More hotels posting reviews from their own guests

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, big companies don't always know what they're doing. We think because they're big, they've got to be smart, but...
Remember the diversification binge the big companies went on several years ago, as they moved into new fields they knew nothing about. Seemed like a good idea at the time, and everybody else was doing it, so it must be the right thing to do. But it didn't take them too many years to realize they had made a big mistake and most dumped the subsidiaries and returned to their core businesses.
Same with the spin-off idea. A few years ago it was in style to spin off parts of your company to become completely independent of the rest of the company. When Palm, Inc., jumped on this band wagon, they split the branch of the company that made Palm PDA and smartphone hardware from the branch that wrote the operating system for the Palms. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Everybody else was doing it. Within a year they had regrets as the left hand no longer knew what the right hand was doing. Palm never recovered from that blunder.
My point, of course, being that just because it's a trend among big hotels to post bad reviews on their website, doesn't mean it's a good idea!

I have a T A supplied badge on my website home page, but I would never use the one that shows the last couple of reviews, because if you get a stinker it's there for all to see in the primary window of your business.
"Openness" sounds like big business speak for "didn't think of the above".

I have a T A supplied badge on my website home page, but I would never use the one that shows the last couple of reviews, because if you get a stinker it's there for all to see in the primary window of your business.
"Openness" sounds like big business speak for "didn't think of the above"..
Highlands John said:
It sounds like a fiat from corporate. It also sounds like they have a review minder. Someone who spends their time finding the reviews and commenting on them. NOT someone at each property, but a corporate person whose job it is to smooth ruffled feathers.

Highlands John said:
It sounds like a fiat from corporate. It also sounds like they have a review minder. Someone who spends their time finding the reviews and commenting on them. NOT someone at each property, but a corporate person whose job it is to smooth ruffled feathers.
Madeleine said:
...a corporate person whose job it is to smooth ruffled feathers.
That's what we need. We should all band together and hire one of those.

Highlands John said:
Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
What, and eliminate all those quirky mgmt responses? No way!

Highlands John said:
Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
I once heard that the Sa voy hotel in London actually employed someone who they could sack in public. If there was a particularly irate customer this person would be marched out in front of them, blamed for the problem and fired on the spot.
Don't know if it's true, probably an urban legend.
Good idea though, maybe that's what we need.

Highlands John said:
Madeleine said:
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
I once heard that the Sa voy hotel in London actually employed someone who they could sack in public. If there was a particularly irate customer this person would be marched out in front of them, blamed for the problem and fired on the spot.
Don't know if it's true, probably an urban legend.
Good idea though, maybe that's what we need.
If a telemarketer asks to speak with DH I say he's been fired for talking with telemarketers. I am tempted to say to guests who call and tell me that 'the guy I spoke with before told me the price was this...' that the employee has been fired and I apologize for the misinformation.

thumbs_up.gif

Back