make sure you back everything up

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Camb

Reaction score
I may have lost my entire booking database - from Jan onwards - due to a problem with my computer it wouldn't back up properly and when the man came to fix it, it may have wiped 3 months worth!
So this is a salutary lesson to everyone! - I am sat here trying to work out how to do a housekeeping list with little idea of who is leaving and how to charge them!

Yikes!! I just found out how great having Car bon ite is. I got my old e-mails back even. The address book is in an Excel file that I am in the process of doing a copy/paste back into the book. All my photos returned also.
And I am truly sorry it happened. I hope you are able to bet things back. Otherwise life is going to be very interesting for a couple months.

its going to be a fricking nightmare i have been taking bookings as far ahead as October 2014

You should also consider Dropbox. I use it for everything of importance. It's free up to a limit, but it's very reasonable. Download the program, it installs a folder in your Documents and when you put stuff in that folder it syncs online. You can then download the same program (under your login) into any other computer and it will automatically download all the contents into that folder on the 2nd computer. You can access your files from either computer or online and anytime something changes it is synced throughout all folders. Dropbox even keeps copies of old documents that have been deleted in case you need to restore them. It's our backup system for the office computer since it's so old it's running on dust & dryer lint. I can get into the files from home in My Documents and the owner has it as well so he can get bills that are scanned in. I love it!

its going to be a fricking nightmare i have been taking bookings as far ahead as October 2014.
Cambs I am sooo sorry. Can it be reconstructed from emails still on a server, or anything else?
It can be done its just super painful as at one point didn't even know who was checking out tomorro - the computer chap did a back up before he started but for some reason it didn't back up MYUK which is what we use - if at any point he had mentioned it was a risk I would have backed it up separately just in case - but he assumed it would back up with everything else - which it didn't
Means I have to go through
Book king .com - print out each month and then input
Late roo ms - print each month and put in
Telephone bookings - put in
Agencies I work with - check and find all their allocations and put in and double check if I have added via email any extra rooms that we selling well
Ex ped ia - go through and put all in - at least there arn't many of those.
Biggest problem is regulars who simply say put me in for the same days next year - going to be a nightmare working out what they want without being able to see what they had last year

its going to be a fricking nightmare i have been taking bookings as far ahead as October 2014.
Cambs I am sooo sorry. Can it be reconstructed from emails still on a server, or anything else?
It can be done its just super painful as at one point didn't even know who was checking out tomorro - the computer chap did a back up before he started but for some reason it didn't back up MYUK which is what we use - if at any point he had mentioned it was a risk I would have backed it up separately just in case - but he assumed it would back up with everything else - which it didn't
Agencies I work with - check and find all their allocations and put in and double check if I have added via email any extra rooms that we selling well
Biggest problem is regulars who simply say put me in for the same days next year - going to be a nightmare working out what they want without being able to see what they had last year
Oh HOW awful! Poor Cambs, better get the coffee on and make it strong! If anyone can handle this I'm sure it is you! Good Luck!

I know you do a heck of a lot more bookings than we do, but because our internet sometimes goes down, we print off our reservations and file them by date and name in a binder. That way we have the information if someone comes or calls, and we can't get online. A pain, but it is good backup for us.

K: CrashPlan, just set it up and forget it. Uses you Internet in the background to backup everything you tell it to backup.

I spoke of this recently, and it backs everything up that is NEW each evening (after running the original backup) which I have done all everything on my pc, including images. And no it is not fire proof. My worries are about losing it all on my pc, as this happens all to often, as we have seen here.
http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/portable-hard-drives/standard/backup-plus/.
We have this too. In fact, I wanted to locate something old, no longer on my computer, went to plug in, and saw DH had taken it with him on a fieldwork trip. I called and said "HEY", and he said the other back up drive is in the closet....I forgot we have TWO...

K: CrashPlan, just set it up and forget it. Uses you Internet in the background to backup everything you tell it to backup.
problem is he did a - restore to this point thing - it did it just didn't take the data base with it! apparently there was some sort of corupt file when the orginal software was installed (the software people have admited this) and it basically chewed up my computer. - has to be restored to factory settings - trouble is if I had know this i would have backed up the bdata base to a data stick before we started! - but he kept saying its all backed up - never thought it wouldn't do that particular bit which is the most important! I can reconstruct from the paper parts etc can print off from each booking agent etc a years worth and ten put it in and all the direct bookings but it will take forever! plus I can't really take any bookings till i know what I have :(

It's a relief to now have our reservation system/guest info and our own e-mail all web based. We can't do one of those web/cloud backup systems because it eats too much of our precious satellite internet bandwith. I do need to backup my photos and documents periodically and keep them safe.
Thanks for the reminder...time to backup!

problem is he did a - restore to this point thing - it did it just didn't take the data base with it! apparently there was some sort of corupt file when the orginal software was installed (the software people have admited this) and it basically chewed up my computer. - has to be restored to factory settings - trouble is if I had know this i would have backed up the bdata base to a data stick before we started! - but he kept saying its all backed up - never thought it wouldn't do that particular bit which is the most important! I can reconstruct from the paper parts etc can print off from each booking agent etc a years worth and ten put it in and all the direct bookings but it will take forever! plus I can't really take any bookings till i know what I have :(
K: Seriously, get soemthing like crashplan. It's backs everything up over the Internet and even if you do make a local copy, you still have one that's up to date. We keep all our photos on this, so I never have to worry about losing them. I used to have them on DVDs.

K: Seriously, get soemthing like crashplan. It's backs everything up over the Internet and even if you do make a local copy, you still have one that's up to date. We keep all our photos on this, so I never have to worry about losing them. I used to have them on DVDs.
that was effectively the problem - the database is separate so even though we made a back up before we started it didn't copy that - I think its a safeguard to do with PSI ie can't copy to hard drive has to be backed up separately - unfortunately we didn't know that at the time! so only had a separate back up from 21st of Jan - if I had know would have backed up separately before we started.

Back