My Breakfast is Apparently Boring and Ordinary

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
Well, new low... yes, that was their online description of my breakfast....
UGH!

HUH??????.
Latest review... "...breakfast wasn't anything special"
Jon Sable said:
Oh, I got the what it was. The HUH??? was at the idiots who could actually write something like that about one of YOUR breakfasts. One of mine? Maybe. Yours? Never.
You know, most of my bad reviews (my view of them) seem to come from the people in the centre! Ugh!
I hate that they had an expectation that we are like B&Bs in the US... free stuff, treats, etc. I'm going to have to increase my prices to be able to do that kind of stuff and then I'll out price myself from my other guests. I can't win for trying.

HUH??????.
Jon Sable said:
Oh, I got the what it was. The HUH??? was at the idiots who could actually write something like that about one of YOUR breakfasts. One of mine? Maybe. Yours? Never.
You know, most of my bad reviews (my view of them) seem to come from the people in the centre! Ugh!
I hate that they had an expectation that we are like B&Bs in the US... free stuff, treats, etc. I'm going to have to increase my prices to be able to do that kind of stuff and then I'll out price myself from my other guests. I can't win for trying.
Jon Sable said:
This person is just a miserable soul who can't be happy. It hurts to the core when we pour our hearts into this business to read such a back stabbing statement.
A nice reply with a sampling of what a guest may have placed before them on any given morning should satisfy those reading the review. Have you placed a pic of your breakfast on the review site? If not, do so before you do your mgr response and reference the pic in it.

HUH??????.
Jon Sable said:
Jon Sable said:
This person is just a miserable soul who can't be happy. It hurts to the core when we pour our hearts into this business to read such a back stabbing statement.
A nice reply with a sampling of what a guest may have placed before them on any given morning should satisfy those reading the review. Have you placed a pic of your breakfast on the review site? If not, do so before you do your mgr response and reference the pic in it.
I agree. I really like this idea of referring to the photo of breakfast on the review site.

I am sorry they missed the boat. If there is one thing I know about your place is that breakfasts ARE special. No you don't provide a ton of freebies, but you are in the city and these things are different in destination B&B's with so much there to see and do at your fingertips. In the cities you pay for the extras, it is the way it is.
I was literally looking at bottled water on my 5th stop for the day while waiting to check out and thought, no one really CARES if they knew all the trouble you go to just to get this stuff INTO THE INN for them to take for free. It's all in my vehicle right now (other stuff that we provide). I have a personal aversion to plastic water bottles, and I won't provide them BPA free or not.
Don't let this one get to you, they missed the mark. Didn't even stay to see what you served the very next morning.
and did I mention not one person sat on our porch or near the ponds the entire weekend? All we go to, the plants, the pollen removal, the mowing TWICE per week, the water clarifier in the pond, the seats, so we do it for us. If they want to enjoy it, then we are happy about that.
Chin up my friend. Sorry they wrote the review and missed it...

HUH??????.
Jon Sable said:
Jon Sable said:
I agree. I really like this idea of referring to the photo of breakfast on the review site.
CafeMae said:
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

I don't see a breakfast photo on TA...better take care of that!

I am sorry they missed the boat. If there is one thing I know about your place is that breakfasts ARE special. No you don't provide a ton of freebies, but you are in the city and these things are different in destination B&B's with so much there to see and do at your fingertips. In the cities you pay for the extras, it is the way it is.
I was literally looking at bottled water on my 5th stop for the day while waiting to check out and thought, no one really CARES if they knew all the trouble you go to just to get this stuff INTO THE INN for them to take for free. It's all in my vehicle right now (other stuff that we provide). I have a personal aversion to plastic water bottles, and I won't provide them BPA free or not.
Don't let this one get to you, they missed the mark. Didn't even stay to see what you served the very next morning.
and did I mention not one person sat on our porch or near the ponds the entire weekend? All we go to, the plants, the pollen removal, the mowing TWICE per week, the water clarifier in the pond, the seats, so we do it for us. If they want to enjoy it, then we are happy about that.
Chin up my friend. Sorry they wrote the review and missed it....
The biggest reason that I charge for the water... to stop waste. Honestly, the water out of our taps is fantastic. City uses osmosis, not chlorine in my neighbourhood.
And did you see the breakfast they had? I mean, seriously, where the heck do you find a breakfast with that flavour elsewhere?
WTF is wrong with people? And why do you have an expectation that when crossing a border that things would be the same? If you wanted things to be the same, don't cross a damn border! Heck, we don't even speak the same language... so why expect us to be the same?

HUH??????.
Jon Sable said:
Jon Sable said:
CafeMae said:
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

I keep on forgetting to take breakfast pictures. I end up posting pictures on facebook of the plates after the guests finish... showing just traces. I gotta get better at that.

The biggest reason that I charge for the water... to stop waste. Honestly, the water out of our taps is fantastic. City uses osmosis, not chlorine in my neighbourhood.
And did you see the breakfast they had? I mean, seriously, where the heck do you find a breakfast with that flavour elsewhere?
WTF is wrong with people? And why do you have an expectation that when crossing a border that things would be the same? If you wanted things to be the same, don't cross a damn border! Heck, we don't even speak the same language... so why expect us to be the same?
Jon Sable said:
Don't turn this into a race riot Jon.
shades_smile.gif

Stop selling bottled water. Or do they buy it for the day and pack it out with them? Bottled water says your water is not good.
I know how you are, your breakfasts just aren't boring. They aren't. But put some photos on TA to prove it. Too bad you couldn't use all that nifty lighting for a quick photo session while that guy was there...

sad_smile.gif
Shoot reviews like that really do hurt to the core. I mourn those who do not understand how things can be different from the usual. How lucky they should have felt to stay with you and eat your fabulous food.
As we say in Germany: "they are shtoopid"
wink_smile.gif
and don't deserve another thought
As you said, if you want it just like you have it at home, why venture out?

Jon Sable said:
Don't turn this into a race riot Jon.
shades_smile.gif

Stop selling bottled water. Or do they buy it for the day and pack it out with them? Bottled water says your water is not good.
I know how you are, your breakfasts just aren't boring. They aren't. But put some photos on TA to prove it. Too bad you couldn't use all that nifty lighting for a quick photo session while that guy was there...
Some people just want bottled water. I don't know why. And frankly, I use it for a little pocket change. The bottles are 10c a piece and I charge 50c. Heck, if they go to the corner store they are over $1 a piece and they buy them. I have a few items of convenience around the house. Nothing over $2, which is still a coin around here.
I don't know. Sometimes you can't please them for nothing. We had some people over from a little island just west of the continent and east of the leprechauns and they asked why I didn't bring in fancy bread for breakfast. My answer... it would almost all go to waste. Other than them, hardly anyone eats my breads or cereals. Heck, sometimes I push the cereal just to get some turnover in it. I eat the bread to keep it from going St-Patrick's Day on me.

HUH??????.
Jon Sable said:
Jon Sable said:
CafeMae said:
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

I keep on forgetting to take breakfast pictures. I end up posting pictures on facebook of the plates after the guests finish... showing just traces. I gotta get better at that.
Can't please everybody. We all do our best with what we have and what we know. Dumb reviews will fade away. I've had one and can laugh about it now---just a wing-nut.

Had a guest say that he was expecting a "gastronomically delightful experience and it fell short" - who the hell says things like gastronomically delightful anyway? You can't please everyone and don't beat yourself up about it. This same guy posted on another property's TA page raving about the pile of hash browns and bacon so I know what he considers a good breakfast. By the way, when someone gives us a 3 review, I do typically look at their other reviews and see what they like or if they are just the type to give everyone a 3. I found a guest who gave us a 3, and over 20 of her other reviews were a 3. The only places she gave a 4 or 5 were a pizza joint and a bar. That shows you what the guest views as special right there!!!

Had a guest say that he was expecting a "gastronomically delightful experience and it fell short" - who the hell says things like gastronomically delightful anyway? You can't please everyone and don't beat yourself up about it. This same guy posted on another property's TA page raving about the pile of hash browns and bacon so I know what he considers a good breakfast. By the way, when someone gives us a 3 review, I do typically look at their other reviews and see what they like or if they are just the type to give everyone a 3. I found a guest who gave us a 3, and over 20 of her other reviews were a 3. The only places she gave a 4 or 5 were a pizza joint and a bar. That shows you what the guest views as special right there!!!.
MtnKeeper said:
By the way, when someone gives us a 3 review, I do typically look at their other reviews and see what they like or if they are just the type to give everyone a 3. I found a guest who gave us a 3, and over 20 of her other reviews were a 3. The only places she gave a 4 or 5 were a pizza joint and a bar. That shows you what the guest views as special right there!!!
So very true. Hopefully the general review reader will become more knowledgeable over time and check out the reviewer's review history when in question.
Had one last year that still eats at me but the guy's other reviews cut as deep as the one he gave me. This just proved to me that it was not as much about my place as it was that he just doesn't choose a place that meets his needs or his style.

It was still four stars out of five, right? Some people seem to feel they have to give a critique - I know you're hurt but hoping you've moved on.
I once had a guest tell me how disappointed he was that I didn't serve him an irish breakfast ... (complete with frowny face)
why? Because he saw my picture with dark red hair on a tiny page on the website meet the innkeeper and assumed that's what I'd serve. Yes, I'm some Irish, but I'm a mutt ...
My website showed four different breakfast pictures and said cook's choice. Showed waffles, blueberry muffins, eggs with biscuits, french toast .. things like that. I never showed any pictures or described serving black or blood pudding or Irish breakfast or mentioned my 'heritage' because I don't identify with any. First big picture on the home page was waffles.
wink_smile.gif

Had a guest say that he was expecting a "gastronomically delightful experience and it fell short" - who the hell says things like gastronomically delightful anyway? You can't please everyone and don't beat yourself up about it. This same guy posted on another property's TA page raving about the pile of hash browns and bacon so I know what he considers a good breakfast. By the way, when someone gives us a 3 review, I do typically look at their other reviews and see what they like or if they are just the type to give everyone a 3. I found a guest who gave us a 3, and over 20 of her other reviews were a 3. The only places she gave a 4 or 5 were a pizza joint and a bar. That shows you what the guest views as special right there!!!.
I always look at their other reviews regardless of how many stars....but you read more of their reviews when the stars are low! Our one star reviewer is hard to please!

Back