Maps Scam

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlands John

Reaction score
There is a UK based company that phones me up about every 3 months and tries to con me into paying them to put me on goo-gle maps. They're also often vague about exactly what they do for you, but last time they tried to make out that we had to be keep paying them to get reviews on goo-gle.
All absolute nonsense and I usually string them along for a while before calling BS.
Last time the girl was very aggressive when I called her out and said ok we'll cancel your account and you'll be removed from google maps.
That was about a month ago, 2 days ago I had a call from Google maps saying someone had marked our property as closed and was this true?
Coincidence??

Wow. We get calls from "Google" every once in a while, but we have ownership of our listing, so no one else can mark it as closed without our getting an email asking if it's true. That's ballsy. Tweet to Google and tell them about the scam and they can look up who marked you closed and deal with their account :)

Wowser! I never engage with those people. I had someone call who said they could fix something on Google and I said the new owners didn't have the passwords. Guy said that was not a problem, they handled all of that stuff for us.
So, yeah, I would not be surprised by anything.

The problem is that if you are registered as a "local guide" you can make changes to Google Maps. I am a registered local guide and I update our town's Google Maps all the time. The goal is to let people that are local make corrections so that Google Maps is as accurate as possible. But there is bound to be some jerk out there who tries to make some money at it and can abuse the system by being vindictive.
It's good that they called you, though. Even though I would like to be a butthole to some of these people on the phone, I try to be polite so they can move on to the next person.

Back