More pears

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm getting ready to put up some pears and a lot of the recipes I've found call for pickling vinegar or vinegar, does the vinegar taste come through in the end product? I'm hesitant to try these recipes, as for Spiced pears....
A guest told me to just put whole pears (unpeeled and just quartered) in jars and fill with a 3:1 boiled water: honey- syrup and process... I'm wondering if the peels will not be good in the end product...any opinions or tips? i personally think I'd like pear halves, no peels, seed, stems and such in the end...

I'm getting ready to put up some pears and a lot of the recipes I've found call for pickling vinegar or vinegar, does the vinegar taste come through in the end product? I'm hesitant to try these recipes, as for Spiced pears....
A guest told me to just put whole pears (unpeeled and just quartered) in jars and fill with a 3:1 boiled water: honey- syrup and process... I'm wondering if the peels will not be good in the end product...any opinions or tips? i personally think I'd like pear halves, no peels, seed, stems and such in the end....
Here is a good link with lots of helpful info. When it comes to canning you NEVER want a "do it yourself" way. Only safe and tested methods for food safety sake!
Pickled Pear Recipe

I do what I call "Poached Pears". A half pear for each guest. Cut pear in half lengthwise, use a melon ball-er to scoop out the seeds and core and then peel. Place cut side down in an oven proof dish. For each pear mix 1 tbl of softened butter and one tbl bown sugar. Sprinkle a little nutmeg on the pear and drop 1/2 of butter mixture on pear. It will not spread but don't worry, it will melt as it is cooking and almost caramelizes while baking. Bake in 350 oven for 30 minutes. Scoop pear onto a plate and pour juices from dish over pear. Serve with a scoop of yogurt on the side. Everyone loves this dish..
JeannineIrish said:
I do what I call "Poached Pears". A half pear for each guest. Cut pear in half lengthwise, use a melon ball-er to scoop out the seeds and core and then peel. Place cut side down in an oven proof dish. For each pear mix 1 tbl of softened butter and one tbl bown sugar. Sprinkle a little nutmeg on the pear and drop 1/2 of butter mixture on pear. It will not spread but don't worry, it will melt as it is cooking and almost caramelizes while baking. Bake in 350 oven for 30 minutes. Scoop pear onto a plate and pour juices from dish over pear. Serve with a scoop of yogurt on the side. Everyone loves this dish.
Do you have to peel them first?
II would think they would be too hard to peel after they were cooked. If that's the question you are asking ??????
JeannineIrish said:
II would think they would be too hard to peel after they were cooked. If that's the question you are asking ??????
Yes, but I was thinking you peeled them before cooking? I have not seen skin on them in the bon appetite mag's etc, just wondering if it gives it a base to scoop from, or really doesn't make a difference.
Yes, I'd say peel first, unless you're intending to serve with the peels on.
I made the poached pears this morning (peel and core, sprinkle with nutmeg, top with butter and brown sugar, bake 30 min) and the guests raved about them. Easy, elegant, and tasty. After they baked it would be too difficult to remove the skins. Mine are so ripe I can pull the skin off with a knife.
=)
Kk.
So glad you guests enjoyed the poached pears. My guests always rave about them and ask for the recipe. Sorry it took me a whle to respond. Been busy with guests.

Poached Pears with Cranberries
3 pears,peeled, halved & cored
2 tablespoons orange marmalade
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter,melted
1 cup cranberries, cut in half
2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
2 tablespoons water
3/4 cup sour cream
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Put pears fairly close together in the dish, cut side down. Combine marmalade, sugar, salt, butter, cranberries, orange juice concentrate and water; pour over pears.
Bake pears, uncovered for about 30 minutes, or until pears are tender enough to cut with a fork, but not mushy. Put pears round-side down in individual serving bowls. Put 1-2 tablespoons of sour cream into the hole of each pear. Pour a little sauce mixture over each pear and serve..
Oh, that sounds yummy. Since most of the time my guests don't eat at the same time I could probably put them in individual dishes before pouring the mixture over them. Guests do like a warm fruit on a cold morning.

1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons water
3/4 cup sour cream
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Put pears fairly close together in the dish, cut side down. Combine marmalade, sugar, salt, butter, cranberries, orange juice concentrate and water; pour over pears.
Bake pears, uncovered for about 30 minutes, or until pears are tender enough to cut with a fork, but not mushy. Put pears round-side down in individual serving bowls. Put 1-2 tablespoons of sour cream into the hole of each pear. Pour a little sauce mixture over each pear and serve..
catlady said:
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons water
3/4 cup sour cream
Bake pears, uncovered for about 30 minutes, or until pears are tender enough to cut with a fork, but not mushy. Put pears round-side down in individual serving bowls. Put 1-2 tablespoons of sour cream into the hole of each pear. Pour a little sauce mixture over each pear and serve.
I made a different version over the weekend since I kept forgetting to buy some orange marmalade! I used raspberry apple juice and raspberry jam. They were good but they needed something like the cranberries. I also think adding some of the jam to the sour cream would make it even tastier.

I made poached pears this week. They turned out really good. I peeled the pairs then cut in half and cored. Placed them flat side down in a baking dish and dotted with butter and a teaspoon of sugar on top of each half. Baked till softened. (put in toaster oven for 15 minutes at 350) then refrigerated over night. Next morning microwaved each half in a dish with juice. Sprinkled with sugar on top. MW until hot. Put on table when I set each place and they were eaten warm as they cooled some before people sat down. Didn't have brown sugar but think that would be good to sprinkle over.

I've done poached pears this way:
Wash. Don't peel. Cut in half and spoon out the core and the stem. Place cut side down in a pan. Pour in some cranberry juice and some apple juice (not to cover, but to poach, like an egg). (I've also splashed in a little Amaretto for flavor). Drop in a few whole cloves, some cinnamon, fresh nutmeg. Cover. Simmer over med heat until soft, about 20 mintues depending on ripeness of pears. To serve, place cut side up in a bowl. Spoon a little of the juice into the bottom of the bowl, too. Dollop of vanilla yogurt and sprinkle with granola. The skin keeps them from losing shape and by simmering them, it softens the skin enough that you can "cut" it with a spoon as you eat it.

I just Googled baked/poached pears and found several recipes. I cut in half, peeled, and used a melon baller for the center of the pear. Put them in a pyrex dish with the flat side down & poured the mixture over top. Covered loosely with foil & baked at 375F for 30 minutes & they were perfect. I served them in fruit compotes with the pan sauce, garnished with some pomegranate seeds for color. (The recipe I made called for finely chopped pecans in the mixture.) I let them cool for a little bit before serving to the guests as they were very hot!
You would have thought that I graduated from a culinary institute! All the guests loved them! Nothing special...just apple cider, brown sugar, and lemon. I had no idea that they would be such a hit....

Back