Make your own space liveable first!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dh finally got framed the little octagon window he put in our room almost a year ago. He got the drywall all put in around it and mudded. So right now we have the ladder, the bucket, the tooks, teh shop vac and all the rest to "give it another coat" he said when I asked about putting it all away.
His dresser sits in front of this window - below it. All the crap from his dresser is in a box. Ahhhhh you can feel the stress melt away...I quickly placed a vase of flowers on his dresser and said "Now, doesn't that look nice!" He grunted and backed out of the room.
I found this up there today...instead of the flowers.
2ywtgtx.jpg

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ywtgtx&s=3
http://i26.tinypic.com/2ywtgtx.jpg
One of these has to work! APPRENTLY NOT. Hm. Back tot he old method
med_window_1.JPG
I am cackling here. He's a card...
The steamer for the wallpaper is at the top of the stairs. The ladder for steaming the wallpaper and spackling is still in the bedroom. The tools are still in the bedroom. The bed is still in the middle of the room (so the walls can be spackled and painted). But the wallpaper is gone. I just got new slipcovers for the chairs and it's looking like it will get painted soon.

I've never heard the word "decrapification" before. Gotta say, I LOVE IT!!! And that's my new favorite word. I go through decrapification often. If I haven't worn it since last season, it's outta here. I parted with most of my Christmas stuff - it's easier and cheap enough to buy new every year and then Goodwill it later. I don't have storage space to devote to seasonal things. I even unloaded a lot of my beloved University of Michigan paraphanalia - that's when I knew how devoted to the yacht I really was. :) My guest rooms are well cleared out, except for the last one which I'm about to tackle. I keep it simple...less stuff to have to pick up or tie down when chartering, and less stuff to have to move and dust. My last guest room, the smallest one is currently a storage room, but that has to change NOW. Once I get rid of all of the carpet and install teak & holly floors, then the upright steam cleaner and the vacuum cleaner go off to another home, too. I often have to remind my mother to please stop sending me clothes. My closet is only 16" wide and with that and two drawers, that's all the storage space I have for myself. My quarters are quite small, but I am very comfortable in there.

I've never heard the word "decrapification" before. Gotta say, I LOVE IT!!! And that's my new favorite word. I go through decrapification often. If I haven't worn it since last season, it's outta here. I parted with most of my Christmas stuff - it's easier and cheap enough to buy new every year and then Goodwill it later. I don't have storage space to devote to seasonal things. I even unloaded a lot of my beloved University of Michigan paraphanalia - that's when I knew how devoted to the yacht I really was. :) My guest rooms are well cleared out, except for the last one which I'm about to tackle. I keep it simple...less stuff to have to pick up or tie down when chartering, and less stuff to have to move and dust. My last guest room, the smallest one is currently a storage room, but that has to change NOW. Once I get rid of all of the carpet and install teak & holly floors, then the upright steam cleaner and the vacuum cleaner go off to another home, too. I often have to remind my mother to please stop sending me clothes. My closet is only 16" wide and with that and two drawers, that's all the storage space I have for myself. My quarters are quite small, but I am very comfortable in there..
We tore off an old flat roofed porch and enclosed that area for our walk-in closet in our quarters in our 1900s house. It's been great because we did a closet organizer system. I actually cleared everything out of a dresser and am just using the shelves and drawers in the closet. As the inventor of the term "decrapification", I thank you. I'm trying to get my dh to go along with the process. haha :)

Well this dude here had an announcement after he cleaned out his workshop alllllllll day on Sunday. He told me he actually threw away a motherboard. He is still in shock over it, as am I..
LOL You don't understand...it takes time and effort for us "collectors" to agonize over throwing anything away. Every item you pick up you have to race through your brain "What could I, should I, would I use this for?" ;)
I understand, believe me. Y'all need to realize though that if it's been there for x period of time, chances are that you don't need it. I hear that all the time, "If I throw (give) it away or sell it, I just know that I'll need it the very next day". Kill me now....
But that is so true LOL I'll need it within 5 days of the time I get rid of it...it is practically guaranteed ;)
Yep, your dw is saying "kill me now", too...haha!
LOL No she is saying..... "Sears called and that bandsaw you ordered just came in. What are you going to throw out to make up for this new incoming thing?" Fortuantely I managed to change the subject quickly ;)
Haha! Well, my dh has a 3 car garage and has no room for anything else without a major clean out! I have banned him from putting anything in the one car garage attached to the second house. Trust me...he's tried to get some stuff in there! As it is, what I thought would be my area for a "potting" shed and all my gardening stuff now has a stack of ds24's boxes that he hasn't taken yet, a Queen size mattress, boxspring, and bed frame, and the lawn mower (because I couldn't get it in & out of the other garage easily because of all his stuff).
Sigh...dreams die quickly when you're married to a pack rat....
sad_smile.gif

cry_smile.gif
Our first house had a giagantic garage. 4car plus workshop and storage room. Our home now has no garage....I miss the garage
cry_smile.gif

We had a 3 car garage in the house before this one with a pad behind one bay with another garage door where you could park a small boat or camper, or jet ski or something like that. Good thing we didn't have any of those things because you couldn't get to that door to the pad! A garage was essential for him here & he couldn't wait until it was enlarged. What's interesting is that somehow everything fit into a 1 !/2 garage when we moved here & now the 3 car garage is full. It's a mystery....
With a packrat husband like mine, it's the only way to keep the peace :)

Dh finally got framed the little octagon window he put in our room almost a year ago. He got the drywall all put in around it and mudded. So right now we have the ladder, the bucket, the tooks, teh shop vac and all the rest to "give it another coat" he said when I asked about putting it all away.
His dresser sits in front of this window - below it. All the crap from his dresser is in a box. Ahhhhh you can feel the stress melt away...I quickly placed a vase of flowers on his dresser and said "Now, doesn't that look nice!" He grunted and backed out of the room.
I found this up there today...instead of the flowers.
2ywtgtx.jpg

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ywtgtx&s=3
One of these has to work! APPRENTLY NOT. Hm. Back tot he old method
med_window_1.JPG
Nice job!! The stuff on the top of my dh's armoire could kill a large person if it fell on them. I would never post a picture here!!

We added an "House on the addition".....the small house is the original, where we live. The 2 story part is the B&B with own entrance. We started building in September of 2006.
My backdoor which used to lead out to the deck is seperating the B&B from our privat equaters, so I had to change nothing in my house. Like it that way.

I've never heard the word "decrapification" before. Gotta say, I LOVE IT!!! And that's my new favorite word. I go through decrapification often. If I haven't worn it since last season, it's outta here. I parted with most of my Christmas stuff - it's easier and cheap enough to buy new every year and then Goodwill it later. I don't have storage space to devote to seasonal things. I even unloaded a lot of my beloved University of Michigan paraphanalia - that's when I knew how devoted to the yacht I really was. :) My guest rooms are well cleared out, except for the last one which I'm about to tackle. I keep it simple...less stuff to have to pick up or tie down when chartering, and less stuff to have to move and dust. My last guest room, the smallest one is currently a storage room, but that has to change NOW. Once I get rid of all of the carpet and install teak & holly floors, then the upright steam cleaner and the vacuum cleaner go off to another home, too. I often have to remind my mother to please stop sending me clothes. My closet is only 16" wide and with that and two drawers, that's all the storage space I have for myself. My quarters are quite small, but I am very comfortable in there..
We tore off an old flat roofed porch and enclosed that area for our walk-in closet in our quarters in our 1900s house. It's been great because we did a closet organizer system. I actually cleared everything out of a dresser and am just using the shelves and drawers in the closet. As the inventor of the term "decrapification", I thank you. I'm trying to get my dh to go along with the process. haha :)
Viva la Crapificators ! (well unless they are collecting stuff I have no interest in)
tounge_smile.gif

completely sidetracked by talk of wood: Is Holly a good wood for floors in marine environments? I know teak is but its the first I've heard of Holly.

Viva la Crapificators ! (well unless they are collecting stuff I have no interest in)
tounge_smile.gif

Is it crapificators or crappers???
=) Kk.

tounge_smile.gif

=) Kk.
Too many potential potty jokes...can't even answer this one.

tounge_smile.gif

=) Kk.
I think it would be crapifiers who are responsible for crapification. At least in my dictionary
teeth_smile.gif

completely sidetracked by talk of wood: Is Holly a good wood for floors in marine environments? I know teak is but its the first I've heard of Holly.
Teak & Holly is very common in marine soles (floors). As you already know, the teak is a very durable wood and resistent to insects, rot, etc. I'm not sure how holly plays in that, though I assume it has many of the same properties or they would not have been paired up together a very long time ago. The holly in teak & holly is that off white colored thin stripe between the teak strips, giving the sole that traditional nautical look. This is the only application I've ever seen holly used. I've never seen it used alone, probably because it is rare and expensive and likely used just for the accent.
There are photos of a teak & holly sole here (this is my good friends' boat): http://marioandyaisy.blogspot.com/2007_09_01_archive.html
When I have an opportunity to undertake this project, my floors will look just like this...no more steam cleaning of carpets or spills to fret over.
Ang

My daughter was 3 1/2 and used to say 'animal crappers' and we still call them that to this day. It was especially fun when they had them in sunday school.
confused_smile.gif

Back