More Bed Upgrade Questions!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
REALLY appreciate your insights. The motel rooms are good sized, and have two fulls each. Queens would fit also no problem. We have a queen, and feel cramped in a full, which is why I am thinking of the upgrade. Some of the beds badly need replacing, others I could shift around. Good idea about the foam toppers, but some are sagging. Perhaps only some rooms will be queens.
We could add a door between two rooms, a good idea. Lots of people were asking for mini-fridge and microwaves--not too sure about that, will investigate code.
For now I could open the motel and use it no problem. I worked on some big time deep cleaning last year. Some rooms need some re-paint and minor repairs, not too much.
One of the merchants mentioned has a wavy stripe chenille spread in colors which would work for both rooms and are close to the originals. I like it, and may buy a couple to try now and see how they wash before I invest. The existing spreads were puckered from drying..
I would change out a few of the rooms to two queens, and keep some others as two fulls. I won't book with less than a queen, either - although I don't have the travelling with kids situation. Our room with two fulls books surprisingly well for two singles (not a couple) or for people used to a king bed. You might keep track for a season and see how the bookings go for each type before changing more of them. When we bought this inn, we had 1/2 queens and 1/2 fulls. We put queens in two of the rooms right away, then changed out mattresses two at a time over the next few years. Most of the mattresses here were at least 15 years old.
We did that as well. Started slow and first to go was a double. We made the room a queen and bookings went up. One queen room we made a king but that didn't see the same jump as going from double to queen did. We did it because we kept getting hang ups when we said we didn't have any king beds.

REALLY appreciate your insights. The motel rooms are good sized, and have two fulls each. Queens would fit also no problem. We have a queen, and feel cramped in a full, which is why I am thinking of the upgrade. Some of the beds badly need replacing, others I could shift around. Good idea about the foam toppers, but some are sagging. Perhaps only some rooms will be queens.
We could add a door between two rooms, a good idea. Lots of people were asking for mini-fridge and microwaves--not too sure about that, will investigate code.
For now I could open the motel and use it no problem. I worked on some big time deep cleaning last year. Some rooms need some re-paint and minor repairs, not too much.
One of the merchants mentioned has a wavy stripe chenille spread in colors which would work for both rooms and are close to the originals. I like it, and may buy a couple to try now and see how they wash before I invest. The existing spreads were puckered from drying..
We looked at a place that was underperforming. It had 15 rooms and our idea was to salvage the best bedding from as many rooms as possible and open with only those rooms while we fixed the others. I estimated $2500 to get each room 'up to snuff'. That would have been all new bedding, rugs, furniture, paint, decor. Some of the beds were really bad and you could see the sags from the doorway. A lot of the beds had no headboard at all and were just shoved up against the wall. One room looked like a dorm- 3-4 beds, random chairs, and a tub in the middle of the floor. Got us thinking about what sort of parties went on in a room with that many beds and a tub in the middle of the room!

Thanks again all,
As usual you have given me much to consider. I'm thinking slow is the way to go here, test the waters and see what works. I will do at least some rooms as queens.
I actually started and innspiring notes file to keep all your ideas! I found searching the forum takes a while, so I note it instead--an idea for you lurkers out there!

I struggle with the terminology as we measure beds in a different way but I think some decisions depend on your market. Ie where I am most of our business is single business people during the week with couples on the weekend. Therefore I have as many rooms as possible take at least a 4 foot 6' wide bed (therefore covering both markets) In the rooms that are big enough I have zip and link beds (these don't seem avaliable in the US which has always struck me as odd) They zip two 3 foot beds together to make one super king. or they come in 2 foot 6 which zips into 1 king size of 5 foot. The zip together beds are used with mattress toppers and we have good reviews all round. We have bought 3 new beds this year and they have a thick layer of memory foam which apparently helps with wear and are pocket sprung. I am also trying to move away from Frills round as they are constantly being caught up. I would also advise looking at the design of the bed and thinking carefully about how easy it is to make as you will be doing it. Also I would advise against foot boards for this reason as well as putting off tall people. The main thing is to think about your customer base ie families tend to be 2 parents 2 kids maybe 3 how will they sleep? if you are aiming at romantic getaway market one large bed ie 6 foot accros may be a better choice. Also you have to look at your rooms there is nothing worce than looking as if it is all bed and no room. If your market is perhaps friends get aways ie craft courses for 2 ladies who are friends then two beds would be a better choice. Just look at each option in terms of revenue generated and your own labour cost. We also find in our two rooms with a extra bed in by covering the smaller bed with a heavy patterned tapistry it stops the bed linen being dirtied when there is only a couple using that room and doesn't show the marks from things like cases (ie 2 years no marks).

please don't buy smaller than queen.
i was advised this back in 2005 and that innkeeper in maine was absolutely right. our one king room and our two queen rooms booked out quickly ... then i had people complaining and lots of back and forth, hemming and hawing, before booking like it was second rate because the full/double bed was felt to be too small.
i found that this was the american guest who demanded a gueen or larger and would sometimes go elsewhere. european guests would take the full/double beds happily. and would often talk about the 'enormous' queen bed if that was what they booked. have only been to italy and that was in 2000, so i don't know what 'standard' bed sizes are but i found the queen and king to be much preferred here. even by one person alone. me, i sleep in a little twin, but i feel quite pampered in a big queen bed. like a queen, haha. pun intended.
i replaced the worst beds first ... and moved along from there.
and sheets! ohmy! huge huge mistake was to get sheets of different colors but only slightly .. so i had pale green full sheet sets and a deeper green queen set ... pale blue and deeper blue ... and whites! took so much time trying to find the labels i put on them and countless times thinking i had a queen set only to discover mid flip that it was a king or a full fitted and queen top.
today ... if i was doing it all over agagin, if i had different sized beds, each size would have its own color ... just one.
also, what is the deal with giant pillow cases in king sized bed sets? i had one king room but no king pillows. i ended up cutting them down to size.
i think you're being very smart to consider two rates ... 'motel' and lodge

i was advised this back in 2005 and that innkeeper in maine was absolutely right. our one king room and our two queen rooms booked out quickly ... then i had people complaining and lots of back and forth, hemming and hawing, before booking like it was second rate because the full/double bed was felt to be too small.
i found that this was the american guest who demanded a gueen or larger and would sometimes go elsewhere. european guests would take the full/double beds happily. and would often talk about the 'enormous' queen bed if that was what they booked. have only been to italy and that was in 2000, so i don't know what 'standard' bed sizes are but i found the queen and king to be much preferred here. even by one person alone. me, i sleep in a little twin, but i feel quite pampered in a big queen bed. like a queen, haha. pun intended.
and sheets! ohmy! huge huge mistake was to get sheets of different colors but only slightly .. so i had pale green full sheet sets and a deeper green queen set ... pale blue and deeper blue ... and whites! took so much time trying to find the labels i put on them and countless times thinking i had a queen set only to discover mid flip that it was a king or a full fitted and queen top.
today ... if i was doing it all over agagin, if i had different sized beds, each size would have its own color ... just one.
also, what is the deal with giant pillow cases in king sized bed sets? i had one king room but no king pillows. i ended up cutting them down to size.
i think you're being very smart to consider two rates ... 'motel' and lodge.
One place we looked at had the bedding color-coordinated by bed size. So, all of the blue sheets were king, all the yellow queen etc.
I did something similar on the 2nd go round with buying sheets. Having all the sheets the same color was awful for trying to sort them out of the dryer. (First mistake. Second mistake was going all cotton.)
My queen sheets are beige and the king sheets are white. Easy. And I always buy extra matching pillowcases if they are on offer.

I actually buy king pillowcases for my extra pillowcases. I like the way the pillowcase coveres the entire pillow - sometimes the standard pillowcases barely make it with the feather/down pillows fluffed. Then the end of the pillowcase hangs over nicely.

I actually buy king pillowcases for my extra pillowcases. I like the way the pillowcase coveres the entire pillow - sometimes the standard pillowcases barely make it with the feather/down pillows fluffed. Then the end of the pillowcase hangs over nicely.
Or you can fold them in like an envelope for a more finished look.

Upgrading beds and mattresses and linens? What would the return be on it? That's a big chunk-o-change. Yes it would be odd for a queen and full sized bed in the same room.
Are you wanting to reno all these rooms? Or just make them usable until you can get the lodge operating as well? I thought just make them nice clean and usable. (Again sorry I am am off track) :)
From my experience with hotels as a family of four we are often faced with a) a king bed with sofa sleeper or b) two doubles.
I would never change it. Me, I would keep it the same. Especially retro, two doubles would give more space in the room.
Why do you want two queens? Are you expecting two couples per room? Do you have any adjoining doors, would be cheaper to offer a discount on a family suite as such than replace everything. Now if it were the lodge or a B&B proper I would have a different answer. And yet again, I would not want two beds per room, unless double beds.
For linens - I would get what you really want, if you don't sew hire someone to do them all, it would be easy if you wanted the same size and pattern on all of them, nothing easier to make than curtains and bedspreads!.
Joey Bloggs said:
Upgrading beds and mattresses and linens? What would the return be on it?
Good point...if this is a short term, stop-gap measure and you plan a fuller upgrade later, then stick with double beds and the sheets you already have. When we first got here and couldn't afford to replace all the mattresses at once we bought some of the memory foam mattress toppers. They were ~$100 each for a double size and made the beds really comfy, and still fit standard sheets.
We've been doing one bed/year. They really didn't need it at first, but we're 7 years on now and they really do! Another point about the beds- the newer ones are taller than the 'old' style so it is less bending to make the newer beds.
you can get the half height box spring......it helps

Upgrading beds and mattresses and linens? What would the return be on it? That's a big chunk-o-change. Yes it would be odd for a queen and full sized bed in the same room.
Are you wanting to reno all these rooms? Or just make them usable until you can get the lodge operating as well? I thought just make them nice clean and usable. (Again sorry I am am off track) :)
From my experience with hotels as a family of four we are often faced with a) a king bed with sofa sleeper or b) two doubles.
I would never change it. Me, I would keep it the same. Especially retro, two doubles would give more space in the room.
Why do you want two queens? Are you expecting two couples per room? Do you have any adjoining doors, would be cheaper to offer a discount on a family suite as such than replace everything. Now if it were the lodge or a B&B proper I would have a different answer. And yet again, I would not want two beds per room, unless double beds.
For linens - I would get what you really want, if you don't sew hire someone to do them all, it would be easy if you wanted the same size and pattern on all of them, nothing easier to make than curtains and bedspreads!.
Joey Bloggs said:
Upgrading beds and mattresses and linens? What would the return be on it?
Good point...if this is a short term, stop-gap measure and you plan a fuller upgrade later, then stick with double beds and the sheets you already have. When we first got here and couldn't afford to replace all the mattresses at once we bought some of the memory foam mattress toppers. They were ~$100 each for a double size and made the beds really comfy, and still fit standard sheets.
We've been doing one bed/year. They really didn't need it at first, but we're 7 years on now and they really do! Another point about the beds- the newer ones are taller than the 'old' style so it is less bending to make the newer beds.
you can get the half height box spring......it helps
We have that box spring. The regular one was too high for DH to put his brace on - he kept feeling like he was falling off. We had ordered the low-profile but the regulare was delivered - had to sleep on the plastic under the sheets for almost 2 weeks before the right one came in. THAT was a lousy 2 weeks of sleep.

Hot! A boutique hotel in #NYC for under $100/nt, plus brkfst at Zagat-rated restaurant.http://bit.ly/hqWOSi
Just saw this and noticed:
"Upgrade from a room with a queen-sized bed to a room with two double beds for $20 more per night. All guest rooms feature high ceilings, free Wi-Fi and mini-fridges. "
Upgrade to Two Doubles.
Just thought i would point it out. Commenting that hotels/motels are not the same as smaller B&B's when it comes to room configurations. (PS this is a great deal for anyone heading to NYC!)

Hot! A boutique hotel in #NYC for under $100/nt, plus brkfst at Zagat-rated restaurant.http://bit.ly/hqWOSi
Just saw this and noticed:
"Upgrade from a room with a queen-sized bed to a room with two double beds for $20 more per night. All guest rooms feature high ceilings, free Wi-Fi and mini-fridges. "
Upgrade to Two Doubles.
Just thought i would point it out. Commenting that hotels/motels are not the same as smaller B&B's when it comes to room configurations. (PS this is a great deal for anyone heading to NYC!).
One bed to two beds must be considered the upgrade.

Back