Midnight ramblers - what would you have done?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May I say that I agree with undersea and BD. I also think that your husband gave that voucher freely and without being asked
It was not your fault that the restaurant was closed. I think it's nice that you wanted to make them feel better, but really, they will not remember that they had a good time, they will associate their visit with her getting sick.
Also, there is a wave of people about now, that count on "getting" something. We try to placate guests/people/customers now for things that are out of our control, in fear of getting a bad review. I feel bullied. I feel the entire service industry is being bullied by that "power". "My towels were the wrong color, I want a free night."

I think you gave away something that will cost you money later, when they want to stay and you could have rented the room to a paying guest.
And in the end, it is all an individual decision. A case by case thing.

Beachie, there is no right or wrong way to handle that situation. You have to go by your gut.
You are not responsible for the sickness. It could have been bad food or it could have been too rich for them. Regardless, you are not responsible.
We have done the same as you a few times. It is an act of good will and one that will not be forgotten even if it goes unused.
Not knowing how your voucher is worded, the advice by undersea is valuable. If you are going to offer a voucher for a future stay it needs to come with some restrictions and a time limit in which to use..
Copperhead said:
Beachie, there is no right or wrong way to handle that situation. You have to go by your gut.
You are not responsible for the sickness. It could have been bad food or it could have been too rich for them. Regardless, you are not responsible.
We have done the same as you a few times. It is an act of good will and one that will not be forgotten even if it goes unused.
Not knowing how your voucher is worded, the advice by undersea is valuable. If you are going to offer a voucher for a future stay it needs to come with some restrictions and a time limit in which to use.
We offered a $50 return voucher, use within one year, for guests who were subjected to surprise construction work at the house next door. Jack hammering commenced at 7 am and went on thru breakfast.
No one asked and only one returned.
Even if I wasn't going to use it, if I were on the receiving end, I would have considered it a thoughtful gesture for something the innkeeper had no control over.

Back