My wife says I have to take a morning off!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillbilly

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have a little issue. We have a very busy property and many of you know who I am. This last year has been very difficult balancing running our Inn taking full care of my mom. We also help a great deal with my DW’s parents as well. Our kids are still at the age of living at home. We irk 7 days a week and try and balance everything the best we can. It’s been months sense I have had a morning off. My wife is demanding that I figure out away to have 1 morning off a week. Any suggestions on how to go about this? Should I give a discount, breakfast baskets? Just tell people we don’t served on Sunday’s (or whatever day) hiring someone is difficult to do for 1 day a week so I’m not sure that’s an option. I need to try and figure something out for this next year. Thank you!

agency person? if you can get the same one every week

Are the boys involved now? Sunday morning might be a good time for 2 boys to replace 1 man. AND you may be surprised - run an ad for someone part-time 1 morning a week - or heck, give yourself 2 mornings - if you take week days you may fins a Mother who could do a couple mornings a week, her ONLY time available. to work around kids.

I think the time has come to look ahead a few weeks/months and schedule a day or two off for everyone.
If you do breakfast baskets you still don't get time off. Sometime has to make them up and deliver them.
We were under the impression we had to work every day. That's not true. You have enough stats now to know what days are slow. Start marking some of them as days off. Not just breakfast, the whole day. Of course, you really only get a few hours off after all the cleaning, but it's something.
If that's not what you want, look for someone who wants to practice their culinary skills one day/week. Could be a college kid or a high school kid or someone who's always wanted to run a B&B but doesn't have the money or time. Check at the kid's school or at church.

Do you have a restaurant nearby?
Can you hire someone to come in to do breakfast one day a week?
What's your least occupied day?
It's actually sometimes easier to take lunch off than breakfast, if you have someone to do rooms.

Monday is doughnut day!!! Have The local donut shop deliver on Sunday. Invest in a bakery stand. Put donuts out Sunday night.
We had a similar conversation. One weekend day a week is his day off. I manage breakfast alone and watch the door while he sleeps in and plays golf or watches movies.

Do you have a restaurant nearby?
Can you hire someone to come in to do breakfast one day a week?
What's your least occupied day?
It's actually sometimes easier to take lunch off than breakfast, if you have someone to do rooms..
Or work out a deal w the nearby restaurant so your guests have a coupon for breakfast once a week.

If your weekends are busy why not schedule your day off during the mid-week period. Even if you have to discount your rooms for that one night a week it will be worth it to get some down time. Otherwise, burn out WILL happen and then you will really be in trouble managing your more-than-full plate!
Just tell the guests when they book that Tuesday is "cooks day off" and provide them with several names of good breakfast places. Sometimes, just having a Keurig and some muffins (that you put out the night before) will be enough for many guests. Give it a try and then adjust as needed.

Order breakfast sandwiches from a local baker or deli once a week or every so many days... We have a diner in town that we could even purchase a breakfast voucher from and send folks up there. Not too terrible if they know ahead of time...
Or if there is a local college with cooking courses, contact the instructor and ask what can be arranged...
And there's always individual yogurts, pastries, fruits, oatmeal packets (that work great with a Keurig too!)

Also, do you take a vacation?
I can't imagine running this place without out two weeks closed a year. We close a week before the season and a week after just to catch our breaths. Don't let the biz kill you.

I’m late to the thread, but know that caring for a parent while running full tilt is a delicate and exhausting balance. Two of my three average reviews are from the same couple - they essentially didn’t get the amount of attention they wanted while they were here. I didn’t tell them I needed to be gone for the evening. So first one left an average review weeks after their stay. I didn’t respond because the reason for my not being available was personal and not related to the business. Then months later they left another average review with essentially the same comments. This one showed up a couple of weeks after Dad’s death. I didn’t respond to that one either.
My long winded point is that yes - you will need to schedule time off - even if you block two consecutive mid week days every other week on your calendar. I am contemplating doing this even in the busy months this coming year. Rest for you means more quality family time - and a better experience for your guests.

If you can't get someone for one day, make it two! (or more!) You can make something ahead of time and the worker can cook it or heat it up if you are worried about their cooking skills. Got any retired chefs in the area who would enjoy helping you out? You never know until you give it a try!

I’m late to the thread, but know that caring for a parent while running full tilt is a delicate and exhausting balance. Two of my three average reviews are from the same couple - they essentially didn’t get the amount of attention they wanted while they were here. I didn’t tell them I needed to be gone for the evening. So first one left an average review weeks after their stay. I didn’t respond because the reason for my not being available was personal and not related to the business. Then months later they left another average review with essentially the same comments. This one showed up a couple of weeks after Dad’s death. I didn’t respond to that one either.
My long winded point is that yes - you will need to schedule time off - even if you block two consecutive mid week days every other week on your calendar. I am contemplating doing this even in the busy months this coming year. Rest for you means more quality family time - and a better experience for your guests..
Our two hateful reviews came right after my mom's funeral and my dad's cancer diagnosis. I did not give out any info, just responded to the complaints.

My long winded point is that yes - you will need to schedule time off - even if you block two consecutive mid week days every other week on your calendar. I am contemplating doing this even in the busy months this coming year. Rest for you means more quality family time - and a better experience for your guests..
Our two hateful reviews came right after my mom's funeral and my dad's cancer diagnosis. I did not give out any info, just responded to the complaints.
heart.gif

Morticia said:
Not much you can say when that happens. I'm with you. High road.

Closed tonight. No reservations, so, Hubby closed all the rooms on line. Take it when you can get it!

I feel your pain. Yes, its very difficult taking care of parents and running an Inn. Top it off having school age kids at home that need my attention as well. No one tells you this part of running a Bed and Breakfast. I didn't think about that when we started years ago. Life goes by so fast and kids are only young once. I'm going to have to make some big choices.

Also, do you take a vacation?
I can't imagine running this place without out two weeks closed a year. We close a week before the season and a week after just to catch our breaths. Don't let the biz kill you..
We do take a vacation once a year. So we get around 7 days a year off. But now that my mom is living with us full time its going to be a little harder to do that.

If your weekends are busy why not schedule your day off during the mid-week period. Even if you have to discount your rooms for that one night a week it will be worth it to get some down time. Otherwise, burn out WILL happen and then you will really be in trouble managing your more-than-full plate!
Just tell the guests when they book that Tuesday is "cooks day off" and provide them with several names of good breakfast places. Sometimes, just having a Keurig and some muffins (that you put out the night before) will be enough for many guests. Give it a try and then adjust as needed..
Yes, we thought about this and some will be fine with that and others will be pissed that they didnt get their full breakfast. I don't think any amount of writing it in detail for select dates will help either. People wont read it and then write bad reviews about how we didn't server them a hot meal. I would have to make sure they know before booking that x-days we do not offer breakfast.

Are the boys involved now? Sunday morning might be a good time for 2 boys to replace 1 man. AND you may be surprised - run an ad for someone part-time 1 morning a week - or heck, give yourself 2 mornings - if you take week days you may fins a Mother who could do a couple mornings a week, her ONLY time available. to work around kids..
The kids do help and will anytime I really need it. The thing is that I hardly ever get to have my kids attention for very long. Someone is always needing something. So a simple thing of going to the lake to take my boys fishing is very difficult. That's not good for our relationship. I'm really struggling with this. I'm almost ready to want to hand the keys off to someone else and do something different.

Back