Making People Happy - What Life's About!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnKeeper

Reaction score
We had these older guests that came every year for long stays (7-9 nights) one or two times a year. Then all of a sudden they stopped coming. But I'm friends with their son on FB and saw a post by him the other day which got me thinking about them. These are the types of guests that become like family to you. So I reached out to them and told them that we missed them and wanted them to come back for a 3 or 4 night stay on us, that we considered them family and missed seeing them. Well I got back such a wonderful email that I was sitting here crying like a baby. I'm thrilled we are at a place in our business where we can have people stay free of charge. You just never know the difference one little email/offer can make to someone's life. Financial and medical difficulties have kept them from having any vacations for over 5 years. Now that all ends in just one month because I reached out with a kind offer. Here's a little snippet from her email:
"I remember I used to count the days until we stayed at your B&B …I would be counting when it was still over 90 days until we left for our trip…I never thought I would ever do that ever again. You have made us so happy with your offer. I won't have to wish or dream when I go to bed tonight…I may not be able to get to sleep I'm so excited! Wow, life is so good!"
Yes, Ms. Betty, life is so good! Hope everyone has a wonderful, happy weekend.

Yes, that IS what life is about. You get a Star of the Industry Award. And this is not said tongue in cheek, seriously.

What a wonderful story and thank you so much for sharing it with us. Sometimes we get into the trenches and the downers seem to outweigh the uplifters.
We did something similar with guests whose whole community was flooded out. This couple was pretty devastated and we sent them a free gift certificate to come and stay for a few days and they were so grateful. These are the things we do out of kindness with no thought of any rewards. But yet the reward is how it actually make us feel.

Yes, that IS what life is about. You get a Star of the Industry Award. And this is not said tongue in cheek, seriously..
Thanks. The post wasn't to get kudos though … it got me thinking about how busy we all are and sometimes forget to be concerned about others because we're dealing with all the little stupid stuff of the day. I offered the stay because we genuinely miss seeing them each year. It was after their refusal to accept a free visit that I learned of all their difficulties which made me even more determined to get them to come. I can't imagine not being able to take a vacation because of financial difficulties and dreaming about the vacations I used to take; dreaming of my favorite place that I can't go anymore. Feels good to make someone's dream come true. My husband used to say that he wanted to win the lottery to become a secret Santa, just going around doing nice things for people for no reason but to make them happy. I guess today I was Mrs. Claus with the free vacation and it felt soooooo good.

So glad you could do this.
regular_smile.gif

Yes, that IS what life is about. You get a Star of the Industry Award. And this is not said tongue in cheek, seriously..
Thanks. The post wasn't to get kudos though … it got me thinking about how busy we all are and sometimes forget to be concerned about others because we're dealing with all the little stupid stuff of the day. I offered the stay because we genuinely miss seeing them each year. It was after their refusal to accept a free visit that I learned of all their difficulties which made me even more determined to get them to come. I can't imagine not being able to take a vacation because of financial difficulties and dreaming about the vacations I used to take; dreaming of my favorite place that I can't go anymore. Feels good to make someone's dream come true. My husband used to say that he wanted to win the lottery to become a secret Santa, just going around doing nice things for people for no reason but to make them happy. I guess today I was Mrs. Claus with the free vacation and it felt soooooo good.
I, possibly more than anyone, understands that. I worked 2 jobs so Himself could have his dream of going to art school. It is not often we have the opportunity to give someone their dream.
And like Diva, we were spared during weather disasters here twice - we did not lose electricity - and were able to provide rooms to families who DID lose power. One was a family with 2 toddlers under 3 with a third baby due in a couple months when temps were in the high 90s and humidity to match. It felt good to help. And without doubt I have been blessed in return.

What a wonderful story and thank you so much for sharing it with us. Sometimes we get into the trenches and the downers seem to outweigh the uplifters.
We did something similar with guests whose whole community was flooded out. This couple was pretty devastated and we sent them a free gift certificate to come and stay for a few days and they were so grateful. These are the things we do out of kindness with no thought of any rewards. But yet the reward is how it actually make us feel..
What a nice gesture; I can't imagine being flooded out and dealing with all of that. It's such a great feeling to give for no reason but to make someone happy.

thumbs_up.gif
Like!
heart.gif
Loved! * * * * * 5 stars! May God richly bless you for blessing someone else, MtnKeeper, Gullim, and Diva!

You have a big heart. I hope I'll remember this and rise to the occasion when it's my turn.

Thanks for sharing.

Beautiful story. Thanks so much for sharing...

Lovely and such an inspiration and reminder of why we do what we do. Thank you for sharing.

And the best part is that you will go to bed tonight with a warm heart and smile on your face. A gift from the heart is a precious reminder of our humanity. I hope your kindness comes back to you threefold...a very nice thing to do!

Back