brought you something
sorry we cant get together, i am out of town tomorrow
You don't want to be near me!

Well, now we're stuck here. Car needs major repair work. Garage is going to emergency order the parts and loan us a car for the next couple of days.
Then we have to make the 10 hour trek in one day back home to greet guests the next day.
Not a happy camper.

We have a loaner car. And they're paying for our hotel. But they're not getting me home in time to get the house ready for guests.
Lesson learned.
Always, always, always give yourself more than 2 days' grace when traveling to reopen your business.

I have gone by Luray (Caverns) many times on I-81, but never went in. Did go into their competitor, Endless Caverns once. Beautiful area.

Well, now we're stuck here. Car needs major repair work. Garage is going to emergency order the parts and loan us a car for the next couple of days.
Then we have to make the 10 hour trek in one day back home to greet guests the next day.
Not a happy camper..
Oh my..not good. And it is a new car!!! Wow...scary. We always allowed several days back before taking in guests. Hope all goes well. And that you are feeling better. Sorry I have a meeting tonight or I would come visit...but ....wait...sorry don't want to catch whatever you have
cry_smile.gif

Not a happy camper..
Oh my..not good. And it is a new car!!! Wow...scary. We always allowed several days back before taking in guests. Hope all goes well. And that you are feeling better. Sorry I have a meeting tonight or I would come visit...but ....wait...sorry don't want to catch whatever you have
cry_smile.gif

No, you don't want this!
The car company is paying for the extra nights but if I can't leave here by Wednesday with the car they're going to have to rent us a car and we'll have to go home separately which means both of us making that 10 hour trip alone in one shot.

Not a happy camper..
cry_smile.gif

No, you don't want this!
The car company is paying for the extra nights but if I can't leave here by Wednesday with the car they're going to have to rent us a car and we'll have to go home separately which means both of us making that 10 hour trip alone in one shot.
Double uGH!

We have a loaner car. And they're paying for our hotel. But they're not getting me home in time to get the house ready for guests.
Lesson learned.
Always, always, always give yourself more than 2 days' grace when traveling to reopen your business..
omg...so sorry that this happened to you!! :-( We had a car issue once on a cross country moving trip - but luckily we were in a town where we had understanding friends who put us up and put up with us.
I had the health inspector show up at my door as I was unloading my suitcases from my car after being out of town dealing with a critically ill relative. That poor health inspector....
Hang in there - you have friends from all over the country (and beyond) pulling for you!!

Mort - I am sooooo sorry that #1 you are sick. What a bummer for a vacation. And to have #2 thrown in with a broken NEW car is even worse.
I have said nothing previously as I know absolutely nothing about Luray and I knew EN would give the best advice. Just know we are all pulling for you to BOTH go home in the same car at the same time with both you and the car in good health. You are a PRO, 1 day and you will be guest ready.

So, there's always a silver lining, right?
  • It's beautiful here
  • The weather is perfect
  • I finally got some liquid cold meds
  • We're eating great food
  • The absolute best WiFi on the whole trip is here at a mom & pop shop
  • We reserved about 42 room nights since we've been gone so I know my new booking engine is working right from the guest side.

• It's beautiful here
  • The weather is perfect
  • We reserved about 42 room nights since we've been gone so I know my new booking engine is working right from the guest side.
yep beautiful time of year unfortunately, rain tomorrow. where did you find good food
devil_smile.gif

• It's beautiful here
  • The weather is perfect
yep beautiful time of year unfortunately, rain tomorrow. where did you find good food
devil_smile.gif

We're not really fussy eaters. So we've been eating on main st.
I will say we ran into a family from NY who were complaining about the food on the OBX. We loved the food. Fresh seafood. Hush puppies. Crab dip. Life is good!

Best Western! Though our family goes to Holiday Inn or camping!.
This particular best western or the chain in general?
Morticia said:
This particular best western or the chain in general?
The chain in general....never been over there.
Funny, I won't stain in that chain because it differs so much from location to location in quality.
Jon Sable said:
Funny, I won't stain in that chain because it differs so much from location to location in quality.
Best is sort of to motels what Select Registry is to BnB's. It seems like any individual can build a motel of their own design, and if it meets Best's requirements it can be part of Best. So basically, I think Best sells private motels the Best name for their use, and the soap.
I think that is why they started adding Plus and Premier to some of them. Basically their name means nothing to me, it's not a mark of quality, so I skip it. The same way that I can't tell what I'm going to get when it says Econo... so better to just skip it.
Jon Sable said:
I think that is why they started adding Plus and Premier to some of them. Basically their name means nothing to me, it's not a mark of quality, so I skip it. The same way that I can't tell what I'm going to get when it says Econo... so better to just skip it.
Thanks for the information! Our western was good....

• It's beautiful here
  • The weather is perfect
Sorry to hear about your "detour" with your car and the sickness...I hope you are feeling better soon and on your way home together!

• It's beautiful here
  • The weather is perfect
Morticia said:
  • It's beautiful here
  • The weather is perfect
Forced to relax more & rest with those meds. - Just what the mechanic ordered.
Hope you and the car will be back in tip top shape very soon and on your way.

Latest posts

Back