Magical Mystery Device My Guests Don't Seem To Recognize...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess I don't understand this mentality, BB can live in draperies, carpet, sofas, anywhere..
Yes, but your luggage comes in contact with OTHER luggage on planes, buses and places you don't realize they can hitch a ride.
Sugar Bear said:
Yes, but your luggage comes in contact with OTHER luggage on planes, buses and places you don't realize they can hitch a ride.
This is pretty much why I cringe when guests heave the bags on the bed. So, this year may be the year of the bellhop.

The one redeeming thing about luggage racks for me is that I can fold the blankets and other bedding and store all on the racks while I'm changing the linens. Don't anybody discourage me on continuing this practice. I'd hate to figure out another way to keep all off the floor.

from the guest perspective ... i stayed at a hotel the other night (shudder - one lonely b&b in the area that i've stayed at and it's not good)
i almost dropped my bag on the bed but i know better from innkeeping and put it on the luggage rack. however ... when i wanted to open it to get something out, it tipped over. half my stuff had now been dumped on the rug. so i sinned and put the bag on the bed. then closed it and put it back on the rack. tried opening the bag with my leg against the rack and leaving it on the rack with the same result. tipping over. it wasn't a heavy bag. repeat. repeat. as i got stuff i needed for the night. finally i put my bag on the desk in the room.
that is why i think you find bags open on the floor and on the bed.
are there luggage racks that are big enough and strong enough to accommodate a standard size full suitcase open for use? it wasn't heavy, honest, i lugged it around with no problem.
so ... if i wanted to dry something and i wasn't using the rack, i suppose i might think ... hmmm ... i'll just rinse out these unmentionables and dry them on that little rack over there. ((no, i wouldn't really do that)

I think, unless they are very well seasoned travelers, many people probably just don't recognize the luggage rack for what it is. Chances are that most people do not have one in their own home (do you? your guest rooms don't count!) -- So where do people put their suitcase when they are packing for their trip? On their bed! From that perspective, it seems only natural for them to put their luggage on the bed when they arrive at their travel accommodation....

It's funny, our guests don't put them on the bed, they put them on the floor, and on the sofa. One room has an old trunk to use as a luggage rack. Nope, they put them on the floor and their crap is all strewn all over the place. I never see them on the bed.

It's funny, our guests don't put them on the bed, they put them on the floor, and on the sofa. One room has an old trunk to use as a luggage rack. Nope, they put them on the floor and their crap is all strewn all over the place. I never see them on the bed..
Breakfast Diva said:
I never see them on the bed.
Yeah, but...I've arrived in many hotels where I put it on the bed first to open it up, hang my clothes up, get my shaving kit out, etc., then move it off the bed so I can lay on the bed and watch TV.
I'd suspect it's on the bed a while before it's moved to the floor or wherever.

I think, unless they are very well seasoned travelers, many people probably just don't recognize the luggage rack for what it is. Chances are that most people do not have one in their own home (do you? your guest rooms don't count!) -- So where do people put their suitcase when they are packing for their trip? On their bed! From that perspective, it seems only natural for them to put their luggage on the bed when they arrive at their travel accommodation.....
Harborfields said:
Chances are that most people do not have one in their own home (do you? your guest rooms don't count!) --
For the first time in my life, I saw one just last weekend in a private home! I was in Little Rock to accept a state historic preservation award for my guesthouse project, and my architect invited me to stay at their house. He had a luggage rack in the room I stayed in, and, Madeleine-style, he set my bag on it when he showed me into the room!
I'm thinking there needs to be a big sign on those things saying "Luggage". It never occurred to me that people don't know what these "magical mystery devices" are for.
I remember one cruise I went on where when I arrived at my stateroom there was a piece of leather across the bed that said "Luggage" on it. It disappeared the first time my room was freshened up, but reappeared on the last evening when we were supposed to pack up then place our luggage in the hallway to be offloaded from the ship overnight.

My wife and I have decided that we are the only people on the face of the earth to use the luggage rack to UNPACK OUR SUITCASES and actually put away our clothing in the provided closets and bureaus for anything more than an overnight stay.
Tom

The one redeeming thing about luggage racks for me is that I can fold the blankets and other bedding and store all on the racks while I'm changing the linens. Don't anybody discourage me on continuing this practice. I'd hate to figure out another way to keep all off the floor..
Innkeep said:
The one redeeming thing about luggage racks for me is that I can fold the blankets and other bedding and store all on the racks while I'm changing the linens. Don't anybody discourage me on continuing this practice. I'd hate to figure out another way to keep all off the floor.
i was going to say "isn't that where the cover pillows go?" Better than on a chair. Some bandb's have a lot of pillows!

I don't carry guest's luggage.
Most of our guests have a lot of luggage. We don't have that many luggage racks per room.
yall must get those cute little overnight couples with a little bag.

The solution is to put a snow white bedspread on the bed. Guests would never throw dirty luggage on a white bed, would they?
Do you have yours open when the guests arrive, or folded up in the corner? I keep mine open. Have no idea if they use them or not but I'd guess that some do, some don't, and having it open and ready makes it more likely to be used..
Open. They use them, but for things like draping sweaters, pillows that they don't want. But they don't seem to think of putting luggage on them. I'm almost tempted to put a tag saying "luggage goes here, dimwit!"
That's why you, the all-knowing innkeeper, must place the bags there yourself. Seriously. We've been to a couple of places where they do that. Take your bags right out of your hands, as they are showing the room and plop the suitcases on the racks.
Place the bags there yourself ..... That's what I do ..... otherwise they end up on the bed. I meet, carry and place on the luggage racks. One or two night stays will generally live out of their bag. Guests here for longer will unpack everything into the chest of drawers or the closet and make themselves at home (at which point I may offer to stash their bags elsewhere until they need them again).
ukmaineiac said:
Place the bags there yourself ..... That's what I do ..... otherwise they end up on the bed. I meet, carry and place on the luggage racks. One or two night stays will generally live out of their bag. Guests here for longer will unpack everything into the chest of drawers or the closet and make themselves at home (at which point I may offer to stash their bags elsewhere until they need them again).
i started a poll on carrying guest's bags...

My wife and I have decided that we are the only people on the face of the earth to use the luggage rack to UNPACK OUR SUITCASES and actually put away our clothing in the provided closets and bureaus for anything more than an overnight stay.
Tom.
I always use luggage rack when I travel. Husband always unpacks his stuff and puts it in drawers. NOT me..I keep everything in my suitcase and keep it zipped when I am not in the room.

Most of our guests have a lot of luggage. We don't have that many luggage racks per room.
yall must get those cute little overnight couples with a little bag..
Joey Bloggs said:
Never. The suitcases we get here could hide a body. And every last one of them says, 'I should have just brought a little bag for one night...' Yeah, you should have!

The one redeeming thing about luggage racks for me is that I can fold the blankets and other bedding and store all on the racks while I'm changing the linens. Don't anybody discourage me on continuing this practice. I'd hate to figure out another way to keep all off the floor..
Innkeep said:
i was going to say "isn't that where the cover pillows go?" Better than on a chair. Some bandb's have a lot of pillows!
Two Euros, two shams, two sleeping pillows, and then decorative bed pillows.
I am going to simplify it, but while they are still not tattered, I'm keeping it.
I'm planning on going down to just four pillows. I have in one room, but then the set came with 3 decorative pillows instead of the normal 1 or 2.

Innkeep said:
I am going to simplify it, but while they are still not tattered, I'm keeping it.
I'm planning on going down to just four pillows. I have in one room, but then the set came with 3 decorative pillows instead of the normal 1 or 2.
Sugar Bear said:
On the bed I put 2 firm "side sleeper" pillows and 2 soft "back sleeper" pillows. None for decoration.
Anthony on Hotel Impossible also complains about decorative pillows that get laid on, thrown in the floor, you name it, but rarely get washed!
Even if you do wash them regularly, I as a guest don't know that, and assume the worst. I don't want them touching the pillows I'll lay my face on.

Our luggage racks aren't really luggage racks. They look more like little camp cots with a metal frame and vinyl sling-type top instead of straps. About 6" high, 20" wide and maybe 3.5' long. They fit the depth of our closets.
We didn't seek them out -- they were here when we bought the B&B -- but I'm glad I didn't replace then with proper racks because they seem to do the job of keeping suitcases off the floor but they don't tip over. A lot of our overseas guests come with huge suitcases that would not balance on a typical rack.
I do carry the luggage in and place it on these racks because many people just wouldn't know what they are otherwise.

Another issue may be closets. If you don't have them?.
If the closet is big enough to be a luggage rack, then the room only gets one, otherwise, it gets two. And I rather than bang up the wall then leave the luggage on the floor for someone to trip (which is a legal issue around here, for when the room is cleaned). Also it's so much more pleasant to walk into the room and have it all neat and tidy. So... I paint the wall. Not the end of the world. I keep a gallon of paint with primer in the house for touch ups all year long anyway.

yall must get those cute little overnight couples with a little bag..
Joey Bloggs said:
thumbs_up.gif

Tom.
HighMountainLodge said:
Tom
On cruises is the only time I unpack, but then we are there for about 2 weeks.

Back