Nasty review on TA: what would you do if this happened to you?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
welcome.gif
welcome welcome
oh my, that review is unkind
sugar coated nastiness with a bite at the end.
absolutely write a response
we are sorry you did not realize the inn had changed hands; we have had many wonderful guests since taking over the inn on (whenever it was)
we were surprised to read that you did not enjoy your meal. we so wish you had told us during dinner. (name) is a chef and bought the fish that morning; he would have gone back to the market with your complaint.
did other guests have the same meal? if so, i'd mention that the other guests enjoyed their fish and that perhaps it was just their portion.
whatever you write ...
set it aside and wait a few days before posting ... also, take a look at some other management responses to reviews for those that feel right to you.
and come back to the forum!.
Thank you for a warm welcome! I had been reading the forum for a while and got lots of useful information from here. Great source, supporting people, truly a relief on a tough day. Yes, other guests had the same fish, from the same cut and there was no smell or complain. Do you think I should mention that or it would be too much? I dont want to accuse them of lying...not for them but for the sake of readers.
I wouldn't come out and say that you fed it to others who didn't complain as these folks didn't complain until they were out the door. Nor would I mention if you ate it yourself or fed the leftovers to the cat.
It's them you have to focus on. Their experience wasn't to their liking, regardless that it was because they felt snubbed that the PO's left without telling them.
They seemed to like you, like the room, etc. Which could just be a way to blindside the review. Keep it a good enough review but throw in the zinger. Makes the next reader think. Hmmm, they liked the room, liked the innkeepers but the fish was off. That part must be true because they liked everything else.
Instead of thinking about everyone else who ate the fish with no problems, concentrate on the folks who think they got a bad meal. Everything you say to them will set the tone for anyone else reading the review.
Edited to add...everyone does something wrong now and again. (Not saying the fish really was off!) It's how we handle the criticism (valid or not) that matters. Show you have the best interests of all the guests at heart. You could say how you know they were long-time guests of the PO's and hope they will continue to enjoy stays at the inn in the future. (And a little of everything else we've mentioned you should say! Without being wordy of course!)

welcome.gif
welcome welcome
oh my, that review is unkind
sugar coated nastiness with a bite at the end.
absolutely write a response
we are sorry you did not realize the inn had changed hands; we have had many wonderful guests since taking over the inn on (whenever it was)
we were surprised to read that you did not enjoy your meal. we so wish you had told us during dinner. (name) is a chef and bought the fish that morning; he would have gone back to the market with your complaint.
did other guests have the same meal? if so, i'd mention that the other guests enjoyed their fish and that perhaps it was just their portion.
whatever you write ...
set it aside and wait a few days before posting ... also, take a look at some other management responses to reviews for those that feel right to you.
and come back to the forum!.
Thank you for a warm welcome! I had been reading the forum for a while and got lots of useful information from here. Great source, supporting people, truly a relief on a tough day. Yes, other guests had the same fish, from the same cut and there was no smell or complain. Do you think I should mention that or it would be too much? I dont want to accuse them of lying...not for them but for the sake of readers.
I wouldn't come out and say that you fed it to others who didn't complain as these folks didn't complain until they were out the door. Nor would I mention if you ate it yourself or fed the leftovers to the cat.
It's them you have to focus on. Their experience wasn't to their liking, regardless that it was because they felt snubbed that the PO's left without telling them.
They seemed to like you, like the room, etc. Which could just be a way to blindside the review. Keep it a good enough review but throw in the zinger. Makes the next reader think. Hmmm, they liked the room, liked the innkeepers but the fish was off. That part must be true because they liked everything else.
Instead of thinking about everyone else who ate the fish with no problems, concentrate on the folks who think they got a bad meal. Everything you say to them will set the tone for anyone else reading the review.
Edited to add...everyone does something wrong now and again. (Not saying the fish really was off!) It's how we handle the criticism (valid or not) that matters. Show you have the best interests of all the guests at heart. You could say how you know they were long-time guests of the PO's and hope they will continue to enjoy stays at the inn in the future. (And a little of everything else we've mentioned you should say! Without being wordy of course!)
Alibi Ike said:
You could say how you know they were long-time guests of the PO's and hope they will continue to enjoy stays at the inn in the future.
this is a great phrase to use!
this site is a wonderful resource for you ... come in, vent, and then get some input from other innkeepers who can really relate to your situation.

Welcome!
I agree...
Thank them for their review. If you buy your fish daily, say so, this is your chance to advertise your care. Reiterate that the server asked and you would have gladly replaced their meal had they brought it to your attention, immediately.
I would point out that the review violates the guidelines on irrelevant information in a review.

welcome.gif

I agree with short and sweet. I like Sea Shanty's comment:

If you want to take the time to write the emotional, heart-felt, get-it-out-of-your-system review- do it. Print it out. Tear it up. Throw it away.
And then write the Management Response. Short and sweet. Not defensive. Little emotion. I like what, I think was Ike, SS wrote about how surprised you were to read that they weren't happy with their fish. That brings it to the attention that they never approached you about it while they had the honest chance.
Welcome to the forum, though.
welcome.gif

welcome.gif
Glad you have joined us. Sorry you had to read that review, just got one myself recently and it is hard to get past them but brush it off and get back to greeting guests like you have. We can not be everything to everyone.
I have nothing more to add, just respond taking the high road and readers will be impressed with the way you handle things.
Keep posting!

You can also try burying them with good reviews, ive just had a nice little family in one of the wheeles fell off the buggy on the day they were leaving so I was gluing it back on for them. They have promised to do a good review so here's hoping.

I like Seashanty's response but would add that you wish they would have told you or the server when they were asked how their dinner was that they were not pleased as you would have immediately offered a substiute dish to ensure a perfect dinner experience.
RIki

Complaining is in the eye of the beholder.
I was with TEN people at an italian restaurant, they brought my food out after everyone else was finished. Should I complain? Look, I was with a group of professionals and didn't want to be the big whiney baby - since they only just met me
cry_smile.gif
So I went up to pay and she asked how everything was and I said quietly "terrible, the server brought my food at the end of the meal, and in fact THERE IT IS!" and I pointed. "Oh, do you want to take it home?" There was no offer for it to be comped,no apology, after all we were 10 customers buying drinks and food and paying their overdue bills. I said, No, I wanted dinner when I ordered it, so I will just stick with the glass of water she brought me, thanks though, and left.
That little story that happened to me just last night was an illustration that you cannot assume people will always complain. Most people DO NOT.

I was with TEN people at an italian restaurant, they brought my food out after everyone else was finished. Should I complain? Look, I was with a group of professionals and didn't want to be the big whiney baby - since they only just met me
cry_smile.gif
So I went up to pay and she asked how everything was and I said quietly "terrible, the server brought my food at the end of the meal, and in fact THERE IT IS!" and I pointed. "Oh, do you want to take it home?" There was no offer for it to be comped,no apology, after all we were 10 customers buying drinks and food and paying their overdue bills. I said, No, I wanted dinner when I ordered it, so I will just stick with the glass of water she brought me, thanks though, and left.
That little story that happened to me just last night was an illustration that you cannot assume people will always complain. Most people DO NOT..
Remind me to never, ever go out for dinner with you. You have the worst luck around food/service.

cry_smile.gif
That little story that happened to me just last night was an illustration that you cannot assume people will always complain. Most people DO NOT..
Remind me to never, ever go out for dinner with you. You have the worst luck around food/service.
Actually I don't.
But I just tell abou it. haha I eat out too much, we are going out tonight, to our local mexican restaurant where they know us and are super sweet. I told the fam since I didn't have to pay for a meal last night, why not.

cry_smile.gif
I'm so glad we got to have a good "spag bol" meal with you!
THANK YOU for saying this to the person when they asked. Just because they didn't do anything to make it right, it still is better to SAY something was bad...maybe it'll sink in eventually.

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I found them all very valuable. Happy to be here with you and learn something new every day! Our management response should come up soon on TA. Thanks again!

Back