Naming a place

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyxis

Reaction score
Hi!
I have a name picked out for our little bed and breakfast. Which I don't know is a good idea but there is a story behind it. I changed the last names in the post.
The Cruther Shack.
I know that could turn people off thinking it is a shack, but really it's a very nice little house, small wooded acreage, hot tub, indoor and outdoor fireplace and I think it's a great spot at the edge of town. We are in our mid 40s and our place has always been called the Cruther Shack. The wine we make is labeled that, I have beer glasses made (we also make beer) up with a beautifully sketched wood cabin and Cruther Shack on them. I don't sell our wine and the glasses were a gift from my husband, which I love.
We had 2 other families we were friends with and they were the Jones Hut and Crawly Resort. Anyway, if I could get thoughts on the name I'd appreciate it. Our last name is not Cruther and I think our last name sounds better then Cruther but... Thanks guys!

What type of guest are you trying to attract?
What type of guests are likely to frequent your area? In other words, is your general location the type of area that attracts outdoorsy or sporty type people (for example)? Are these types of people going to be put off by the word "Shack," or are they going to think using that word is cute?
In general, as you seem to be aware, shack doesn't have great connotations.
If you are not going to be serving your wine or beer, then the fact that you've labelled your wine (and beer) Cruther Shack seems somewhat irrelevant.
What about:
The Cruther House
The Cruther Lodge
The Cruther Place
The Cruther Camp
Or just "The Cruther"
What is significant about the name Cruther anyway?
Just some random thoughts.....

Nyxis said:
...our place has always been called the Cruther Shack.
I, like most people looking for a place to book in your town, don't know anything about the history of the place or the name. People make choices based on first impressions. I don't care for the name Cruther or the name Shack and I'd probably not book there. That's how fickle people are when they're looking for a place to stay. They won't take the time to research why it's named that. They'll move on to a place that sounds more appealing.
That being said, the name I gave my own inn is horrible. It's the name of the guy who built the building 100+ years ago, but nobody cares about that. Nobody can pronounce it or spell the name, so it makes it hard for them to do a Google search for it. But it's way to late to change it now. You do have the chance to change yours now, so I hope you'll reconsider.

Whatever you name it (and I agree Shack has bad connotations) say it over and over. Is it easy to say? Is it easy to HEAR clearly? (As I say in my aspiring seminars - do NOT name it the Schmidt House even if it was built by Jacob Schmidt) Also write the name down .com and see what the letters spell. I have alist of 10 names that would have been much better off if they had done that - penisland.com for one and gotahoe for another.
Our last name is Panek - Panek House would NOT have been a good name for a B & B.

Also, always good to do some web searching on business names. See the Urban Dictionary's entry on the word "cruthers".

On the Shore has some good variations on your name.
Everyone else has reasons why it's not a good idea.
If you were to stick with cruther, I would quickly give a history lesson on your website homepage where the name came from.
I'd lose the 'shack' part unless it fits the area where you live.
We have lobster shacks here. Everyone knows to not expect fine dining, or even a roof. I would not call my place a shack unless it was on the water and either very rustic or very high end. (Like the 10,000 sq ft 'cottages' that are all over.)

Also, always good to do some web searching on business names. See the Urban Dictionary's entry on the word "cruthers"..
Arks said:
Also, always good to do some web searching on business names. See the Urban Dictionary's entry on the word "cruthers".
My problem with the dictionary is that every word in there has a smutty meaning, including every name!
Back when 'look your name up in the Urban dictionary' was a thing, every girl's name had some variation on 'hooker.'

Nyxis said:
I, like most people looking for a place to book in your town, don't know anything about the history of the place or the name. People make choices based on first impressions. I don't care for the name Cruther or the name Shack and I'd probably not book there. That's how fickle people are when they're looking for a place to stay. They won't take the time to research why it's named that. They'll move on to a place that sounds more appealing.
That being said, the name I gave my own inn is horrible. It's the name of the guy who built the building 100+ years ago, but nobody cares about that. Nobody can pronounce it or spell the name, so it makes it hard for them to do a Google search for it. But it's way to late to change it now. You do have the chance to change yours now, so I hope you'll reconsider..
You are very right, I have some more thinking to do. Thanks. :)

Nyxis said:
That being said, the name I gave my own inn is horrible. It's the name of the guy who built the building 100+ years ago, but nobody cares about that. Nobody can pronounce it or spell the name, so it makes it hard for them to do a Google search for it. But it's way to late to change it now. You do have the chance to change yours now, so I hope you'll reconsider..
You are very right, I have some more thinking to do. Thanks. :)
True Story:
The more we thought about the name, the more possibilities appeared. We were overwhelmed. We finally came up with our top five, then went to the bar one night, with ballots. The winner was a winner by a mile.
Help is good.

My naming checklist:
1) Does the business have an existing positive history and/or a large percentage of returning guests? If yes, don't change the name.
2) Does the business have an existing reputation that's bad, and few returning guests? Change the name. Quickly.
2) Is the name easy to remember? If not, pick something else.
3) Is the name difficult to spell or pronounce? If you can't type it into a search engine easily and correctly, think of something else.
4) Is it unique? Will you quickly establish yourself at the top of the search engine heap when people type its name in Google? If not, think of something else.
5) Get a sample group of 10 strangers who have no relationship to you or your business. Give them the name you want to use. Ask them to describe what they think it looks like and what staying there might be like in 25 words or less. If what they tell you isn't what you plan to offer, then think of something else.
6) Call some friends on the phone and tell them the name of your place. Ask them to say it back to you. If they get it wrong, or can't understand what you said, think of something else.

The name should pass the radio/telephone test: if you say it on the phone to someone, will they be able to spell it at once by themselves, or do you have to spell it out for them?

The name should pass the radio/telephone test: if you say it on the phone to someone, will they be able to spell it at once by themselves, or do you have to spell it out for them?.
I never thought Gillum would be difficult - but people keep wanting to call it Gillium or Gilliam. AND as I always intro me as Kathleen, most people end up calling Katherine. Go figure.

If you are in an area that has lots of places, the closer your name starts to the letter A the easier people will book your place than if your name starts with the letter S.
History is history but a name is very important. Don't go for something that will turn people away.
The Manor at The Cruther Shack.if you must have that name.

A good point. I hate that our names starts with a "P" because on sites that list alphabetically, we're way down the page.
Aardvark Inn & Suites
:)

A good point. I hate that our names starts with a "P" because on sites that list alphabetically, we're way down the page.
Aardvark Inn & Suites
:).
PhineasSwann said:
Aardvark Inn & Suites
1 Aardvark Inn. Sometimes numbers come first.
And, I got you beat in the alphabet challenge. I used to tell directory builders there was no way I would sign up if the whole state was listed alphabetically! At least give me a chance and list by town!

Aardvark Inn & Suites
PhineasSwann said:
Aardvark Inn & Suites
And, I got you beat in the alphabet challenge. I used to tell directory builders there was no way I would sign up if the whole state was listed alphabetically! At least give me a chance and list by town!
Morticia said:
PhineasSwann said:
Aardvark Inn & Suites
I know! One guest told us she started at the last page since she figured the first pages already were booked. So it paid off once! My uncle threaten to change our name to Admiral Aaron B&B!

Aardvark Inn & Suites
PhineasSwann said:
Aardvark Inn & Suites
Morticia said:
PhineasSwann said:
Aardvark Inn & Suites
I know! One guest told us she started at the last page since she figured the first pages already were booked. So it paid off once! My uncle threaten to change our name to Admiral Aaron B&B!
Aaron Aaronson from Aardvark Alaska

From a guest perspective, we are still saving for our future B&B, I would pass over anything called a shack; only exception being a lobster shack. A shack has the image of small, uninsulated, possible dirt floor. I didn't used to be a lodging snob until I got out of my 20s and made enough money to afford nicer rooms. No more cockroaches in the room, bathtub rings or missing/mildewed shower curtains. I understand your desire to share a private joke with your guests but you are inviting strangers, who may not share your sense of humor, to stay with you. Just my 2 cents.

What type of guest are you trying to attract?
What type of guests are likely to frequent your area? In other words, is your general location the type of area that attracts outdoorsy or sporty type people (for example)? Are these types of people going to be put off by the word "Shack," or are they going to think using that word is cute?
In general, as you seem to be aware, shack doesn't have great connotations.
If you are not going to be serving your wine or beer, then the fact that you've labelled your wine (and beer) Cruther Shack seems somewhat irrelevant.
What about:
The Cruther House
The Cruther Lodge
The Cruther Place
The Cruther Camp
Or just "The Cruther"
What is significant about the name Cruther anyway?
Just some random thoughts......
I agree.

Back