Make them STOP!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie Innkeeper

Reaction score
Someone tell me what the heck is going on! I've gotten no fewer than a DOZEN 'robo'-type calls today. You know the ones, the caller ID says City, State and there's no one there. Do you get these? Have they become more frequent as of late? We would get a couple a day and then they stopped altogether for a long time. As of this past weekend, though, they've really picked up and I've got 12 of them so far today (starting at 1:13am, I might add!) They're from all over the place, from Washington State to Illinois, to New York. UGH!

I get them all the time. I have even received a few on my cell phone. Yes, we have had quite a few today also. Have received a few in the past at 3 AM

They drive me nuts. I have used the Comcast feature to block 25 numbers and use nomorobo to catch most of the other rob calls that come in. I report any numbers that do get through so they can catch them the next time. Of course the robot callers keep changing their numbers but the more of us who use this free service and report the bothersome numbers, the more they will catch.
If you decide to use nomorobo you should know that the phone will ring once before nomorobo disconnects. It is not perfect but it has decreased our nuisance calls by at least 50%.

We got 7 in 2 days starting Apr 1. We forwarded the phone. The robo calls don't ring long enough to get forwarded so we've be sans stress for a week.
We kept track of this last year when these were the only calls we got. 7-8 every day. Most at 2 or 3 in the morning. I had to turn the phone off when I went to bed.

These are the days I have to let the machine get all calls. People don't understand. I had a day like yours a week ago, it was relentless, I was coming up with one after another, and wanted to punch a hole through the window. Disturbed my whole routine. Phone Spam, that is all it is.

Write them down for a week. Call your phone company and complain. Tell them you know it's a scam, especially if you have an 800#. Date, time, phone number.
You can try searching for the details on how the scam works. Then keep pushing your phone company until you talk to someone who deals with security.
The calls slow down tremendously after you keep the phone company on the line for 30 minutes.
Up until last week we hadn't had one in over a year.
Here's one of the complaints I read.

The fake Goo gle calls are in force this week. i can go months and then the phone rings off the hook. Each call is from a different number from different area codes but all within our region.

The fake Goo gle calls are in force this week. i can go months and then the phone rings off the hook. Each call is from a different number from different area codes but all within our region..
I have seen enough on the forum, including some that don't answer the phone at all, that I decided to have an "auto attendant" answer (and call right back for serious calls). The robocalls/marketers, the people who want recommendations and aren't even your current guests, the people who want to book when you are on the john, seeking donations, when you are at the movies or church, the people who call at 1am looking for a cheap room for the night.
I am willing to lose a little business to preserve our sanity. The world is moving towards online, so
Imagining something like (yes I know it needs to be brief and non-annoying):
"Thanks for calling XYZ!! (can add some kind of brief plug about the B&B).
To book or confirm a room, press 1 ==> Informs them booking on our website saves them $10 (?) and how to do that. Else, can forward call to us or take message.
For directions or web information, press 2 (address, recommendations, current specials/offers, whatever).
Else, leave your name, # and brief message and we will call you back ASAP..."

I like the one (well, "like" is not the right word) that says "NOT IN SERVICE" on the caller ID.
And of course the one that says "LISTING SERVICE". I really want to talk to someone who can help me get listed somewhere. Remember, they just want to help us.

I like the one (well, "like" is not the right word) that says "NOT IN SERVICE" on the caller ID.
And of course the one that says "LISTING SERVICE". I really want to talk to someone who can help me get listed somewhere. Remember, they just want to help us..
I've been getting the fake 312 calls saying they want to email me a reservation.... NO! I don't need 100 more spam messages a day. Use my damn website for a reservation or send me an email via the contact form. Bye!

So why do they ring once and disconnect? Somebody must be making money from just that? They always use the 800 number but no one there. Ton of them the last couple of weeks AND in the middle of the night. Washington, New York and California

So why do they ring once and disconnect? Somebody must be making money from just that? They always use the 800 number but no one there. Ton of them the last couple of weeks AND in the middle of the night. Washington, New York and California.
They are probably computer generated and the computer loses the connection or it has already captured "LIVE ONE" as you picked up. Now this number is ripe for robo calls, cold calls, "goo gle" calls, etc just like opening a spam e-mail works.

So why do they ring once and disconnect? Somebody must be making money from just that? They always use the 800 number but no one there. Ton of them the last couple of weeks AND in the middle of the night. Washington, New York and California.
They are probably computer generated and the computer loses the connection or it has already captured "LIVE ONE" as you picked up. Now this number is ripe for robo calls, cold calls, "goo gle" calls, etc just like opening a spam e-mail works.
And if I don't answer will that put a stop to them---nobody home?

And if I don't answer will that put a stop to them---nobody home?
I have no idea because I think it may be real and answer, but I always let it reng at least twice to at least show an ID.

I am curious; I am on the (USA) Do Not Call list. Are 800 numbers, fax numbers, business numbers not allowed to be on this list? The penalties for calling are severe with huge payouts, but I do not know if that was only for purely residential numbers.

I am curious; I am on the (USA) Do Not Call list. Are 800 numbers, fax numbers, business numbers not allowed to be on this list? The penalties for calling are severe with huge payouts, but I do not know if that was only for purely residential numbers..
"The National Do Not Call Registry applies only to consumers; business phone and fax numbers are not covered by the registry."
From http://smallbusiness.chron.com/not-call-list-apply-businesses-69230.html

I am curious; I am on the (USA) Do Not Call list. Are 800 numbers, fax numbers, business numbers not allowed to be on this list? The penalties for calling are severe with huge payouts, but I do not know if that was only for purely residential numbers..
"The National Do Not Call Registry applies only to consumers; business phone and fax numbers are not covered by the registry."
Thanks for the link. I do see that. But if not an 800#, and it is both business AND personal (after all, for most B&B owners it is also their home), it may not hurt to register the number anyway. Some marketers may remove the number if it appears in the monthly list - the penalties are great for noncompliance. And if a live person calls, at least you can give a veiled threat that it is your personal number. That may also reduce the calls some.
I do own a true 800# (not 888, etc.), but after seeing what goes on here with spam callers, I am not inclined to use it, except perhaps for valuable clients. Why should I pay per minute to parry with spammers? And since everyone has a cellphone these days, an 800# just is not nearly as critical as it used to be.

Thanks for the link. I do see that. But if not an 800#, and it is both business AND personal (after all, for most B&B owners it is also their home), it may not hurt to register the number anyway. Some marketers may remove the number if it appears in the monthly list - the penalties are great for noncompliance. And if a live person calls, at least you can give a veiled threat that it is your personal number. That may also reduce the calls some.
I do own a true 800# (not 888, etc.), but after seeing what goes on here with spam callers, I am not inclined to use it, except perhaps for valuable clients. Why should I pay per minute to parry with spammers? And since everyone has a cellphone these days, an 800# just is not nearly as critical as it used to be.
I think there is a difference between business and personal telephone service that goes beyond 800 numbers, and this goes back your telephone service provider and how they classify your phone line and what their terms of service are. If you are using a personal phone number for your business, they could potentially decide to reclassify your line as a business line...

We have new Pana&sonic phones that allow Call Blocking. As soon as I get a pesky pest call, wham, they are added to the phone's call blocking list. When they call again, there is just one ring, and they are immediately cut off. Has made our lives immensely better.

Back