Mother Murphy's Law of Innkeeping says...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[/h1]
"You shall have 6 days of onesies to make you stir crazy, and exhausted." New people day after day after day...waiting on them to check in day after day after day. You will be a drone. All one nighters even on the weekend of 9/11

[/h1]
"You shall have 6 days of onesies to make you stir crazy, and exhausted." New people day after day after day...waiting on them to check in day after day after day. You will be a drone. All one nighters even on the weekend of 9/11.
Do we have the one that says 'as soon as you decide to take the day off the phone starts ringing?' Or, if you have the ONLY room in town, guests will still balk at your reasonable rates?

There will be nothing on the books and if you have nothing going on personally, it will stay that way no matter what festivals/events are happening in your area. BUT if there is a party/play/dinner that YOU want to attend, someone will book!
OR
It has not rained in 2 weeks. We have 2 motorcycle couples on an inn-to-inn this week and it is supposed to rain all week. We just did a pathfinder for a wonderful routing for them - but I will not feel comfortable routing them on that. It has several KYA turns and is in the mountains with several 9% downhill grades.....

I was thinking about the ol' mother murph this morning, as the first seating for breakfast were just not very lively, there can be one at the table who can put a damper over the whole meal by his/her demeaner, and yet second seating it is as if they are on happy juice! They are laughing, boisterous and having a blast with people they just met. These are the moments that I enjoy in this biz.

I was thinking about the ol' mother murph this morning, as the first seating for breakfast were just not very lively, there can be one at the table who can put a damper over the whole meal by his/her demeaner, and yet second seating it is as if they are on happy juice! They are laughing, boisterous and having a blast with people they just met. These are the moments that I enjoy in this biz. .
I told a story this morning about going to France, even though I don't speak the language and that got everyone talking about their travel experiences. Good hints and tips going around the table from people who have BTDT.

Joey Bloggs said:
"Having a room no-show for breakfast is increased ten fold if they are the only guests that morning. If you are up early and bustling for only one room, there is a 75% likelihood of no-showism." M.M.L.I. (Mother Murphy's Law of Innkeeping)
I need to quote myself on this quote. Yeah Mother Murphy you are always right, you mean ol' gal...
AND if they request an earlier breakfast. ! "But innkeeping is just so much fun!"
cry_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
"Having a room no-show for breakfast is increased ten fold if they are the only guests that morning. If you are up early and bustling for only one room, there is a 75% likelihood of no-showism." M.M.L.I. (Mother Murphy's Law of Innkeeping)
I need to quote myself on this quote. Yeah Mother Murphy you are always right, you mean ol' gal...
AND if they request an earlier breakfast. ! "But innkeeping is just so much fun!"
cry_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Joey Bloggs said:
cry_smile.gif
This was one of those days for me. But of course I didn't have anything better to do! (typed in the most sarcastic way possible)

They will call for a room when you are not available. Every time.

Joey Bloggs said:
cry_smile.gif
or they wait till the exact last minute to come

We asked the guest what she'd like for breakfast and she said "Eggs Benedict". Since it had been awhile since we'd made that, I planned a great breakfast for our 12 guests with yummy potato pancakes, over-easy eggs and homemade benedict sauce, sausage and fresh tomato. She doesn't touch her plate at all. Says the muffin and fruit filled her up. I wanted to tell her how much trouble the whole thing was that was done on her request... murphy, my a**

We asked the guest what she'd like for breakfast and she said "Eggs Benedict". Since it had been awhile since we'd made that, I planned a great breakfast for our 12 guests with yummy potato pancakes, over-easy eggs and homemade benedict sauce, sausage and fresh tomato. She doesn't touch her plate at all. Says the muffin and fruit filled her up. I wanted to tell her how much trouble the whole thing was that was done on her request... murphy, my a**.
Eggs Benedict has too many steps, especially for breakfast. To MoH a lesson, had him make it with quail eggs... now he realizes, never put that on the menu again.

We asked the guest what she'd like for breakfast and she said "Eggs Benedict". Since it had been awhile since we'd made that, I planned a great breakfast for our 12 guests with yummy potato pancakes, over-easy eggs and homemade benedict sauce, sausage and fresh tomato. She doesn't touch her plate at all. Says the muffin and fruit filled her up. I wanted to tell her how much trouble the whole thing was that was done on her request... murphy, my a**.
Can you post your bennie sauce recipe? We keep saying we're going to try this on a slow day.

Breakfast choices at our place: Take it or leave it.
Guests are asked at least three times before arrival if there are any dietary issues. If they pull that last minute crap, they're getting scrambled eggs or oatmeal. We're not rude about it, but we just tell them had we known, we could have planned accordingly. We don't do special requests. You eat what you're served or you go without.
DW's breakfasts are 5 star and we normally get rave reviews because of them. We will accommodate actual restrictions IF we are told in advance.

Eggs Benedict has too many steps, especially for breakfast. To MoH a lesson, had him make it with quail eggs... now he realizes, never put that on the menu again.
I don't think it was to teach me a lesson... you also didn't know that quail egg were made out of steel and a pain to crack !!!
Egg benedict are not that hard to do.... just the sauce that a while, and there are ways around this.

I don't think it was to teach me a lesson... you also didn't know that quail egg were made out of steel and a pain to crack !!!
Egg benedict are not that hard to do.... just the sauce that a while, and there are ways around this.
I'm guessing you figured out that the quail eggs should get cracked on the business edge of a sharp knife.

Can you post your bennie sauce recipe? We keep saying we're going to try this on a slow day.
I found this online & it's SUPER easy!
3 yolks
1/4t Dijon Mustard (I never have any on hand, so I use a few shakes of powdered mustard seed)
1T Lemon Juice
1 dash of hot sauce
1/2c HOT melted butter
Blend first four ingredients. Slowly drizzle the hot butter in as blender is going. As long as the butter is hot enough, it will thicken. If it does not, heat on double boiler while stirring.
(Don't do as I did and try microwaving *lol* I was in a hurry & wasn't thinking. But, they loved their chunky hollandaise
shades_smile.gif
)

I found this online & it's SUPER easy!
3 yolks
1/4t Dijon Mustard (I never have any on hand, so I use a few shakes of powdered mustard seed)
1T Lemon Juice
1 dash of hot sauce
1/2c HOT melted butter
Blend first four ingredients. Slowly drizzle the hot butter in as blender is going. As long as the butter is hot enough, it will thicken. If it does not, heat on double boiler while stirring.
(Don't do as I did and try microwaving *lol* I was in a hurry & wasn't thinking. But, they loved their chunky hollandaise
shades_smile.gif
)
Your dealing with raw egg! Not good.

I invented a breakfast entree that I call Eggs Benedict Arnold, for its traitorous not-quite Eggs Bene sauce. Our guests love it and it's easy to make ahead and just nuke as needed. I do the traditional English muffin topped with Canadian Bacon and poached egg. (No muffin for the GF, sauteed spinach instead. No Canadian Bacon for the vegetarian. Sometimes I use sliced ham instead of CB, and in a pinch I have used hard boiled eggs instead of poached eggs. ) The hot sauce goes over the egg and then gets sprinkled with grated cheese...I like cheddar. Melt the cheese under the broiler for a few seconds garnish with chopped chives and Voila!
Here's the sauce, although to tell you the truth I don't measure.
Benedict Arnold Sauce:
Makes sauce for 12 eggs. Proportions can vary according to your taste. Make ahead:
1/3 cup light Helmans Mayonnaise
2/3 cup light sour cream
1 Tb each or to taste:
Paprika,
Fresh or dried parsley flakes,
Your favorite curry powder
Stir to blend. Heat to serve (I microwave it on a low heat for 2 minutes). Keeps well, tightly covered in refrigerator for 1 week. Note: The curry flavor and golden color intensify when heated.

Back