Mattress and Pillow Recommendations - Guest Compliments

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, I know I have good beds but also get the 4 rating for sleep quality. I figured it out. I only have full size beds. There is nothing I can do about it. If I put queen size beds into my little cottages, there would be no room for anything else :(
That maybe part of your problem as well, LogCabin?.
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Hmmm, I know I have good beds but also get the 4 rating for sleep quality. I figured it out. I only have full size beds. There is nothing I can do about it. If I put queen size beds into my little cottages, there would be no room for anything else :(
That maybe part of your problem as well, LogCabin?
Everything we have is Queen size, so that's not likely it, unless they are used to King like I have. I know part of it is the metal bed frames we have, as they are squeaky, and rickety. Reading everything, I think I'm going to focus on new supports / frames, as I want to get rid of those anyway with something that doesn't collect dust bunnies, new toppers (bought one of these for me yesterday to try out) and new pillows (bought some of the Sobel Westex and Ikea ones yesterday to try). We'll see how it goes. Even with new mattresses I need toppers and new pillows.
Yes. Get rid of the squeak. New frames will help that. Whatever kind you decide on.
Morticia said:
Yes. Get rid of the squeak. New frames will help that. Whatever kind you decide on.
Just ordered one of these. Thinking if I like it, I'll mount just a headboard to it, and locktite all of the nuts/bolts to keep it from squeeking.
Looks like a cool product. My concern would be that it's a pretty low bed. I just measured ours and the top mattress starts at 17" from the floor and this product puts it at 14".
Breakfast Diva said:
Looks like a cool product. My concern would be that it's a pretty low bed. I just measured ours and the top mattress starts at 17" from the floor and this product puts it at 14".
I have one more bed to raise up. It's the hardest one on my back because it's so low. Once the snow melt s and the guys can get the truck in here...

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Everything we have is Queen size, so that's not likely it, unless they are used to King like I have. I know part of it is the metal bed frames we have, as they are squeaky, and rickety. Reading everything, I think I'm going to focus on new supports / frames, as I want to get rid of those anyway with something that doesn't collect dust bunnies, new toppers (bought one of these for me yesterday to try out) and new pillows (bought some of the Sobel Westex and Ikea ones yesterday to try). We'll see how it goes. Even with new mattresses I need toppers and new pillows.
Morticia said:
Just ordered one of these. Thinking if I like it, I'll mount just a headboard to it, and locktite all of the nuts/bolts to keep it from squeeking.
Breakfast Diva said:
I have one more bed to raise up. It's the hardest one on my back because it's so low. Once the snow melt s and the guys can get the truck in here...
Morticia said:
Breakfast Diva said:
We have used these risers on one of our beds that was just too low. Also on a sofa. They work great! Both the queen bed & sofa took 6 of the blocks because it had a support leg in the middle. Bed Risers

I consistently get high ratings for our beds. But I think it's a number of factors.
  • Mattresses are memory foam from Costco. It was the only one I could order from them that could be delivered but they're very comfortable.
  • Bought my cotton sheets from Costco too. Hospitality quality but I love them.
  • I have duvets that have duvet covers that are changed with every guest. I iron them, along with the pillow shams and pillow cases. Guests actually comment on that fact.
  • My bedding is all white. In my case, it puts me in a 'higher' class. Not very common in my part of the woods.
  • Extra pillows and blankets available with a pillow menu.
  • Very quiet where we are.
  • The rooms can be made nice and dark.
I think all those things combined make for a great night's sleep. One guest said that I should supply a crowbar with the rooms so that you can pry yourself out of bed in the mornings!.
In the heart of Walmart / Sams here... No Costco for at least 200 miles. :(
My wife is currently against duvet's and I'm on the fence, as the country comforters feel more 'cabin' like, and we have enough that we swap them out each guest.
We iron all the pillow cases and shams, but not the sheets currently, but we've also not had a very wrinkly issue that I can tell. We have been buying high thread count sheets since we've taken over, but have only probably replaced about 20% of the sheets so far. We have thrown out anything tattered, or torn up.
It is hard to get more quiet than in some of our cabins. One of the cabins, the only noise you hear is the refrigerator running if the A/C is off.
I'm really interested in this 'pillow menu'. Don't know how that would work, as once they check in, we leave them alone unless they request service, but I like the idea.
How's the 'all white' with replacement issues?
I have the luxury of only four rooms, so I can easily change up the pillows. I put firm on them for everyday and I have medium and soft to switch to for them, although my shams are soft and they're almost identical to my pillow cases so most guests will just use a combination of the both. My SIL, who travels quite a bit, says some hotels will tie sets together with a small card attached to them to let the guests know what they are (firm,med. soft). That might work for you. At least you know that if they're still tied up, you don't need to switch the pillowcases. As for the white bedding, no issues so far. I give a quick check of the bedding in case of any spots, pretreat those, and use oxy in all my washes. Very rarely do I need to do a second wash on anything. Usually it's because I've rushed through it and missed something. I know you have cabins but white looks very spa-like and looks hygienic. Plus, people associate white bedding with five-star hotels and there's nothing wrong with bringing yourself up a notch. More than one guest has said that I've 'raised the bar' for the B&Bs in the area.
2cat_lady said:
I have the luxury of only four rooms, so I can easily change up the pillows. I put firm on them for everyday and I have medium and soft to switch to for them, although my shams are soft and they're almost identical to my pillow cases so most guests will just use a combination of the both. My SIL, who travels quite a bit, says some hotels will tie sets together with a small card attached to them to let the guests know what they are (firm,med. soft). That might work for you. At least you know that if they're still tied up, you don't need to switch the pillowcases. As for the white bedding, no issues so far. I give a quick check of the bedding in case of any spots, pretreat those, and use oxy in all my washes. Very rarely do I need to do a second wash on anything. Usually it's because I've rushed through it and missed something. I know you have cabins but white looks very spa-like and looks hygienic. Plus, people associate white bedding with five-star hotels and there's nothing wrong with bringing yourself up a notch. More than one guest has said that I've 'raised the bar' for the B&Bs in the area.
2CL I will pay you to break up your paragraph... I would hate to not read it but I can't, I can't read a big paragraph...not online anyway.
shades_smile.gif

Noted.
Sorry, I hate when the boxes get smaller with each reply.
2cat_lady said:
Noted.
Sorry, I hate when the boxes get smaller with each reply.
You can change that. It's a setting. You have to set how you want to view the posts.
Bottom of the list of posts in a thread. There are several options for viewing comments.
I set mine for flat list - expanded. And view newest first. Then save the settings.
It's harder to follow if there are a lot of responses to one comment but the legibility is much better as the boxes don't shrink.
How easy was that! Thanks.

Local is good for mattresses. Generally they will help out with problems. Always cover the mattress entirely with some sort of shield against bugs and moisture.
Pillows - best pillows ever are from a place in Vegas. Sobel Westex. Sahara nights. Seriously. I hate hotel pillows but these are wonderful. Going to contact them in a few months to see how much the direct price is.
But Jon is right. You can rarely please enough guests on the sleep aspect. I'd worry if you were getting specific complaints about lumps or whatever. It could be something other than the bed, too. Too bright, too noisy, too hot, too cold, whatever. If you have guests you can ask, that's the way to go..
Morticia said:
Pillows - best pillows ever are from a place in Vegas. Sobel Westex. Sahara nights. Seriously. I hate hotel pillows but these are wonderful. Going to contact them in a few months to see how much the direct price is.
Which ones? I see 6 different types available on the website.

Local is good for mattresses. Generally they will help out with problems. Always cover the mattress entirely with some sort of shield against bugs and moisture.
But Jon is right. You can rarely please enough guests on the sleep aspect. I'd worry if you were getting specific complaints about lumps or whatever. It could be something other than the bed, too. Too bright, too noisy, too hot, too cold, whatever. If you have guests you can ask, that's the way to go..
Morticia said:
Arks said:
Morticia said:
This one: Sahara Nights. I only found one.

Morticia said:
Just got these in the mail today... OMG. These are awesome. Need to wash / sleep on them, but the initial feeling is I would absolutely have bought these had I felt them in the store.
I also have a 20% off coupon that came in the email today. Today only FEBSALE20
Just great! I ordered 4 pillows and 2 robes to check them out and used the code. Thanks for sharing that.

Morticia said:
Arks said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Order placed. 4 for guest beds and 2 for my own bed. I'll evaluate before ordering more. Thanks for the discount code, LogCabin!

Mort, you didn't see the $80 ones? I'll bet they're really great, but it did say Saharas are their most popular.
I hated that they charged me sales tax. Wonder if they send it to Nevada or Arkansas, or just keep it!

I just noticed the "Hotel Login" button at the top of the website. Need to ask about lodging industry pricing.

I just noticed the "Hotel Login" button at the top of the website. Need to ask about lodging industry pricing..
Arks said:
I just noticed the "Hotel Login" button at the top of the website. Need to ask about lodging industry pricing.
I called and asked, and you have to buy a dozen or more items before they give discounts. I tried to get the sales rep on the phone on Friday before the sale ran out but no luck. Instead I went ahead and ordered all new pillows. These are definitely a step up of what we've always had, so I ordered 20 of them! The sales tax thing did kind of throw me too! Must have a plant in Arkansas?

I just noticed the "Hotel Login" button at the top of the website. Need to ask about lodging industry pricing..
Arks said:
I called and asked, and you have to buy a dozen or more items before they give discounts. I tried to get the sales rep on the phone on Friday before the sale ran out but no luck. Instead I went ahead and ordered all new pillows. These are definitely a step up of what we've always had, so I ordered 20 of them! The sales tax thing did kind of throw me too! Must have a plant in Arkansas?
LogCabinResort said:
The sales tax thing did kind of throw me too! Must have a plant in Arkansas?
Only if they're stuffed with chicken feathers ;-)

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
LogCabinResort said:
New toppers (bought one of these for me yesterday to try out)
Well first night on my bed with the topper in the link above. It seems good, but the SMELL. I'm super sensitive to chemicals, and this thing stinks. The weather is too nasty to put it outside, but let's just say, this is not an open the bag, put it on the guest bed type of thing. You will have to have a way of airing this thing out... I'll update if it gets better if anyone is interested. She also said the topper was 'cold', while I thought it was a bit warm (complete opposite than normal! Crazy!) Wife loves the Sahara Nights pillow though!

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
LogCabinResort said:
Well first night on my bed with the topper in the link above. It seems good, but the SMELL. I'm super sensitive to chemicals, and this thing stinks. The weather is too nasty to put it outside, but let's just say, this is not an open the bag, put it on the guest bed type of thing. You will have to have a way of airing this thing out... I'll update if it gets better if anyone is interested. She also said the topper was 'cold', while I thought it was a bit warm (complete opposite than normal! Crazy!) Wife loves the Sahara Nights pillow though!
LogCabinResort said:
Well first night on my bed with the topper in the link above. It seems good, but the SMELL.
There's a long discussion somewhere on here from a recent purchase of a smelly foam topper. The cure involved dancing on it. Be sure to post photos ;-)

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
LogCabinResort said:
LogCabinResort said:
Well first night on my bed with the topper in the link above. It seems good, but the SMELL.
There's a long discussion somewhere on here from a recent purchase of a smelly foam topper. The cure involved dancing on it. Be sure to post photos ;-)
Arks said:
LogCabinResort said:
Ok, but they will be NSFW
tounge_smile.gif

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
LogCabinResort said:
If you read the instructions on anything with memory foam, you need to let it breathe for 48 to 72 hours to get rid of the smell.

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
LogCabinResort said:
Airing out may not remove the smell at all.
https://www.innspiring.com/node/15903
It's been 2 months. I encased the whole mess in a mattress protector.
Plus, it's flattening out and I've had to turn it when I remake the bed.
Would never get one of these from there again. Interested to know how well yours hold up. After the smell dissipates.

Hi everybody
I would like to take this opportunity to introduce Resuinsa as a new player on the US Market. Resuinsa is an established Spanish textile manufacturer with specialisation in hospitality. We have reference in all 5 continents going from luxurious BnB's to hotel chains such as Iberostar and Riu. I would like to offer everybody here a personalised service on any demands you might have when it comes to bedding and/or restaurant needs.
Feel free to contact me on [email protected]. I'll be more than gladly help you with your needs.
Kind regards
Tim Koninckx
Business Development Manager USA

We still have one Serta Perfect Sleeper left from the prior owners. These are what we use now in the other 6 rooms, and we're happy.
Kingsdown Mattresses - Made is the USA
Bed Bath and Beyond house brand pillows - Made in Canada down/feather blend - Made is the USA hypo allergenic fiber fill.

Ok, so I finally figured out how to get the site to save my password (man this site has a harsh set of password rules).
Just a quick update. The topper that I posted before is great. Not sure how I will get the smell out faster, but it took a solid month or more to get the smell out. I tried just about everything including baking soda. My wife won't sleep without it now.
I changed all of the pillows with Sobel Westex Sahara Nights (watch for a 25% off coupon in email) at about $22 each. We have been getting compliments over and over again about these, just have to keep them fluffed. I think I need to add some very thin pillows to go with these, as they are fairly stuffed, and not everyone likes a big fluffy pillow come to find out (most do though).

Ok, so I finally figured out how to get the site to save my password (man this site has a harsh set of password rules).
Just a quick update. The topper that I posted before is great. Not sure how I will get the smell out faster, but it took a solid month or more to get the smell out. I tried just about everything including baking soda. My wife won't sleep without it now.
I changed all of the pillows with Sobel Westex Sahara Nights (watch for a 25% off coupon in email) at about $22 each. We have been getting compliments over and over again about these, just have to keep them fluffed. I think I need to add some very thin pillows to go with these, as they are fairly stuffed, and not everyone likes a big fluffy pillow come to find out (most do though)..
I did an experiment last year. I bought two sets of sheets from compy. One set white one set green. What I found out was people comment on how wonderful my white sheets were so soft . But on the green sheets same company just 2 people comment on the sheets feeling good. So lesson I learned is people feel white is lux.
I also have 3 kinds of pillows for my guest to pick from. From memory foam, to cool wicking ones to a mixture of solid foam and lose fluffy stuffing. Also hard medium and soft.
I have a great mattress by Serta and it is made for people that have allergy's, put a 2 inch topper on it and encased both the mattress and the 2 inch topper. Then the mattress cover goes over both It is really fluffy and made with heavy damask that has wicking material to keep them from getting to hot.
But if I have a person with a lot of allergies every thing comes off and they sleep with only to increase mattress and cover.
But cannot pick up mattress to flip without taking it all part. Which is done once a month to vacuum and blue light to kill anything around( I hope!) the railings and wipe down every thing. then put it all back again.

I changed all of the pillows with Sobel Westex Sahara Nights (watch for a 25% off coupon in email) at about $22 each. We have been getting compliments over and over again about these, just have to keep them fluffed. I think I need to add some very thin pillows to go with these, as they are fairly stuffed, and not everyone likes a big fluffy pillow come to find out (most do though)..
I did an experiment last year. I bought two sets of sheets from compy. One set white one set green. What I found out was people comment on how wonderful my white sheets were so soft . But on the green sheets same company just 2 people comment on the sheets feeling good. So lesson I learned is people feel white is lux.
I also have 3 kinds of pillows for my guest to pick from. From memory foam, to cool wicking ones to a mixture of solid foam and lose fluffy stuffing. Also hard medium and soft.
I have a great mattress by Serta and it is made for people that have allergy's, put a 2 inch topper on it and encased both the mattress and the 2 inch topper. Then the mattress cover goes over both It is really fluffy and made with heavy damask that has wicking material to keep them from getting to hot.
But if I have a person with a lot of allergies every thing comes off and they sleep with only to increase mattress and cover.
But cannot pick up mattress to flip without taking it all part. Which is done once a month to vacuum and blue light to kill anything around( I hope!) the railings and wipe down every thing. then put it all back again.
"I did an experiment last year. I bought two sets of sheets from compy. One set white one set green. What I found out was people comment on how wonderful my white sheets were so soft . But on the green sheets same company just 2 people comment on the sheets feeling good. So lesson I learned is people feel white is lux."
But I have people comment about the soft sheets one day and the very next day people don't comment. Same sheets. Same bed.
So I am not sure this test is very accurate.

Back