More Sillyness

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is so bizzare, I can't beleive it.
The strange thing I'm getting a great deal is:
Telephone call:
Caller: Do you have a room for the xth of August
Me: No, sorry we're fully booked that night
Caller: Oh ok. How much do you charge per night?
Me: £x per person per night
Caller: Oh right. Is there someowhere to get an evening meal near you?
Me: Yes.......

And it goes on......what's the point of asking all these questions when we've already established at the start that we don't have rooms on the days they want?.
They got someone on the phone who would tell them all the OTHER stuff they couldn't get out of the places that DO have rooms!

HJ sounds like another inn fishing for innfo. I have had calls like that, it is like "What do you REALLY want to know? Why not just ask" They are seeing who is full and then the rest is to try to get you off the track.

Telephone call:

And it goes on......what's the point of asking all these questions when we've already established at the start that we don't have rooms on the days they want?.
I agree....it's either another place fishing for info about yours and how you answer phone questions or a guest who is getting all the info from you that they may or may not get from the next place they call. They have a live person on the phone & they're taking advantage of it!

Telephone call:

I agree....it's either another place fishing for info about yours and how you answer phone questions or a guest who is getting all the info from you that they may or may not get from the next place they call. They have a live person on the phone & they're taking advantage of it!
We got one the other day that wanted us to recommend a hotel in town. As in, 'How is this place? Nice or what?'
I told Gomez after he got off the phone, 'Tell them to read the reviews on TA.'

Telephone call:

We got one the other day that wanted us to recommend a hotel in town. As in, 'How is this place? Nice or what?'
Good answer. I am still getting calls for rooms which is why I let the answering machine get the phone most of the time! If I answer, I send people to the CVB and when they press for details, I tell them to check out the TA reviews.

HJ sounds like another inn fishing for innfo. I have had calls like that, it is like "What do you REALLY want to know? Why not just ask" They are seeing who is full and then the rest is to try to get you off the track..
Joey Bloggs said:
HJ sounds like another inn fishing for innfo. I have had calls like that, it is like "What do you REALLY want to know? Why not just ask" They are seeing who is full and then the rest is to try to get you off the track.
Yep, that's it.

Telephone call:

If I am full (or sa this week out-of-town) I give phone numbers of nearby association members. I do ask the caller why they are in the area and what is their destination so I can give the one closest to what they want first. Gave one for Wednesday night that is close to the courthouse in another county should he have future biz thre - he was going to the courthouse in my county this week - said it was a case that would require many more trips. Call ended with hope I can accommodate you next visit.

Telephone call:

That is an excellent answer...if they want a hotel..go to TA!

I have a web page dedicated to events and attractions etc. to do in our area. It does get a heck of a lot of hits. It also invokes calls. When they start the call asking a question about the event or attraction other than how far is my b&b from it, I take over the conversation and direct questioning based on booking a room. Those only interested in the attraction get the message right away or say, I just need information about ......! My repsonse is that I have this information for the convenience of my guests. It is funny how many of these callers are LOCAL.

The State of Texas runs an antique railway that originates in a town about 50 miles to our south. I received a call the other night about 9:30 p.m. from some gal wanting information ABOUT THE TRAIN, not our B&B, but the da*n train!
I said" Ma'm this is a bed and breakfast."
She replied, "Do you know how I could get information about the train?"
I responded, " Call information? or how about looking on the internet. Or perhaps you could call the VISITORS CENTER during normal business hours."
Gee whiz!

The State of Texas runs an antique railway that originates in a town about 50 miles to our south. I received a call the other night about 9:30 p.m. from some gal wanting information ABOUT THE TRAIN, not our B&B, but the da*n train!
I responded, " Call information? or how about looking on the internet. Or perhaps you could call the VISITORS CENTER during normal business hours."
Gee whiz!.
"Nothing good comes from answering the phone after 9 PM!"
pita.gif

I have a web page dedicated to events and attractions etc. to do in our area. It does get a heck of a lot of hits. It also invokes calls. When they start the call asking a question about the event or attraction other than how far is my b&b from it, I take over the conversation and direct questioning based on booking a room. Those only interested in the attraction get the message right away or say, I just need information about ......! My repsonse is that I have this information for the convenience of my guests. It is funny how many of these callers are LOCAL..
I still have our attractions page up for folks along with our closing letter. The other B&Bs just don't have much of anything. It's always about their own self-promotion which I don't really have a problem with but it seems that we should encourage visitors to enjoy our sites and sights too. :)

Gee whiz!.
pita.gif

Samster said:
pita.gif
Sunday night at 9:15- guy on phone with lots of background noise wanting to know if I have room just for him on Monday. I have shut down everything at this point and tell him he can check online for what is open. He keeps asking what's open and how much is it. I keep telling him I am not in the office so I don't know.
He says, 'So I can go to the Cheddar House website to find out what's open?' Hmmm? Ok. Yes, check the Cheddar House website.
Gomez wants to know why I didn't just go look in the book to see what was open. Well, because the guy sounded drunk and because of all the noise in the background making it hard to understand what he was asking. And because he was really trying to call the Cheddar House Inn.

Gee whiz!.
pita.gif

Samster said:
pita.gif
Sunday night at 9:15- guy on phone with lots of background noise wanting to know if I have room just for him on Monday. I have shut down everything at this point and tell him he can check online for what is open. He keeps asking what's open and how much is it. I keep telling him I am not in the office so I don't know.
He says, 'So I can go to the Cheddar House website to find out what's open?' Hmmm? Ok. Yes, check the Cheddar House website.
Gomez wants to know why I didn't just go look in the book to see what was open. Well, because the guy sounded drunk and because of all the noise in the background making it hard to understand what he was asking. And because he was really trying to call the Cheddar House Inn.
I know that you want to get them in the door, but there really is rarely anything good that comes from answering the rez line after 9 PM. :-( For me, it was always a time waster or someone looking for a room for $79 or something. The guests and my relatives had my cell phone so I learned to let that line go.....
Hopefully, he'll find the good ol' Cheddar House and they'll be happy with him!

Gee whiz!.
pita.gif

Samster said:
pita.gif
I know that you want to get them in the door, but there really is rarely anything good that comes from answering the rez line after 9 PM. :-( For me, it was always a time waster or someone looking for a room for $79 or something. The guests and my relatives had my cell phone so I learned to let that line go.....
We were waiting for someone to check in at that point. And, my whole family knows THAT is the phone I answer. BTW, guy we were waiting for? Never showed. Lights on all night for him.

Gee whiz!.
pita.gif

Samster said:
pita.gif
We were waiting for someone to check in at that point. And, my whole family knows THAT is the phone I answer. BTW, guy we were waiting for? Never showed. Lights on all night for him.
Late check-ins always had my cell phone number given to them too and the guests were told that we didn't answer the "reservation line" after 9 PM.
It's just what worked for me....
5-5:30 AM came very early for breakfast prep for me!! :)

Telephone call:

They got someone on the phone who would tell them all the OTHER stuff they couldn't get out of the places that DO have rooms!
We frequently get calls like this. They have often even said, "Yes, but YOU answered the phone & the xyz information center/airlines/otherhotel/etc. DON'T!"
Sometimes, when they continue to go on & on with questions (about restaurants/transportation/etc.) which have nothing to do with us even after I've said we are full, I'll say, (ahm...fib) "Oh, I'm so sorry, but I'm in the middle of checking in a guest right now-thank you again for your call, but I really must go & get these folks settled as they have been traveling all day. Thanks again." & TRY to get off of the phone still sounding congenial...

Gee whiz!.
Lol, we also get a similar thing.
Me, "Good morning X Inn "
Caller: "Yes, could you tell me what time the next ferry leaves?"
Me, "Um, thank you for calling. This is X Inn, not the ferry dock. Do you currently have a reservation with us or are you interested in checking availability?"
Caller: "No, but I just thought that you would know since you are there & you answered the phone"
You can see where this is going......

Back