Need new dishes

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Girl

Reaction score
My dish supply is dwindling and I need new ones. I would like to find some pretty white or cream colored plates (and cups, etc.) that are dishwasher and microwave safe and that won't chip too easily. I am using a Mikasa pattern now that I love but they chip way too easily. Any suggestions?

I really like my Gibson Stoneware. They're heavy and hold up beautifully!

I've had luck finding a nice set of dishes at Tuesday Morning. They frequently have nice sets of white or cream dishes that are pretty but safe in the oven, micro, and dishwasher. Their prices are really good too.

I have had my Pfaltzgraff for years - going back to when the 2-leggerd beasts were still home. It holds up great - even with DH & me handling it. I recently found a nice - almost complete set of dishes at the secondhand store - for $20. I got several of my coffee pots at this store for $2! I can make up to 5 varieties of coffee any given morning.

I always get sets at estate sales whenever possible. I especially like to go on Sundays when most things will be half-price.
I've gotten complete sets of amazing china for less than $30 including serving pieces that way. Once I found a complete set of 8 that was a perfect match for my great-grandmother's Wedgewood. Cost? $25

Yup, estate sales, antique shops and thrift shops that however depends on how many you need, the quality you seek and your budget.

if you are comfortable with mix and match, as i am, you can buy 1 or 2 complete settings here and there ... and set the tables with these different patterns. it can be really sweet to have a complete place setting in one pattern at one seat, a different complete set at another ... i especially love this look using old patchwork quilts as tablecloths.

if you are comfortable with mix and match, as i am, you can buy 1 or 2 complete settings here and there ... and set the tables with these different patterns. it can be really sweet to have a complete place setting in one pattern at one seat, a different complete set at another ... i especially love this look using old patchwork quilts as tablecloths..
That sounds so sweet!

I have a favorite Homer Laughlin pattern that I collect and Ebay has been a great source.

Country Girl said:
My dish supply is dwindling and I need new ones. I would like to find some pretty white or cream colored plates (and cups, etc.) that are dishwasher and microwave safe and that won't chip too easily. I am using a Mikasa pattern now that I love but they chip way too easily. Any suggestions?
We use Fiesta ware. They are practically bullet proof!
thumbs_up.gif

Country Girl said:
We use Fiesta ware. They are practically bullet proof!
thumbs_up.gif
If it is the real Fiestaware and not a knock-off, it is Homer Laughlin from Newell, WV. I mention the knock-off because someone thought thye had Fiesta because of the strong colors and when looking at the mark, they were not.

I always get sets at estate sales whenever possible. I especially like to go on Sundays when most things will be half-price.
I've gotten complete sets of amazing china for less than $30 including serving pieces that way. Once I found a complete set of 8 that was a perfect match for my great-grandmother's Wedgewood. Cost? $25.
The original post was about dishes that would be both dishwasher and microwave safe and many china sets from estate sales (or antique dishes) would not meet that requirement.

My Pfaltzgraff does not chip and we used it in the nuker in Illinois - I had a nuker then - my pattern isthe Yorktown, a grayish with blue pattern. They have several patterns including white. They are heavy and substantial - they do not chip. They either survive the connection DH makes with the sink or faucet or they just break. Most of what I have has been in use for 25 years or more and survived the kids using them (and we did have a real dishwasher in Illinois, not just kids). Have broken more cups than anything else - handles.

I'm looking for the clear plates with a patterned background that Walmart used to sell. They came in both luncheon and dinner sizes. Mainstay was part of the name. I hoped WMT would continue to carry them, but didn't. Now I can't find them.

I've gotten complete sets of amazing china for less than $30 including serving pieces that way. Once I found a complete set of 8 that was a perfect match for my great-grandmother's Wedgewood. Cost? $25.
The original post was about dishes that would be both dishwasher and microwave safe and many china sets from estate sales (or antique dishes) would not meet that requirement.
Many won't. But you'd be amazed how many are. I get fabulous estate sale china all the time that goes right in the dishwasher and microwave. That's why I recommended it as an option for thrifty innkeepers who want a bit of panache without spending a lot of money. As with all things, the individual choices will vary.

Back