Need a breakfast recipe for summer squash

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just slice it up, add some tomato chunks, season with salt, pepper and some oregano, add a dot with a bit of butter and then cover it with parmesan cheese. Nuke it for just a few minutes. I don't like mushy squash. Simple and easy to do.

Not for breakfast. But you can make squash bread (like zucchini bread). People are funny about squash (it is one of my favs).
Or you can saute it up with onions and red bell and potatoes. But that would be simply to add it or sneak it in.

Not for breakfast. But you can make squash bread (like zucchini bread). People are funny about squash (it is one of my favs).
Or you can saute it up with onions and red bell and potatoes. But that would be simply to add it or sneak it in..
Remember I have told the story about how the POs told me what was in the breakfast and I said I couldn't eat summer squash so she took it out? And then served it to me the next 2 times we were here? I thought a little julienned squash with some herbs would be nice as a side. El's recipe sounds yummy. Then you can eat it or not, rather than having it in the quiche. I have a LOT of squash. So I may just try some bread also. Thx.

Or you can saute it up with onions and red bell and potatoes. But that would be simply to add it or sneak it in..
Remember I have told the story about how the POs told me what was in the breakfast and I said I couldn't eat summer squash so she took it out? And then served it to me the next 2 times we were here? I thought a little julienned squash with some herbs would be nice as a side. El's recipe sounds yummy. Then you can eat it or not, rather than having it in the quiche. I have a LOT of squash. So I may just try some bread also. Thx.
as a casserole dish ... squash with vidalia onions? on the side?
or just sauteed this way? interesting idea ...
oooh, i love zucchini bread. wish i could find mom's old recipe. it was in an old food processor cook book.
i think i will post a request.

oooh, i love zucchini bread. wish i could find mom's old recipe. it was in an old food processor cook book.
[tr]DOUBLE CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BREAD[/td] [/td][/tr][tr]2 sm. zucchini (about 1/2 lb. total) or 2 c. grated
4 c. flour
1/2 c. cocoa
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 1/2 c. oil
3 eggs
1 1/2 c. milk
2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter 2 (8 x 4) loaf pans.Grate zucchini. In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda and powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. In another bowl, combine zucchini except the chocolate chips. Stir into dry ingredients until just blended. Stir in chocolate chips.
Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick stuck in the center of the bread comes out clean, about 1 hour 15 minutes. Cool on rack 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely.
[/td][/tr][/table]

[tr]ZUCCHINI BREAD[/td] [/td][/tr][tr]3 eggs
1 cup oil
2 cups sugar
2 cups grated, peeled zucchini
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup chopped nuts
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
Preheat oven to 325°F.Sift together 3 cups flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon soda, 2 teaspoons cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder. Stir until well combined. Set aside.
Beat eggs and sugar until light and foamy. Add oil, grated zucchini and vanilla. Mix lightly, but well. Add flour mixture and stir only until blended. Stir in chopped nuts.
Pour batter into 2 loaf pans (9x5x2) which have been brushed with oil. Or you can use the Individual mini loaf pans. Which I bake for about 15-20 min.
Bake for 1 hour. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan.
[/td][/tr][/table]

[FONT= &quot]Yellow Squash Bread[/FONT][FONT= &quot][/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]3 eggs[/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]2 cups sugar[/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]1 cup oil[/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]1 Tablespoon vanilla[/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]2 cups all-purpose flour[/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]1 teaspoon cinnamon[/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]1/4 teaspoon baking soda[/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]2 teaspoons baking powder[/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]2 cups coarsely grated yellow summer squash (squeeze some of the moisture out of this)[/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]1 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped, otherwise it is too difficult to cut[/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 4 mini loaf pans. Dust with flour.[/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]Beat eggs in a large bowl. Add sugar, oil and vanilla to eggs. Sift together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder and add to egg mixture. Fold in squash and nuts and stir until just mixed. Pour into mini loaf pans, filling half full. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. This is moist bread and cooking times may vary depending on the moisture of the squash. Cool before slicing.[/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]Yield[/FONT][FONT= &quot] 4 small loaves that will each yield eight slices.[/FONT]
(Not my recipe, so I don't want to post it under recipes)

I'm a very adventurous person when it comes to food. And I would pass on squash as a side dish at breakfast. But if it was in the quiche or frittata, that would be a different story. I don't know why....
Just like I don't particularly care for grapes at breakfast. haha!
In a bread would be great. Love the zucchini bread!
Most of the time the beautiful tomatoes that I slice as a garnish sometimes for savory dishes get left.

I'm a very adventurous person when it comes to food. And I would pass on squash as a side dish at breakfast. But if it was in the quiche or frittata, that would be a different story. I don't know why....
Just like I don't particularly care for grapes at breakfast. haha!
In a bread would be great. Love the zucchini bread!
Most of the time the beautiful tomatoes that I slice as a garnish sometimes for savory dishes get left..
I am like you, I would put the squash in the quiche, but not serve it on the side for breakfast. Squash as a side dish doesn't appeal to me for breakfast either. Zuchinni bread however certainly does.

I've been using zucchini & summer squash in frittatas and omelets all summer, and it's always popular; and Hubby & I eat it as a side with dinner frequently.
I can't say I've thought of it as a side for breakfast before but I guess I would either do it as a quick saute (sliced in half-moons and tossed briefly in a hot pan with a bit of olive oil & thinly sliced shallots) or grilled. I know you're not going to fire up the bbq at breaky, but grilled summer squash is great warm or at room temp. Slice lengthwise in half, brush with olive oil (and maybe a little balsamic vinegar if you feel like it), sprinkle with salt & pepper, then grill over medium-high until you get nice grill marks on both sides. Bring to room temp before serving or reheat in a low oven.

I've been using zucchini & summer squash in frittatas and omelets all summer, and it's always popular; and Hubby & I eat it as a side with dinner frequently.
I can't say I've thought of it as a side for breakfast before but I guess I would either do it as a quick saute (sliced in half-moons and tossed briefly in a hot pan with a bit of olive oil & thinly sliced shallots) or grilled. I know you're not going to fire up the bbq at breaky, but grilled summer squash is great warm or at room temp. Slice lengthwise in half, brush with olive oil (and maybe a little balsamic vinegar if you feel like it), sprinkle with salt & pepper, then grill over medium-high until you get nice grill marks on both sides. Bring to room temp before serving or reheat in a low oven..
happyjacks said:
I can't say I've thought of it as a side for breakfast before but I guess I would either do it as a quick saute (sliced in half-moons and tossed briefly in a hot pan with a bit of olive oil & thinly sliced shallots) or grilled. I know you're not going to fire up the bbq at breaky, but grilled summer squash is great warm or at room temp. Slice lengthwise in half, brush with olive oil (and maybe a little balsamic vinegar if you feel like it), sprinkle with salt & pepper, then grill over medium-high until you get nice grill marks on both sides. Bring to room temp before serving or reheat in a low oven.
You just hit my all time favorite way to have squash. Grilled with a dash of olive oil and basalmic and pepper. I actually made this with YELLOW zucchini (not yellow squash)I bought at our farmer's market and it was to die for! I am going back monday to see if the dude has any more from his garden.
I don't bring to room temp I just toss it down my dial.
The other half (it was a huge zucchini) I steamed and threw into some spaghetti bolognese.

I can't say I've thought of it as a side for breakfast before but I guess I would either do it as a quick saute (sliced in half-moons and tossed briefly in a hot pan with a bit of olive oil & thinly sliced shallots) or grilled. I know you're not going to fire up the bbq at breaky, but grilled summer squash is great warm or at room temp. Slice lengthwise in half, brush with olive oil (and maybe a little balsamic vinegar if you feel like it), sprinkle with salt & pepper, then grill over medium-high until you get nice grill marks on both sides. Bring to room temp before serving or reheat in a low oven..
happyjacks said:
You just hit my all time favorite way to have squash. Grilled with a dash of olive oil and basalmic and pepper. I actually made this with YELLOW zucchini (not yellow squash)I bought at our farmer's market and it was to die for! I am going back monday to see if the dude has any more from his garden.
I don't bring to room temp I just toss it down my dial.
The other half (it was a huge zucchini) I steamed and threw into some spaghetti bolognese.
Sorry, when I said bring to room temp, I meant if Bree grills the zucchini the night before, she can refrigerate it overnight then bring to room temp (or reheat in a low oven) for breakfast service.
I love just about any veggie on the grill!

We had a lot of it for dinner tonight. Hubs filled the plates and I went to take a bite, it looked SO good, and I realized, NO, I can't eat this, it makes me sick. Oh well. His daughter is here with dh and gs (grandson). We put them up at a different inn, we're full and it's easier this way. Summer, I tell ya. No time for family to visit.

[FONT= &quot]2 cups coarsely grated yellow summer squash (squeeze some of the moisture out of this)[/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]1 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped, otherwise it is too difficult to cut[/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 4 mini loaf pans. Dust with flour.[/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]Beat eggs in a large bowl. Add sugar, oil and vanilla to eggs. Sift together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder and add to egg mixture. Fold in squash and nuts and stir until just mixed. Pour into mini loaf pans, filling half full. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. This is moist bread and cooking times may vary depending on the moisture of the squash. Cool before slicing.[/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]Yield[/FONT][FONT= &quot] 4 small loaves that will each yield eight slices.[/FONT]
(Not my recipe, so I don't want to post it under recipes).
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
(Not my recipe, so I don't want to post it under recipes)
Made this today! I even tried it and I didn't get sick! (From eating the squash, my cooking isn't THAT bad.) It definitely needed more time to cook and I did squeeze out a lot of moisture first, which leads to this question...do I measure the squash before or after squeezing? I had 2 cups prior to squeezing and 1 cup after. I went with the 1 cup and adjusted everything else so I got 3 small muffin pans. It tastes fine, but still wondering about that measurement. Also, did not sift. I was in a hurry.

Back