Need input

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never meant to insult Kathleen or anybody else. I thought I asked a question about how it could be perceived and wanted to encourage everyone to think bigger than just one day.
I used to feel that I could express myself here in this forum among friends. I guess I was mistaken.
I won't bother you again.

I think that's a great idea, even though we already offer a 15% discount year-round to military personnel (and I do other nice things for the military folks here). I actually also extend that discount to families visiting the guys here in a specific branch of service (which just so happens to be the branch in which I served). If I'm reading this correctly, you are suggesting just one room for one night out of our inventory?
Heck, I don't ask for IDs - when they show up in uniform, that's good enough for me
wink_smile.gif
I wouldn't expect something like this as a Retired veteran. But I think it's a great idea for the active duty men & women.
ps...I think this thread got a little out of hand which has happened with some other threads lately. One of the reasons why I have not been participating as much lately. I agree with SS, we can't intimate tone or expression when it's an electronic medium. Maybe folks need to seek clarification if they're not sure of the intent of another poster? I think this might avoid some harsh words that are appearing lately. Just my 2 cents....

I think that's a great idea, even though we already offer a 15% discount year-round to military personnel (and I do other nice things for the military folks here). I actually also extend that discount to families visiting the guys here in a specific branch of service (which just so happens to be the branch in which I served). If I'm reading this correctly, you are suggesting just one room for one night out of our inventory?
Heck, I don't ask for IDs - when they show up in uniform, that's good enough for me
wink_smile.gif
I wouldn't expect something like this as a Retired veteran. But I think it's a great idea for the active duty men & women.
ps...I think this thread got a little out of hand which has happened with some other threads lately. One of the reasons why I have not been participating as much lately. I agree with SS, we can't intimate tone or expression when it's an electronic medium. Maybe folks need to seek clarification if they're not sure of the intent of another poster? I think this might avoid some harsh words that are appearing lately. Just my 2 cents.....
Samster said:
ps...I think this thread got a little out of hand which has happened with some other threads lately. One of the reasons why I have not been participating as much lately. I agree with SS, we can't intimate tone or expression when it's an electronic medium. Maybe folks need to seek clarification if they're not sure of the intent of another poster? I think this might avoid some harsh words that are appearing lately. Just my 2 cents....
I completely agree. Since when did the automatic assupmtion be "negative, underhanded, or snide" instead of "innocent, above-board, or funny".
Maybe it has been forgotten that there are aspirings, lurkers, guests, and whatnot (whonot) among us. Those people wouldn't necessarily know all of GH's policies to the letter as we regulars do.
I know that I have developed a timidness to post and ask questions becuase of the recent inclination to belittle, blast, and run people off. I'd rather not be run off on a rail but leave of my own volition. I once commented that I thought I belonged here but due to the comments of one particular poster (who has now been banned) I'd started to question my place here.
Interesting (and sad) to me that other people are noticing it, too

I am here to learn all I can from people who are where I want to be. And I thank eveyone of you. You all will never know how much I have learned here. I had no ideal until I went to my first state B&B organization meeting. You all would of been very proud of me. I knew answers to most of the situations because of all the reading I have done here. The knowledge came from ALL of you. not just 1 or 2. Because we are all different, all of you gave different ideals, views whatever. PLEASE lets go on with an open mind.
Thanks for your time.
What I am most thankful for this year is ALL of you.

wink_smile.gif
ps...I think this thread got a little out of hand which has happened with some other threads lately. One of the reasons why I have not been participating as much lately. I agree with SS, we can't intimate tone or expression when it's an electronic medium. Maybe folks need to seek clarification if they're not sure of the intent of another poster? I think this might avoid some harsh words that are appearing lately. Just my 2 cents.....
Samster said:
I completely agree. Since when did the automatic assupmtion be "negative, underhanded, or snide" instead of "innocent, above-board, or funny".
Maybe it has been forgotten that there are aspirings, lurkers, guests, and whatnot (whonot) among us. Those people wouldn't necessarily know all of GH's policies to the letter as we regulars do.
I know that I have developed a timidness to post and ask questions becuase of the recent inclination to belittle, blast, and run people off. I'd rather not be run off on a rail but leave of my own volition. I once commented that I thought I belonged here but due to the comments of one particular poster (who has now been banned) I'd started to question my place here.
I am with you on this. Samster and I have been "on line" friends via various forums for more years than I can remember...maybe at least 8 years for me. I do not like the way things have gone here for the past few weeks.
This Forum says "INNspiring.com .... where innkeepers belong. I hope we can maintain this idea.
This is not a place to carp or criticize at one another. We have to allow some leeway for interpretation given the medium we are working in. If we all had web cameras and wanted to chat live face to face that would be a different thing. We all come from different places, and backgrounds. We all have our own ways of doing things. Variety is the spice of life. And that is what we do here...share with one another in an amiable way.
This site was put here because we did not like the way the other forum was being handled.
It was also put here to discuss innkeeping. There are other sites out there if you want to discuss your politics, religion, children, personal hobbies, pets and their pictures....etc etc.
Aspirings and current innkeepers come here to learn about innkeeping and glean ideas that may work for them. IF we can keep that in mind then we will stay on track.
I have finished my innkeeping career but still would like to share some of my experiences when I feel it will contribute to the cause. Let's all keep this in mind as we continue here with our forum. We all have lots to learn and to share.

Thanks to everyone for helping to clarify and instill some peace.

wink_smile.gif
Samster said:
I am with you on this. Samster and I have been "on line" friends via various forums for more years than I can remember...maybe at least 8 years for me. I do not like the way things have gone here for the past few weeks.
This Forum says "INNspiring.com .... where innkeepers belong. I hope we can maintain this idea.
This is not a place to carp or criticize at one another. We have to allow some leeway for interpretation given the medium we are working in. If we all had web cameras and wanted to chat live face to face that would be a different thing. We all come from different places, and backgrounds. We all have our own ways of doing things. Variety is the spice of life. And that is what we do here...share with one another in an amiable way.
This site was put here because we did not like the way the other forum was being handled.
It was also put here to discuss innkeeping. There are other sites out there if you want to discuss your politics, religion, children, personal hobbies, pets and their pictures....etc etc.
Aspirings and current innkeepers come here to learn about innkeeping and glean ideas that may work for them. IF we can keep that in mind then we will stay on track.
I have finished my innkeeping career but still would like to share some of my experiences when I feel it will contribute to the cause. Let's all keep this in mind as we continue here with our forum. We all have lots to learn and to share.
Very well said. Thank you.

I never meant to insult Kathleen or anybody else. I thought I asked a question about how it could be perceived and wanted to encourage everyone to think bigger than just one day.
I used to feel that I could express myself here in this forum among friends. I guess I was mistaken.
I won't bother you again..
Hey, everyone get a "loose hair" once in a while. Often what we think is a wisecrack is not seen as wise or a crack. I do not beg anyone to go or stay - that is your decisions. Snappy comebacks only work when the two people involved know each othe REAL well and it is known to be a comback.
I posted something on the other forum once about some thoughts I had about "Mr. Wonderful" (dripping with sarcasm here to clarify) DH that upset another and got the heat for it. It was not meant to hurt anyone, it was my feelings, but it did hurt and offend someone.
Remember some have been on one Forum or another together for several years so they know personalities. That does not mean others are not welcome - we welcome one and all - as long as they do not go "off the rails" and only SWIRT decides when the line is crossed, no one else.

wink_smile.gif
Samster said:
Penelope,
Please do not be timid. We all face comments - good, bad, and indifferent - every day. As innkeepers, we have to at times bite tongue, swallow hard as we smile, etc. Look at this aas a training ground for that too. The advantage of the Forum is that if someone says something you do not like, you can tell it to your screen in any tone of voice or words you care to use - without repercussions! It is only when your fingers do the talking that there is a confrontation.
So, when I say something that does not sit well, read it and say "What an idiot!" and go to the next thread. If it is REALLY idiotic to you, you just let your fingers say "Well, IMNVHO, I would do it this way....." However, if it IS me that you were adddressing, "You are an IDIOT!" is acceptable to me. It is a standard for my ears. As one woman who hates me told a mutual friend, "She just keeps coming back for more!"
So strap on your "armor" and enter the fray! it is informative, interesting, frustrating, and fun and you will meet a lot of truly nice, compassionate people without leaving your computer!

wink_smile.gif
Samster said:
It takes a lot of different types of folks to make up this community of innkeepers
regular_smile.gif
Don't be discouraged when you think that something is posted that sounds a bit brash. I would encourage you to seek clarification from the poster...that helps to avoid misinterpretation. If that doesn't work, there is an "ignore" function. lol!
I've learned a whole lot from these experienced innkeepers here. Really helped me to get open. AND, there are some real friends here now. I just seems like the forum ran amok for a brief period of time.
whattha.gif

Welcome back!! We missed you. Start a new thread and tell us how you enjoyed your mini-vacation.

Welcome back. I thought about you alot when I saw all that snow heading up I-81!!!!! And you also having to go through WV MTS!!!!! I've driven in it myself that way..not a fun time. Hope you enjoyed your trip. Anxious to hear what you did in Pittsburgh and where you ate.

We offer a 10% discount to miliatary year-round. Not all of them are home or get leave on Veterans day..
That is the point, those who DO had a day off or leave COULD come to see your inn and your hospitality as you say thank your for your service. I included retired as they have the ID also - and they do not need leave.
The Idea of keeping it to those with a military ID is to avoid those who got the Greetings! You are now in the Army for 2 years letters that my generation were still getting.
I am just wondering how much support there would be for it. Can you imagine how great the B & B industry would look to do that?
Being married to a vet, I think it's a great idea! Just make sure you get LOTS of publicity for it!!

OK, I am back to my original question:
How many of you would set aside one free room on November 10, 2009 for a Retired or Active Duty military couple?
That is what I was asking in the first place. I am trying to get an idea of how much support there would be to do this.

How many of you would set aside one free room on November 10, 2009 for a Retired or Active Duty military couple?
That is what I was asking in the first place. I am trying to get an idea of how much support there would be to do this..
Why don't you put this up as a poll. It would make it easier to count etc. Also, what are you really wanting to do here? Send out press releases stating X# of B&B's will be providing a 'free' night? If there is no real reason for you having this information, why not just leave it as a (IMMHO) VERY nice idea and let it go?
In other words, I am trying to find out what is driving you to know if we would do this or not.

That is what I was asking in the first place. I am trying to get an idea of how much support there would be to do this..
Why don't you put this up as a poll. It would make it easier to count etc. Also, what are you really wanting to do here? Send out press releases stating X# of B&B's will be providing a 'free' night? If there is no real reason for you having this information, why not just leave it as a (IMMHO) VERY nice idea and let it go?
In other words, I am trying to find out what is driving you to know if we would do this or not.
I am trying to get a feel for whether innkeepers would do it - because I think it would be a great way to show appreciation to those who actually are/were willing to put their life on the line for us - all over the Country. My thought is for every B & B in the Country (OK most) to make one room available free that one night.
Since we are all over the place, I thought this would be a good place to start. I guess a poll would be the way to go. And really has nothing to do with me specifically, the B & B industry stepping up and yes it would HAVE to have publicity for those it is to benefit could know about it.

Back